Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian insurance that will cover engine swapped cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian insurance that will cover engine swapped cars?

Hey guys,
I'm having a hard time finding an insurance company that will cover my engine swapped vehicle. Classic car insurance will accept it, but I'm 3 months away from having the required 10 years of driving experience. I need to find an insurance company that will cover my car for those 3 months.

Thanks,

Vlad
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Quick search led me to a migee website discussion on this topic.

Short answer is no. It's not happening. Performance mods, including engine swaps, seem to be an immediate NO.

The article said you can demand insurance through a facility provider...?

It apparently forces an insurer to cover you for the actual cash value of the vehicle... But aforementioned actual cash value is up to the insurer... So keep your receipts?

Do not lie.

Apparently they really bone people for undisclosed modifications. Like don't pay anything because you broke the contract. Lawsuits for falsifying information/breech of contract. Legal action against you for fraud. Some companies even send an adjuster to take pictures of your car to determine if it's modified, as soon as you get the policy, so be careful.

You probably already know all that, but here's the link:
http://www.migee.com/2013/01/05/insu...anada-ontario/
Old 09-09-2015, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Quick search led me to a migee website discussion on this topic.

Short answer is no. It's not happening. Performance mods, including engine swaps, seem to be an immediate NO.

The article said you can demand insurance through a facility provider...?

It apparently forces an insurer to cover you for the actual cash value of the vehicle... But aforementioned actual cash value is up to the insurer... So keep your receipts?

Do not lie.

Apparently they really bone people for undisclosed modifications. Like don't pay anything because you broke the contract. Lawsuits for falsifying information/breech of contract. Legal action against you for fraud. Some companies even send an adjuster to take pictures of your car to determine if it's modified, as soon as you get the policy, so be careful.

You probably already know all that, but here's the link:
http://www.migee.com/2013/01/05/insu...anada-ontario/
Thanks for the info, I figured that was the case. I guess I'll just have to store my car till December.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Gore and one other company but can't remember the name with my LS swapped mustang. Just call your broker and get them to find you one. They may not insure it for full value until you have an appraisal.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I have an LS in my 80 Z28 with turbo. I am insured by Hagerty
Old 09-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm out west, so this may not be applicable to your situation but there is a company out this way (at least) called "competition insurance inc" - https://www.competition.ca/ that insures classics, race cars etc...
Old 09-18-2015, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nmccann
I'm out west, so this may not be applicable to your situation but there is a company out this way (at least) called "competition insurance inc" - https://www.competition.ca/ that insures classics, race cars etc...
I believe they are still under Hagerty, so I would need my 10 years.

I did a lot of research on this and called countless brokers. It still looks like I have to wait until my 10 years in December. Echelon is the only company that takes classic/modified cars with no age restrictions, but your car must be at least 20 years old if its modified in any way.

For newer cars, Aviva is the cheapest way, but you must have 10 years driving experience. Hagerty/lant are close, but from the quote I got were a couple hundred bucks more expensive

Quick Reply: Canadian insurance that will cover engine swapped cars?