Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Chevelle LS Conversion - A/C Condenser ?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Chevelle LS Conversion - A/C Condenser ?

The car is a 68 Malibu Convertible with factory A/C. It's new heart and soul will be a 5.3/4L60-E from an 01 Tahoe. Harness and Computer from the same Tahoe. Also I will be using the Tahoe A/C Compressor.

Now the question:
I have been looking for as big of a Parallel Flow condenser as I can fit, to mount in place of the old, inefficient (for 134a at least) condenser. I am also looking to do away with the POA and go to an orifice tube system. I will have to make the lines/hoses from scratch no matter what, but I need to have all the hard parts in place first. So in light of that, the fitting type on the condenser is irrelevant, so there SHOULD be a ton of possibilities, but I have searched this to the point of exhaustion and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. So I guess NOW is finally the question, has anyone done this on a 68 and what did YOU use?

Part #'s or links would be GREAT but I will take any and all advice I can get. I am at the point that the searching has to end and the working MUST resume!!!

Thanks in advance!
Cody
Old 08-18-2015, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Have you looked into the condensors for that Tahoe? Those factory systems are designed well and work great. something like this?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=514&jpid=1
Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Well I had thought about it but had not looked at it, as I bought the whole vehicle but it was hit in the front end and it was too bent up to get much info from it. However with the dimensions from the link you sent it would be too big by quite a bit. I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of 15x28x1, give or take an inch here or there. I did try the factory condensor out of a 95 Tahoe, core dimensions of 16x30x2, it was too big, but if I didn't care what it looked like, it could have been made functional, although not easily.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

This is from a 2002 camaro. Pretty close in size for your application.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=503&jpid=0
Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Looks like it could work, not sure about the fitting coming out on the top, headlight may be in the way, but I will definitely put it on my list for when I head to the salvage yard later in the week to pick stuff up. After your last post I spent a little time picking things at random on Rock Auto's site and came across this 1 for an s-10 with the 4.3. Supposedly fits from 94-04 s-10's and blazers, so it should be super easy to come up with a used one for mock-up. So it currently leads my list.

www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2783232&cc=1353619&jnid=803&jpid=0

Last edited by ramechanic4; 08-19-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgot Link

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 Chevelle LS Conversion - A/C Condenser ?