Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lm7 th350 mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lm7 th350 mounting question

long time lurking just made a account to ask some questions... and maybe help some people out when i'm done
so i pulled my sbc out and swapped in the lm7. when i was under the truck threading in the bell housing bolts i noticed the passenger side wasn't lining up correctly not mounting the block flush I'm sure I could zip it down with a impact or a ratchet but if i not mistaken there should be about a 1/8 of space between the flexplate and torque converter and the trans just mount up to the motor? what would cause this?

side note it seems like the torque converter doesn't want to spin freely with the driver side having bellhousing bolts hand tight
i did seat the converter all the way down the before the motor was dropped in is it possible that it unseated when I was gettting the engine in place?
Old 05-16-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you using a spacer for the converter snout? I had to machine mine down (it was too tall and causing the same thing I think you are describing)
Old 05-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
are you using a spacer for the converter snout? I had to machine mine down (it was too tall and causing the same thing I think you are describing)
yeah i am that's interesting i did get the space from gm i noticed when i was elongating the holes that the spacer would get stick onto the converter like it was a very tight fit
Old 05-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I used the LQ4/4L80e flywheel and spacer and it bolted right up.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wngnt954
I used the LQ4/4L80e flywheel and spacer and it bolted right up.
Yeah I kinda wish I went this route but I would love to get a solution to the problem I described since I have everything I would rather not buy more things I don't necessarily need
thanks for the input though
Old 05-17-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you need to clearance the trans case for the top bolts of the rear oil seal cover? I had to do this for my 200R4. Without the "notches", the bell was 3/8" away from the block...
Attached Thumbnails lm7 th350 mounting question-100_0976s.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Did you need to clearance the trans case for the top bolts of the rear oil seal cover? I had to do this for my 200R4. Without the "notches", the bell was 3/8" away from the block...
Thanks for the idea but the th350 case is hollow up there where you clearanced. I slid the motor forward and the torque converter did seat back about 1/4 of a inch (which it could have moved out when i pulled the motor forward). I got the bell housing bolted back up, but I didn't check the to see if everything was lined up today, its getting hot down here in southern AZ
I'll check tomorrow when i have some time and let the forum know for future reference
EDIT: I guess I shouldnt say hollow but there was no interference with the top just the bottom passanger being out of place .

EDIT2:
Everything was aligned if anyone else has the same problem I just reseated the torque converter and went together smoothly just bolted the converter to the flex-plate everything was happy.

Last edited by xRec; 05-24-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: lm7 th350 mounting question