Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirty Dingo Motor Mounts -- Did I get the wrong set?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirty Dingo Motor Mounts -- Did I get the wrong set?

I ordered a set of Dirty Dingo LS adapters for my LS-swap into my Volvo, which previously had a first-generation 350 swapped into it. However, the mounts are drastically too short. Did I get the "car" (F-Body?) adapters, when I should've gotten the "truck" adapters??

Any feedback would be most appreciated! Hopefully Dirty Dingo would be able to exchange this set for the correct one...

Thanks in advance!

Attachment 723236

Attachment 723237

Attachment 723238
Old 05-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Dirty Dingo even make motor mounts that are Volvo compatible? I don't see anything on their website that is custom made to fit a Volvo. I'm doing a 242 LS swap and am waiting on a custom mount group buy that is in the works since there is still nothing available for the 200 series, despite the popularity of the swap. I take it your doing a swap in a 700 or 900 series? Info on the vehicle would help, did it have a JTR 350 V8 swap previously? If it had something custom to fit a SBC it may the same treatment to fit an LS.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to buy a motor mount plate that bolts to the engine then bolt the 350 bracket to that in the last picture. The mount you currently have bolted to the engine will not work.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I assume that third picture is of the mounts you were using on the 350. If so then the dirty dingo or the newer hooker mounts wont work, they replace the clamshell completely, what you need is something like this that is designed to adapt the old clamshell instead of replacing it.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gertbfrobe
Does Dirty Dingo even make motor mounts that are Volvo compatible? I don't see anything on their website that is custom made to fit a Volvo. I'm doing a 242 LS swap and am waiting on a custom mount group buy that is in the works since there is still nothing available for the 200 series, despite the popularity of the swap. I take it your doing a swap in a 700 or 900 series? Info on the vehicle would help, did it have a JTR 350 V8 swap previously? If it had something custom to fit a SBC it may the same treatment to fit an LS.
Correct, it had a 350 SBC on it prior to the LS. I figured I would just get a set of mounts that would bolt up to the LS block and the SBC-style clamshell mounts that I already have welded onto the subframe.

Here's my build.

Originally Posted by alocker
You need to buy a motor mount plate that bolts to the engine then bolt the 350 bracket to that in the last picture. The mount you currently have bolted to the engine will not work.

Originally Posted by jkr266
I assume that third picture is of the mounts you were using on the 350. If so then the dirty dingo or the newer hooker mounts wont work, they replace the clamshell completely, what you need is something like this that is designed to adapt the old clamshell instead of replacing it.
I thought about this as well; the reason I even went with this set was so that there was no "rise" in engine height, but I suppose now in hindsight that is negligible compared to my current situation.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alocker
x2 I would just grab a set of plates off ebay cheap to try them
Like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Conversion-1-Set-Back-Motor-Mount-Adapter-Plates-/271431960032?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f329b05e0
Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Wrong engine mounts period. Don't need adapter plates. If there was a small block in there before, all you need is the engine mounts. The way they angle down makes it off at least an inch on both sides. The sliders I got for my 2nd Gen(original SBC) from Dirty Dingo protrude out perpendicular from the mounting surface. Dropped straight in and worked out well. I'll send you a pic if need be. Dirty Dingo should swap those for you.

Edit: Looking at it again I'd have to bet somebody made custom engine mounts to extend far enough to reach the frame mounts. Probably the only surface on the frame for the clam shells, which obviously widened it significantly. Just another guess. That is a huge spread on the frame mounts.

Last edited by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird; 05-12-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: more advice
Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Got off the phone with Dirty Dingo a few hours ago. I didn't get the name of the gentleman who helped me, but he was pretty awesome.

As y'all've said, I need the adapter plates, not mounts. He knew this immediately, and offered to take back the set I purchased and instead get a set of the Double-D billet (or steel, apparently) adapter plates.

Makes sense. With the adapter plates on, I can re-use the long-reach engine mounts from the SBC and the motor will drop right in!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't say for sure but it almost looks as if the sliders from my JTR/E36 (BMW) kit would accomplish the same thing without the need for adapter plates. The JTR sliders bolt directly to the LSx blocks and attach to C4 rubber mounts, which appear to be very similar to what you've already got mounted in your Volvo.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 05-12-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
I can't say for sure but it almost looks as if the sliders from my JTR/E36 (BMW) kit would accomplish the same thing without the need for adapter plates. The JTR sliders bolt directly to the LSx blocks and attach to C4 rubber mounts, which appear to be very similar to what you've already got mounted in your Volvo.

Tipsy

Very similar. The SBC kit that this car originally had back when it had a Gen I 350 was indeed JTR's own Volvo 700-series conversion kit. The mounts are, in fact, JTR SBC mounts!

Quick Reply: Dirty Dingo Motor Mounts -- Did I get the wrong set?