Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Chevelle LSA/4L80E Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by korndawg
I'm using dirty dingo slider mounts. Location is TBD on those. They allow for 2" of rear adjustment. When will those Holley mounts be available? Work w my SW headers? And yes, still going to use the stock evap case.
My guess is that it will be a few weeks before the engine brackets hit the shelf, but I have no way to confirm that they will be compatible with your SW headers since the Hooker brackets are designed around 4th-gen F-body engine mounts, I also just noticed your oil pan in your photos, which will not be compatible with the lower height geometry of the Hooker engine brackets...the Holley 302-2 pan is the only pan I'm aware of that will install with them. I really dig your car and wish there was Hooker components that I could guide you to that would solve some of the compatibility issues you are going to have to work through, but I'm at a loss to be able to do so.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
My guess is that it will be a few weeks before the engine brackets hit the shelf, but I have no way to confirm that they will be compatible with your SW headers since the Hooker brackets are designed around 4th-gen F-body engine mounts, I also just noticed your oil pan in your photos, which will not be compatible with the lower height geometry of the Hooker engine brackets...the Holley 302-2 pan is the only pan I'm aware of that will install with them. I really dig your car and wish there was Hooker components that I could guide you to that would solve some of the compatibility issues you are going to have to work through, but I'm at a loss to be able to do so.
Thanks for your insight. Maybe my AC hopes are just a dream until there is a top mount solution
Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for your insight. Maybe my AC hopes are just a dream until there is a top mount solution
No problem. The best information I can give you is that the Hooker forward position brackets would allow you to achieve all your A/C goals, but they would have to definately be used with the Holley 302-2 pan and most likely the Hooker headers. One final benefit to those brackets is that they will allow you to install your 4L80 without cutting your floor open. I really wish you good luck in this project.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Toddoky
No problem. The best information I can give you is that the Hooker forward position brackets would allow you to achieve all your A/C goals, but they would have to definately be used with the Holley 302-2 pan and most likely the Hooker headers. One final benefit to those brackets is that they will allow you to install your 4L80 without cutting your floor open. I really wish you good luck in this project.
Ugh. Now I wish I hadn't purchased all the thinks that I have. That'd be be out of my budget to rebuy everything. Always something!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya this compressor business is my next fear. I don't know what my other option would be. Def not gonna be notching anything with my frame or anything. I'd run w/out AC before that. Maybe holleys adapters plates will be out soon. Next is have to hope they would fit w my Stainless Works Headers.
Notch on mine is very small, pics are in the LSA swap thread on here (lots of people in your boat on AC).

The best bet is to try the Kwik bracket and sanden mini compressor, it tucks in as tight as anything could, and the compressor is much smaller than other options so it might fit. Otherwise you need a high mount compressor front end, which means a whole new FEAD, and the only good one in my opinion is the Concept one at 2700. So, that's not feasible. I say all of this from experience in the exact same position a couple months ago. Pics of it all in the other thread on LSA swaps on here.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RLJ676
Notch on mine is very small, pics are in the LSA swap thread on here (lots of people in your boat on AC).

The best bet is to try the Kwik bracket and sanden mini compressor, it tucks in as tight as anything could, and the compressor is much smaller than other options so it might fit. Otherwise you need a high mount compressor front end, which means a whole new FEAD, and the only good one in my opinion is the Concept one at 2700. So, that's not feasible. I say all of this from experience in the exact same position a couple months ago. Pics of it all in the other thread on LSA swaps on here.
I could try that Sanden and Kwik bracket since it's a guarantee no fit w the GM kit. That concept One FEAD is awesome but way too rich for my blood!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

I could try that Sanden and Kwik bracket since it's a guarantee no fit w the GM kit. That concept One FEAD is awesome but way too rich for my blood!
I know these feels lol!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Basically here is where you are going to end up.........Low mount A/C SD-7 Compressor set-up..........I have a turnbuckle on mine for Belt Tensioning, but I believe Kwik has a tensioner pulley........You are going to love that LSA power when finished...........Ask me how I know......LOL.......Heres a link to my LSA Chevelle install.........(Before the 302-2 pan was available)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html

Name:  null_zpsc7c1f656.jpg
Views: 3687
Size:  1.57 MB

Ken
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

What valve covers are those? I have some Holley covers that mount the coils directly to the valve cover but they are at a angle.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Any thoughts on this setup?

http://www.lsxconcepts.com/product/l.../#.Vkz_BfmrSUl
Old 11-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

I don't like it due to lack of belt wrap, way less than factory on the supercharger.

Cost wise I don't know that it's that far ahead of a CTS-V modified FEAD + Kwik bracket since you don't have any parts already. If modifying an existing front end the LSX setup is probably much cheaper than changing everything.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like it due to lack of belt wrap, way less than factory on the supercharger.
Way less does not define the difference between the upper pulleys, the actual difference between belt contact is about 5%

We have not seen a difference between the two drives for street use. Of the available drives in the marketplace requiring the relocation of the accessories to the upper location ours has the greatest belt contact.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSXConcepts
Way less does not define the difference between the upper pulleys, the actual difference between belt contact is about 5%

We have not seen a difference between the two drives for street use. Of the available drives in the marketplace requiring the relocation of the accessories to the upper location ours has the greatest belt contact.
But it is 6 rib right based on it fitting w/ truck spacing?

For my comfort level and as much as I spent doing my swap, spending a bit more to have an 8 rib supercharger belt that wraps more seems worth it. GM has gone through validation testing far beyond the aftermarket so it tells me that the amount of wrap present and 8 ribs are what it takes for this supercharger (admittedly it could be over-engineered, but GM does not spend any extra money it doesn't need to either). If we up the boost I think it even more critical.

However, if re-using most front end parts and for street driving, stock pulleys, etc I'd assume that your solution as you said would not have any issues and certainly is more cost effective, if not the only solution if you have to high mount the AC and don't want a all new expensive FEAD.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Teching In

But it is 6 rib right based on it fitting w/ truck spacing?
Our kit uses an 8 rib belt, which has 25% more belt contact over the same surface area of a 6 rib belt. Our kit is designed to use the original factory Corvette spacing used on the LSA/ZL1 engines

For my comfort level and as much as I spent doing my swap, spending a bit more to have an 8 rib supercharger belt that wraps more seems worth it. GM has gone through validation testing far beyond the aftermarket so it tells me that the amount of wrap present and 8 ribs are what it takes for this supercharger (admittedly it could be over-engineered, but GM does not spend any extra money it doesn't need to either). If we up the boost I think it even more critical.
The GM parts are a wonderful choice if they would fit classic muscle cars without modifying the frame. Our kit is the only 8 rib belt design to accommodate classic muscle cars with high mount accessories not requiring modification of the frames

However, if re-using most front end parts and for street driving, stock pulleys, etc I'd assume that your solution as you said would not have any issues and certainly is more cost effective, if not the only solution if you have to high mount the AC and don't want a all new expensive FEAD.
True
Old 11-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSXConcepts
Our kit uses an 8 rib belt, which has 25% more belt contact over the same surface area of a 6 rib belt. Our kit is designed to use the original factory Corvette spacing used on the LSA/ZL1 engines

The GM parts are a wonderful choice if they would fit classic muscle cars without modifying the frame. Our kit is the only 8 rib belt design to accommodate classic muscle cars with high mount accessories not requiring modification of the frames

True

Very cool, I thought you were another 6 belt solution. The GM "Modified" LSA FEAD does fit without frame mod (I have it), it high mounts the alternator like a Vette. However to get AC I had to make a small notch to fit a Sanden mini compressor in a low mount.

Only tradeoff is for guys adding it to VVT motors or using truck/Camaro water pumps/FEAD that it wouldn't fit, I assume they'll have to go 6 belt anyways, but otherwise I agree probably the only option for keeping high mount AC (that isn't a real expensive "billet" option).

Do you have a list of cars it's gone in so far and cleared all the upper LCA mount so far? It's a tight fit on my 72 Camaro for the alternator on the drivers side, I could have seen running into clearance issues w/ a high AC on the other side. Any of you guys that make alternatives that would list known "fit combos" sure would help us out haha, otherwise every new combo is a test subject (I know... that's hot rodding lol).
Old 11-20-2015, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

I have the modified LSA drive, if I wanna run you top mount AC solution, what would I need I buy? Or am I better off returning my kit and buying it complete from you? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Teching In

I have the modified LSA drive, if I wanna run you top mount AC solution, what would I need I buy? Or am I better off returning my kit and buying it complete from you? Thanks!
You can buy our complete kit, or use the factory alternator and power steering bracket along with our a/c bracket and LSA kit. if you have any questions feel free to give us a call
Old 11-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Do you have a list of cars it's gone in so far and cleared all the upper LCA mount so far? It's a tight fit on my 72 Camaro for the alternator on the drivers side, I could have seen running into clearance issues w/ a high AC on the other side. Any of you guys that make alternatives that would list known "fit combos" sure would help us out haha, otherwise every new combo is a test subject (I know... that's hot rodding lol).
I would love to have a list like that, why don't you put one in your car and we will add it to the list

What I can tell you we have never had an issue with clearing the upper LCA on any vehicle and there should be no clearance issue in a 72 Camaro...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Any problem w running higher than factory boost levels? I'm going to use a factory lower and 2.4 upper pulley.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Any problem w running higher than factory boost levels? I'm going to use a factory lower and 2.4 upper pulley.
We have engineered the kit to work with the stock lower and the ATI 5% and 10% over drive lower pulleys, we have not tested it with a smaller upper.
We prefer the larger lower overdrive pulley because the smaller upper pulleys are prone to slippage because of the smaller belt contact area and I do not know if there is a belt to fit that particular combination

Quick Reply: 1972 Chevelle LSA/4L80E Swap!