Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 boosted Jimmy (aka slow motion)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 boosted Jimmy (aka slow motion)

Gonna beat a dead horse a bit. Bought a 5.3 the other day. Plans are to leave it stock bottom end, turbo it, some head work, head studs, cam it and a few other things. I've got a question on a stall. Is there a specific stall for a turbo, or is a stall a stall?

Last edited by LSLucas; 10-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stall should be based on the Cam's power band... you need to give more info on the engine (some given), Cam, type of power band (rpm) and type of drive (street, drag, Auto-x, road, etc). Rear end ratio.

But the general rules of using a stall is like any other engine/trans requirement.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Gonna do a little better run down on this. The plans are:
5.3, SBE. Gonna get arp rod connecting bolts and that's it. LH8 oil pan kit. The engine only has 134K on it, still has the cross hatches in the cylinder walls. 99 model engine, cast block, aluminum head engine.

Cam wise, Tick Performance stage 3 turbo cam.

Gonna replace the oil pump with a Melling (factory spec)

Intake wise, Holley LS single plane intake manifold with a elderbrock 120 degree elbow and a 90mm elderbrock throttle body.

80mm fuel injectors.

Heads, stock with .550 springs from Tick Performance and a 4 angle valve job. And it's getting head studded of course.

Turbonetics 78mm turbo "Benita"
TiAL bov and wastegate

I'll more than likely build my headers since I've found a setup I kinda like already.

What brand intercooler, I'm not sure yet.

Backing it with a TH 400 trans.

32-3600 stall, not sure where from yet.

May get a ford 8.8 and have it built, or use the stock rear end and have axles built and put a unit in it.

Gonna get a harness from BP Automitive sine they're pretty local to me.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll add to it I'm sure
Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't quote me on this, because I don't know ****, but since a turbo requires oil for lubrication, and generally uses the engine's oil to do so... Wouldn't it behoove you to use a high volume oil pump? Other than that, sounds like a good plan. Probably going to want the 3600 stall for the stage three cam, maybe even higher unless 32-3600 is what Martin recommends for his stage three cam.

What rear gear are you planning on using?

What is this boosted Jimmy going to be used for, primarily?
Old 10-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Teching In

I think the site calls for 32-3600, I'll more than likely call and see which they'll recommend. As far as gear, 355. And it'll be mostly street driven, might see the occasional track pass every now and then.

Quick Reply: 98 boosted Jimmy (aka slow motion)