Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric power steering pump.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The post and question are not about upgrading performance. Nobody has to guess or assume anything about what it is for. The OP clearly states that the engine he currently has, an L83, does not have a power steering pump. He is looking for an easy retrofit solution.

I can see why using an oem electric power steering pump that can be found in the junkyard would be more appealing than buying/mounting brackets, a belt driven power steering pump, and getting a new belt of the proper length.

Just mounting an electric power steering pump any place it will fit and plugging in some wires is an attractive alternative.

And if he isn't racing his full size pickup truck through the cones every Saturday morning, then an electric pump will probably be just fine.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to Chevrolet Performance Parts while I was on the HRPT and they said the will have a pump/ bracket out for this at the end of the year
Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
The post and question are not about upgrading performance. Nobody has to guess or assume anything about what it is for. The OP clearly states that the engine he currently has, an L83, does not have a power steering pump. He is looking for an easy retrofit solution.

I can see why using an oem electric power steering pump that can be found in the junkyard would be more appealing than buying/mounting brackets, a belt driven power steering pump, and getting a new belt of the proper length.

Just mounting an electric power steering pump any place it will fit and plugging in some wires is an attractive alternative.

And if he isn't racing his full size pickup truck through the cones every Saturday morning, then an electric pump will probably be just fine.
I agree, the electro hydraulic can work for many, but they are not a good performance solution if that's what the application requires.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to use a belt driven pump. Its just at this point no one makes a bracket for the l83. And yes I could probably cobble together a bracket but I am not a design engineer type of person and it would look like crap and probably break before long. I am not incompetent by any means I have been racing for a long time and currently my little Luv truck which is totally garage built will run a 5.0 1/8th with a little sbc. If you dont believe me ask James Love from OK. Here is a vid of the Luv. Kinda wounded it on that pass. Lol

But anyway I didnt want to start a big deal I just want to build a really cool street truck and I am trying to solve my problems before I start setting the engine.

Last edited by frige; 09-16-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what its worth, I got my electric p/s setup functioning. It's in a 5 series BMW using the Volvo V40 pump. Granted, it's not quite as heavy as the OP's vehicle. I don't notice any abnormal qualities/ flaws so far (the car is still in the "shakedown" phase and has only been driven around the block). The steering was the one thing I had no worries about after the test drive. It works really well.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look at the electric steering from the equinox or hhr. The unit goes between the steering wheel and the rack. we use them on a lot of cars where you don't want the fluid and or want adjustable torque. Cheap under $200
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EFIHARNESS
look at the electric steering from the equinox or hhr. The unit goes between the steering wheel and the rack. we use them on a lot of cars where you don't want the fluid and or want adjustable torque. Cheap under $200
Also check the Saturn VUE electronic power steering unit. They are adjustable & can be found in the yards for pretty cheap also. They go between the steering wheel & the steering rack too.

Here's a video on it
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

Obviously that was convenient for the guy in the video, but that's one hell of an angle for the UJ to run at

Other thing to note about a proper hydraulic PAS rack, vs an assisted column on an otherwise old mechanical non assisted rack. Often the proper hydraulic rack is far fewer turns lock to lock which is good for anything that gets driven hard
Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

X2 Saturn vue
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Bumping this old thread because I am looking for info on retrofitting the volvo pump in to my drift car. I recently purchased an RX7 with the volvo pump and am confused by all these "no good with quick inputs" statements. It works awesome in the RX with 65ish degrees of angle and I can't think of anything that takes more steering inputs then drifting. Also, almost the entire FD field is using electric steering of some sort.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:31 PM
9 Second Club

Except with drifting, most of the fast steering is achieved with the drivers letting go of the steering wheel and allowing the suspension geometry etc to actually change direction. Less so the driver actually making steering changes.

If you have seen people using the system you want for the type of usage you want, then that should prove they are viable.

But I know people for road course or circuit racing on sticky tyres where such systems have not worked well at all.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Except with drifting, most of the fast steering is achieved with the drivers letting go of the steering wheel and allowing the suspension geometry etc to actually change direction. Less so the driver actually making steering changes.

If you have seen people using the system you want for the type of usage you want, then that should prove they are viable.

But I know people for road course or circuit racing on sticky tyres where such systems have not worked well at all.
ah that makes sense. Yeah, a lot of it beyond the initiation point is controlled with throttle inputs and such rather then actual steering input. I guess I was misinterpreting steering input as steering movement.

thanks for clearing that up.

Quick Reply: electric power steering pump.