Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Fuel Tank Leaking

I am using the Tanks Inc Fuel Injection tank on my 1968 Camaro swap and I have a problem with fuel leaking. My first problem was with the pipe thread fittings on the pump assembly. I used Teflon tape and tightened them to what I thought was enough torque. When I went to prime the system, I had a massive fuel leak from the pipe threads and had to drop the tank (Luckily only 4 gallons in there) and reinstall the pipe adapter fittings with some gasoline compatible pipe thread sealing compound. It seemed like it took a lot of torque to get the fittings to go in more than about two threads, but I got that leak resolved (I think). Right now I have the tank about 7/8ths full and after I drive a little bit the bottom of the tank gets a greasy substance on it and the recess around the pump and sender gets slightly wet. It appears that I am leaking fuel from one or both of the gaskets and by the time it runs down to the bottom of the tank it basically evaporates and leaves the greasy residue. I want to know if anybody else has had similar issues and what you did about it. Since this is my first tank since the start up, I planned to run it down to as close to empty as I can and see if the leaking subsides. This would tell me if it is a fitting leaking or a gasket. It will also make the tank easier to drop. What do you guys think of my plan and what do you think it is?
Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go get some loctite anarobic(spelling) flange sealer, the red gel looking stuff. I was taught to use this stuff on the bottom of dirtbike carbs and stuff that would leak when gas would eat up regular rtv.

I used it on the fittings threads and on both sides of the gasket on my tanks inc setup in my 71 nova.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Rennat. I was thinking I should try some kind of sealant.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think i would siphon the the tank and drop it and fix it, if you are waiting to use up most of the gasoline then drop the tank you may end up too late and in a fireball on the side of the road, don't want to mess with gasoline leaks and vapors.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Let me guess...Tanks, Inc sent you the black rubber gaskets.

Do yourself a favor, call them up, order the cork gasket set. The use Permatex 80019 aviation sealer on the cork. Also, ditch those ridiculous o-rings they put on the bolts and just put some aviation sealer on the bolts when you install them.

When I installed the Tanks, Inc tank in my Cougar the rubber gaskets started swelling within 6 weeks. I called, they sold me cork gaskets and gave me the aviation sealer tip. I don't understand why they just don't do this for every kit they sell.

To drain most of the tank you can just hot wire the fuel pump.

Andrew
Old 08-20-2015, 07:00 AM
TECH Regular

Good call Andrew. I will do that.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have no idea why they sent the rubber gaskets made from that material. As Andrew and I experienced, they might as well be fuel filters since they aren't worth a damn at sealing. Oh well, at least we know the solution.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 08-20-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Yes I ordered the cork gaskets from Tanks and the sealant from my local Ace. I should be all fixed up soon. Thank you all for the input.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
Yes I ordered the cork gaskets from Tanks and the sealant from my local Ace. I should be all fixed up soon. Thank you all for the input.
Let us know how it works out. I am really impressed with the aviation sealer. By what I can gather, it is a really old product, but it definitely has it's place in certain applications, like this!

Andrew

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Leaking