Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Firebird Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Firebird Build

So i'm planing on building my 1979 Firebird with the original 3.8l V6 with what I think is a Th350 transmission, and I have some concerns about doing so. After some research I have found that it is the same block as the 1987 Buick Grand National, and was wondering if I could take the fuel injection system out of a grand national along with the turbocharger and get around 300hp out of my 1979 v6. If this is even possible I would like some input on what cam/lifters would work best to make the 300hp number happen, what parts I should get off a 1987 Grand National and what parts I should upgrade.

I basically need to know if it would work and if so what parts are needed. Such as ECU, Intake, sensors....
Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Teching In

At first I thought you wanted the v6 to keep it original now I'm wondering why not put a ls motor and trans if your willing swap to fuel injection and find hard to get Grand National parts. It would kind of be cool to do a turbo v6 but I bet it would be cheaper to do a turbo 4.8 ls truck engine and make lots more power. Both ways are very invalved Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ext2271
At first I thought you wanted the v6 to keep it original now I'm wondering why not put a ls motor and trans if your willing swap to fuel injection and find hard to get Grand National parts. It would kind of be cool to do a turbo v6 but I bet it would be cheaper to do a turbo 4.8 ls truck engine and make lots more power. Both ways are very invalved Just my 2 cents.
Yes I do agree it would be easier and probably more cost effective, and after more research is probably the better bet. I read that Grand Nationals had problems handling the 250hp they had from the factory. And the car is my daily driver with 50k original miles, so I'm looking for something that will be reliable that can run aside a 4th gen.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

A LS engine swap will make for a more reliable vehicle. And eaiser to do than a turbo anything.

You'll need a LS swap kit that'll include motor mounts and headers.

You'll also need a stand alone fuel injection system. Getting a wiring harness from a junker is messy, the aftermarket kits are much neater and not greasy and bent up in ways you won't want.

A junkyard pull could get you a decent engine & transmission for a good price. Some work on the engine will ensure it'll serve you well, have the heads cleaned up, new timing chain & oil pump, maybe a nice camshaft....

I would look for an aluminum block. Those 2nd gen F-body cars have a massive & heavy front chassis. An aluminum block is 100# less than iron and will more closely match the V6 suspension your car already has.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
A LS engine swap will make for a more reliable vehicle. And eaiser to do than a turbo anything.

You'll need a LS swap kit that'll include motor mounts and headers.

You'll also need a stand alone fuel injection system. Getting a wiring harness from a junker is messy, the aftermarket kits are much neater and not greasy and bent up in ways you won't want.

A junkyard pull could get you a decent engine & transmission for a good price. Some work on the engine will ensure it'll serve you well, have the heads cleaned up, new timing chain & oil pump, maybe a nice camshaft....

I would look for an aluminum block. Those 2nd gen F-body cars have a massive & heavy front chassis. An aluminum block is 100# less than iron and will more closely match the V6 suspension your car already has.
Thanks for the reply paul, I never tought of putting in a aluminum block and keeping the factory suspension. I'm trying to locate the motor mounts and can't seem to find them anywhere. Also what year ls1 would be the best to try and locate?

Thanks
Austin

Last edited by 1979 FireChicken; 11-16-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

http://lsswapkits.com/

I would suggest trying to find an early 6.0 LS2 engine, it'll be 24x.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

And you'll get better answers here in the conversion section from folks that already did stuff like this.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
And you'll get better answers here in the conversion section from folks that already did stuff like this.
Thanks for the help, time to start chaseing down parts.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can tell you not to use the Gm Muscle car pan or the adapter plates from block to sbc steel mount. The holes wont line up to drop on sbc location. With plates it spreads the holes further apart requiring moving mounts a bit higher on frame. Then hood clearance becomes issue using truck bracketry. I had the problems with my 76 skylark, basically same front frame.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Launching!

pics?

here's my 76 TA ls1/t56 swap
http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=69158.0
Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ledesordre
Here is the Firebird the day I got it. I will need to upload pictures of how it looks now.

Looks like your project was a bit more involved than I hope mine will be. I purchased my car off the second owner that only owned it for 2 years, and for the 2 years he did own it he brought it to oil change shops for repairs that they had no business attempting. The stack of receipts he gave me with the car included a $600 brake job, A $1000 transmission reseal, and other misc ripoffs that weren't needed or done. When I got the car it leaked all its transmission fluid out on the way home, and had a lot of air in the brake lines (oil change guys didn't bleed them). So after spending several thousand on repairs that weren't needed or done properly he finally had enough and sold it to me. The car dose have 70,000 miles that I believe to be original, due to the fact that the numbers line up on the odometer and the car's interior is almost mint. And just by the way it handles for a 37 year old car. There is no rust anywhere on the car (what sold me on it). So far I have painted it pearl white and put a screaming chicken on the hood. Now the plan is to do a Ls1 swap I like your setup I considered buying a 4th gen and robbing the engine/transmission.

Last edited by 1979 FireChicken; 11-18-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 1979 Firebird Build