Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sema 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Sema 2015

After cruising thru the GM display today and looking at the engine options for the next project..........I was blown away with the Technology that is built into the LT1 and Supercharged LT4 engines........so....I was thinking about getting one of them.........Then I realized that there is nothing from the LS engine family that is interchangeable with the new ones......The big problem as I see it right now is not having any options as far as the Oil pan situation in swapping these engines into older cars..........I think I'll take a pass until the aftermarket catches up with these new technological works of Art !!!!

Ken
Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

That's what cutting tools and TIG welders are for......

Or you do what we did a long time ago when the LS first came out, modify the car to fit the engine. Do it Ken, do it!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even the dry sump pans would be an issue........Anybody here do one of these swaps yet ????
Old 11-06-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

The new Silverados have regular oil pans without the dry sump and I'm pretty sure they will interchange. I have seen people post that they have bought the new engines but as of yet havent seen one finished. GM on the other hand just built a blue 70ish camaro with one so it is doable.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to do a 57 Nomad as soon as I finish the Impala Supercharger install.......I just might bite the Bullet on the LT 4.........Maybe....

Name:  EFEA9F6E-713A-4D53-AFFB-C1635067F106.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  2.63 MB
Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ken when I saw a picture of the Nomad on the lift in your garage I hoped you would do a project with it. I love Nomads! I'll definitely watch for this one.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a forum for the new LT1 & LT4 Engines anywhere????
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Is there a forum for the new LT1 & LT4 Engines anywhere????
There is a Gen V engine section on this forum, but not much info. I suspect the conversion forum here will start filling up with information.

Hopefully companies like Holley will start to move forward and develop new swap products for these engines.

Is the bellhousing the same? The pans are different? What about engine mounts?

Andrew
Old 11-07-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
There is a Gen V engine section on this forum, but not much info. I suspect the conversion forum here will start filling up with information.

Hopefully companies like Holley will start to move forward and develop new swap products for these engines.

Andrew

You are right....Not much info there.........

Ken
Old 11-08-2015, 05:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

Andrew
From what I have seen the bell looks like the standard Chevy bolt pattern. Everything else appears to be different though. The one issue I see for the swap crowd is the truck accessories. The lower rad hose will not be fun. I do like the coil covers though.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The oil pan is also going to be non-compatible with most muscle car swap applications and off-the-shelf engine mounts and headers are going to be close to non-existent.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

http://autoweek.com/article/sema-sho...70-camaro-sema

In the beginning there were no "kits" to build hot rods, you had to fab up the parts to make it work. I think people have become to dependant on the aftermarket to do things now days. It Can be done if one is willing to put in the effort. Will there be issues? Sure, but you figure out a way to get around them and move on. Where would this country be if the original pioneers set back and said " I wonder what is out there? Better just sit here and wait for someone else to discover it and make a highway so when we go out there it will be easy" LOL!

If GM got the engine in that camaro, then a whole lot of other muscle cars shouldnt be that much harder anyway.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
http://autoweek.com/article/sema-sho...70-camaro-sema

In the beginning there were no "kits" to build hot rods, you had to fab up the parts to make it work. I think people have become to dependant on the aftermarket to do things now days. It Can be done if one is willing to put in the effort. Will there be issues? Sure, but you figure out a way to get around them and move on. Where would this country be if the original pioneers set back and said " I wonder what is out there? Better just sit here and wait for someone else to discover it and make a highway so when we go out there it will be easy" LOL!

If GM got the engine in that camaro, then a whole lot of other muscle cars shouldnt be that much harder anyway.
You are correct, for those that possess the required free time, funds, ingenuity and fabrication skills to make it happen, the lack of aftermarket parts support will not be an obstical to them carrying out a swap with this engine. However, there are just as many if not more enthusiasts who engage in the hobby at the bolt-on level as their lack of the above mentioned assets calls for the assistance of the aftermarket industry to provide the parts to make it happen for them. Either way, new markets grow because of the existence of enthusiasts in both camps and this will be no different from when the LS came out.

Last edited by Toddoky; 11-08-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You are correct, for those that possess the required free time, funds, ingenuity and fabrication skills to make it happen, the lack of aftermarket parts support will not be an obstical to them carrying out a swap with this engine. However, there are just as many if not more enthusiasts who engage in the hobby at the bolt-on level as their lack of the above mentioned assets calls for the assistance of the aftermarket industry to provide the parts to make it happen for them. Either way, new markets grow because of the existence of enthusiasts in both camps and this will be no different from when the LS came out.

I could do it without too much effort.........But......As you get older time becomes more important than re-inventing the wheel.........

Ken
Old 11-08-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I could do it without too much effort.........But......As you get older time becomes more important than re-inventing the wheel.........

Ken
Exactly. At the age I'm at now I'm hard pressed to figure out how to allocate my disposable income and time between my family and the various hobbies I have. I know some guys practically live in their garages and have almost no interest in things beyond cars and those are the guys that will be the first to tackle this swap on their own.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does that motor come with an electric power steering pump? I can't quite figure out the lower right pulley deal in the picture.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly. At the age I'm at now I'm hard pressed to figure out how to allocate my disposable income and time between my family and the various hobbies I have. I know some guys practically live in their garages and have almost no interest in things beyond cars and those are the guys that will be the first to tackle this swap on their own.

Todd..................I was at Holley for the Goodguys Hall of Fame Road tour......Too bad we didn't get to meet..............

Ken
Old 11-08-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd..................I was at Holley for the Goodguys Hall of Fame Road tour......Too bad we didn't get to meet..............

Ken
I was notified by our Marketing head during one of those days that someone in one of the tour groups inquired about my by my screen name and I told him I'd be more than happy to engage in a personal face-to-face introduction with whoever that happened to be. I'm assuming that was you Ken and I'm sorry that didn't take place...I wish they would have made more of an effort towards making it happen. Maybe next time I guess.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was notified by our Marketing head during one of those days that someone in one of the tour groups inquired about my by my screen name and I told him I'd be more than happy to engage in a personal face-to-face introduction with whoever that happened to be. I'm assuming that was you Ken and I'm sorry that didn't take place...I wish they would have made more of an effort towards making it happen. Maybe next time I guess.

Yep.........That be me........I was telling the management how much the people here appreciate your efforts and input on this site !!!

Ken
Old 11-08-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Does that motor come with an electric power steering pump? I can't quite figure out the lower right pulley deal in the picture.

I think that is the High Pressure pump for the Direct Port Injection......

Ken

Quick Reply: Sema 2015