Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 chevelle lq4 build

Old 05-25-2015, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 chevelle lq4 build

last weekend I bought a 71 chevelle, ive bee looking for the past 6 months for a decent chevelle. I found this one for a steal and have had a lot of offers from others to sell it. but ive seen a lot of people making a lot of power with these lq4 motors with a turbo. the chevelle is all original, almost everything will be replaced. the car is fairly solid, the only rust is a little above the rear wheel wells, a little about the passenger side tail light and a little on the driver side lower front fender. as far the exterior the only spot on the interior is the trunk pan. the plan for the car is a street/strip car that can make it into the low 10's. the plan for the motor will be an lq4 with a custom cam, S480 with batmowheel turbo, a set of 317 heads worked over, cant decide on intake. transmission will be a turbo 400 with transbrake, 12 bolt rear. Am I on the right track as far as a 10 second car? I have read a lot about these engines and everyone as there own opinion on what works. the purpose for this thread is to get a plan so I can get the right parts the first time around and not waste time and money.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

this is what I have to start from
Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

can I use the turbo 400 trans I have or do I need to get a 4l80e with a turbo LQ4 build? If I can use the turbo 400 whats gonna be the benefits of each transmission?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can use the th400 or the 4l80e, the benefit is overdrive with the 80e . Also depends on what computer you use if you want to run the 80e get the original gm harness Redone if you wana use the th400 I recomend microsquirt fron efisource
Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

will the 80e require having the trans tunnel modified? and as far as a turbo street/strip car which is going to be more reliable? this is all new to me, i use to be a diesel mechanic and built a sled pulling truck, i had a ls1 Camaro that i had i did a few things to nothing crazy. any help or advice i can get will be greatly appreciated, i have a little body work to do so im getting that done while i get a plan together. i want to get a parts list together so im not doing things twice. i want a car that can be driven on the street reliably but be a low 10 second car where its not to the point it will be where it is pushing the limits or turned all the way up. if that's possible, i want to build a stock bottom end lq4 and see where i can get with that and more then likely build a 370 done the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 71 chevelle lq4 build