Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which LS motor to replace LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Which LS motor to replace LT1?

Well, after doing a ton of research, i think it's best to let the LT1 go. It had a good run, but the LSx design is too good to deny.

Anyways, I've got a few ideas. I have a 96 TA M6, and i always wanted to have a 6.6L motor in a 4th gen. What LSx motor can be bored out to 400?

Another idea, was making a high revving 5.3L. Eventually this will be an autocross type car, and i want alot of speed to go with it. Ideally, I'd love to be able to break 200mph with this car.

Which LSx would be the ideal foundation to start with?
Old 10-31-2015, 03:53 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

The 6.0L iron engines (LQ4/LQ9) are plentiful and easy to find. You can't just bore them out to 400ci though, you'll need a stroker crank. A 4.005" bore and 4.00" stroke crank will get you 403ci. Since you want to Autocross the car, an aluminum block may be a better idea though.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If you are planning on doing a LS swap I'd highly recommend to get a complete donor car.

It's much easier that way instead of trying to piece together a swap kit. There are several threads going on where people are swapping LSx into LT1 cars.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
If you are planning on doing a LS swap I'd highly recommend to get a complete donor car.

It's much easier that way instead of trying to piece together a swap kit. There are several threads going on where people are swapping LSx into LT1 cars.
No need, i most likely won't be using an LS out of an fbody simply because people are insane with their asking prices. The people with trucks seem to have some real sense still. On Craigslist this is how it is.

When i get ready to do this swap, it's not going to be street legal anymore. Looks are of no importance, only function.

I know i was gonna have to stroke it and what not, is there a combo to get me exactly 400cid? But in reality, that's just to be able to slap a 6.6 sticker on the hood, haha.

In thinking a 5.3 might be a good foundation. Still a ton to consider.

It's either an LSx motor, or go with the Stealth Ram Jet from Holley.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a hold of a 6.0 Lq4 or Lq9 block and get a 408 stroker kit. That equals out to 6.68 cubic inches. This is actually a very common stroker setup for the 6.0 block.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looking at it again a 402 would be closer at 6.590 as you would just round it up to 6.6 None of them come out perfect.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:53 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by demonsmokr
No need, i most likely won't be using an LS out of an fbody simply because people are insane with their asking prices. The people with trucks seem to have some real sense still. On Craigslist this is how it is.

When i get ready to do this swap, it's not going to be street legal anymore. Looks are of no importance, only function.

I know i was gonna have to stroke it and what not, is there a combo to get me exactly 400cid? But in reality, that's just to be able to slap a 6.6 sticker on the hood, haha.

In thinking a 5.3 might be a good foundation. Still a ton to consider.

It's either an LSx motor, or go with the Stealth Ram Jet from Holley.
I had a buddy do the swap with a donor car. It was a wrecked Z28 and I think he paid like $1800 for it. He just dropped the k member with the brakes, suspension, engine, and trans attached and swapped it all over to his 95 Formula. It looked pretty easy.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KCS
I had a buddy do the swap with a donor car. It was a wrecked Z28 and I think he paid like $1800 for it. He just dropped the k member with the brakes, suspension, engine, and trans attached and swapped it all over to his 95 Formula. It looked pretty easy.
That would be perfect. But it's hard to find wrecked cars that haven't been stripped yet. Unless you get setup in the auctions.

There's a ton of options out there. My main reasoning for the LSx is that's what the industry is geared toward right now.

But i could still go old school with a SBC setup with the Stealth Ram. The LSx is a very streetable motor, even once decked out.

There's too many options. Id hate to commit to something just to change my mind halfway through. So, I'm trying to get that **** figured out before i start throwing money in different directions.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

5.3 motors are cheap and work well. The only real downfall is that the **** adds up quick if you need to swap out the truck intake, pan and front accessory drive to make it work in your car.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a super nice LS k Member complete and clean $150,but you need to have it shipped...its clean and complete from rotors calipers struts springs steering rack..
Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tta656
I have a super nice LS k Member complete and clean $150,but you need to have it shipped...its clean and complete from rotors calipers struts springs steering rack..
Where are you?

I've decided on the LQ4. Seems will be the best bang for the buck foundation wise.

I've done some reading, need to do a ton more, but this is the route I'm going. Just too much hassle to squeeze out good power from the LT1.

So, my next endeavor is to figure out what should be my donor. Are the LQ4s entirely the same between the Chevy vans and trucks? What about the GMC counterparts? Are there any tuning differences?

I guess that doesn't really matter does it? I'll be swapping parts and getting it tuned anyway, derp.

Well, my search is on. Vans seem to be cheaper than the trucks.

Gotta do some homework and make sure i don't get a crap block. That's why i want to go with a complete donor that runs and drives. Remove alot of doubt from the start.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stay away from the 99-00 Lq4 as they had longer cranks and iron heads. As I understand the differences were just in the tune. 05 and up received LS2 rods.

Quick Reply: Which LS motor to replace LT1?