Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 ElCo 5.3 swap, stock tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 ElCo 5.3 swap, stock tranny?

I am putting a 5.3 with some mods (243 heads, PRC springs, LS7 lifters, custom ground cam, FAST 90mm) into my 85 El Camino, but I'm wondering if the stock tranny can handle it. If it can, about how long do you think it'll last until I blow it up just driving it as a cruiser and no launches (yet).

Reason I ask, is because I am saving money to get a decent 4l80e to put in there. I just need it up and running as soon as possible until then.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Since you didn't specify I'm assuming you are talking about a stock turbo 350 trans. If the trans is in good condition you will be fine. As a cruiser you will have no issues at all with the turbo 350 strength.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You probably have a 200 metric trany in there ,in its stock form not a high torque friendly trany , if its a 350 you would be ok , but yes it will run with the 200 , just be very gental until you get a stouter trany in there , or start with a beefier trany
Old 09-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964SS
Since you didn't specify I'm assuming you are talking about a stock turbo 350 trans. If the trans is in good condition you will be fine. As a cruiser you will have no issues at all with the turbo 350 strength.
Originally Posted by ijimmy
You probably have a 200 metric trany in there ,in its stock form not a high torque friendly trany , if its a 350 you would be ok , but yes it will run with the 200 , just be very gental until you get a stouter trany in there , or start with a beefier trany
PERFECT! That's what I wanted to know.

Thanks guys!

Btw, I have no idea what tranny it is. I just know it's a column shifter. I didn't really care what tranny was in it, I bought it running and driving for $2k and got it solely to do the LS swap anyway.

Quick Reply: 85 ElCo 5.3 swap, stock tranny?