Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley EFI dominator with dakota digital dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley EFI dominator with dakota digital dash

I’m in the process of installing a LY6/76mm turbo and 4L80 into a 87 grand national. I talked with Justin at Dakota today and was inquiring about using Holley EFI dominator with their dash. He’s says it not do able but I have a hard time understanding that. If it can work with a GM ECU and TCU why wouldn’t it work with Holley EFI dominator? I’ve been searching but haven’t found much on using the digital dash with the GM computers and how they interface. I know guys are using the stock analog dash’s but they would pretty much have to use a mechanical drive conversion on the tail housing on the 4L80 which is around 550 from Jake’s, I haven’t searched other adaptors because my plan is to run a stage 3 with trans brake since he’s pretty much local to me in Ft Worth. If anyone has an good links for setting something like this up I’d appreciate the help.

On another note I have a PSI harness for the LY6/4L80E and both computers. Would I better off using them and finding a local tuner in DFW area to get the tune ironed out? If I went this route I would have Jake do the mechanical conversion but what about getting RPM’s to work on the original dash? As far as the oil and water stuff I can find another place on the engine to get these to work.

If someone has a different route I haven’t thought about im all ears I just want everything to appear as stock as possible. If anyone recommends a tuner in the DFW id also like that feedback.

Thanks
Austin
Old 05-26-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's all about the CANBUS and they're definitely not equal. Picture trying to run MAC software on a Windows OS...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wondering the same thing. I have both and it's going to suck if I can't use the gauges.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My impression is analog outputs from the Dominator ECU should be compatible with the analog inputs from the DD VHX analog box.... The Dominator is capable of driving analog gauges. The DD VHX box is compatible with analog signals from tach drive, speed sensors, hall effect sensors, etc. I think you should be good.

I have a Dakota Digital STA 1000 which pulls speed and rpm from OBDII CAN and drives analog gauges and that works flawlessly. It is very flexible to output different pulses per mile on the speedo, supports different cylinder counts for the tach, etc.

Doug
Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Since the Dominator has a huge number of outputs, I see no reason why you couldn't configure those outputs to mimic the various sensor outputs that are already being fed to the Dominator ECU. The Dominator already has a "Tach out" as part of the harness. The Volt meter is standalone and can be picked up almost anywhere. The Fuel level is standalone and requires wiring to the sender.

So all you have to do is program the oil pressure sensor output, coolant sensor output, and fuel pressure output (if you need it). The pressure sensors are 0-5V and the CTS is a thermister.

If you use the Holley digital dash all of these sensor outputs go to the Holley CAN bus.

Andrew
Old 05-27-2015, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

At this point i think just going with the Holley digital display would be 10x's easier. i just have a hard time believing that the Holley system couldn't be set up to talk with the Dakota dash since it's all canbus. i think it's just calibrating hte correct inputs like you said would be the biggest hassle.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by toyin
At this point i think just going with the Holley digital display would be 10x's easier. i just have a hard time believing that the Holley system couldn't be set up to talk with the Dakota dash since it's all canbus. i think it's just calibrating hte correct inputs like you said would be the biggest hassle.
You would only have to configure three pins, as the rest of the inputs come from their own sensor.

The CAN connector on the Dominator harness is just two wires, but I have no idea as to how it works.

I'm using the Holley Dash and it's awesome. You can have as many screens as you want, each one for different purposes. For example: street driving, race, diagnostic, etc. You easily toggle between the screens by touching the actual screen.

Just build a custom mount for your car and off you go. It'll be less expensive and less hassle than the DD gauges.

Andrew
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know for fact the Speed Hut CANBUS gauges will NOT work with a Holley ECM. They are (only) designed for factory systems...
Old 05-28-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I know for fact the Speed Hut CANBUS gauges will NOT work with a Holley ECM. They are (only) designed for factory systems...
True, but that is predictable. They draw their speed and rpm, temp, etc. data from OBDII standard.

Analog is just either a sine or square wave form of a given frequency and amplitude. Holley outputs that to be compatible with original and a broad spectrum of other gauges. And I'm sure the output is adjustable (IE you can do likely a range of pulses / mile for the speedo output) to adjust for final drive gear.

Surprised, though, their tech support person didn't explain this properly to the OP.

Doug
Old 05-28-2015, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DW SD

Surprised, though, their tech support person didn't explain this properly to the OP.

Doug
This is probably because it has never been done. The possibility for use of the outputs is only limited by your imagination. Want to turn on your headlights when RPM reaches a certain point? Easy...you get the idea.

Andrew
Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stumbled onto this post looking for something else LS CANbus related.

I have a gateway unit available that will do Holley EFI CAN output to anything. Worked this up over the summer for some go fast boat buddies running HEFI systems and marine displays/plotters. N2k is a different protocol on the "output" side from Dakota, but it's a simple change to make it work. Need a little data from DD, and something to test it on.

I actually spoke to DD rep about this a while back. Just haven't had anyone ask, so on back burner.. Hardware details showing what gauges we capture is at: http://marinemods.us/products/can-2-can.html

PM me if interested. Now who's a good 08+ GMLAN hacker on here??

-K
Old 02-10-2017, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talk to Dakota digital,they have a module coming out that it plug and play with Holley efi and sends all info to there guages..will be out in a couple weeks.they are doing final testing now ..
Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear DD followed through, I love their gauge cluster options.

Shortly after last post here I spoke with an Engineer at DD about compatibility. They actually run a much different physical CANbus network and protocol than our gateways or OEM networks operate at. So collaborating with them on our setup offered no value to either party. They did comment at the time about a HEFI compatible adapter being in the works.

A couple off the wall builds we have supplied gateways to involved Baja trucks running chart plotters for navigation. Also cracked the HS GMLAN protocol last year. Now offering late model GM engine trans data into J1939, NMEA and other outputs. May be of use to someone hooking up HEFI engine to GM TCM. Or LS swaps into custom driveline configurations.

-K
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I talk to Dakota digital,they have a module coming out that it plug and play with Holley efi and sends all info to there guages..will be out in a couple weeks.they are doing final testing now ..
This will be awesome! Presumably it will just connect to the Holley CAN bus...

Andrew
Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel like I am missing something...I have a Holley Terminator LS System (same as dominator) and I have what needs to be hooked up to my dakota digital VHX guages just fine.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the tach and speedometer and that's doable.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
I feel like I am missing something...I have a Holley Terminator LS System (same as dominator) and I have what needs to be hooked up to my dakota digital VHX guages just fine.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the tach and speedometer and that's doable.
Did you duplicate certain sensors?

Andrew
Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Did you duplicate certain sensors?

Andrew
Tach signal I got from the main holley harness. There's a wire for that and I connected it to the VHX module for tach

Gauge Water temp came off the sensor supplied by Dakota Digital for the gauge cluster

Gauge Oil pressure came off the motor with the supplied sensor Dakota Digital for the gauge cluster

Volts came off the battery through the gauge cluster

Speedo is a little tricker as I had to set a special pin-out and I think I even added a wire and terminal to the holley harness

I covered that in this thread

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...-it?highlight=
Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
Tach signal I got from the main holley harness. There's a wire for that and I connected it to the VHX module for tach

Gauge Water temp came off the sensor supplied by Dakota Digital for the gauge cluster

Gauge Oil pressure came off the motor with the supplied sensor Dakota Digital for the gauge cluster

Volts came off the battery through the gauge cluster

Speedo is a little tricker as I had to set a special pin-out and I think I even added a wire and terminal to the holley harness

I covered that in this thread

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...-it?highlight=
So if the DD integration with the Holley is anything like the Holley Digital dash, the only thing that you would need to connect is a simple 2 wire connector that will go off the Holley CAN bus. No extra sensors to install and no outputs to configure.

Andrew
Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
So if the DD integration with the Holley is anything like the Holley Digital dash, the only thing that you would need to connect is a simple 2 wire connector that will go off the Holley CAN bus. No extra sensors to install and no outputs to configure.

Andrew
Yeah I don't know about that, There's no can bus wire on the dakota dash module that I can remember.

It wasn't that big of a deal because I was running wire and hooking stuff up anyways, a few extra things didn't bother me.

The OP said he was having a hard time because he claimed issues with the Dakota Digital Dash and a Dominator ECU thinking he can't use Dakota's Gauges.....I just wanted to point out it's possible.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Is this the module?
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...od/prd1104.htm

Quick Reply: Holley EFI dominator with dakota digital dash