Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 LS swap

I have research and came empty. Here is the plan, I have access to a LS 4.8 out of a nice running totaled pick up truck. The Rover engine is a 4.6 (280 CI) the LS is 4.8 (293 CI), now, what if I use all the components from the Rover like fuel injectors, engine temp sensor, knock sensor, throtle body. Basically using all the attachements of the Discovery and installing into the LS 4.8 engine. The displacement is not that much and I believe the ECU can compensate for the additional 13CI that the LS will bring into the equation. I know that I will need to find a solution for the CPS since the ECU is tied into it, perhaps running a triggered crank front mounted CPS will be enough to make the Rover ECU and BCU happy. Speedometer, ABS are operated by the wheels sensors.
I am asking here if you guys think it could be done. I understand about fabricating motor mounts, using a lower intake out of a Camaro, use exhaust headers huggers or manifolds from a LS Camaro and perhaps altering the oil pan. I am a welder/fabricator by trade and have access to some nice equipment to fab what needs to be done, however, I don't want to get into reprograming ECU and such. From I know the ECU is blind and as long as all the sensors are signaling correctly the engine will perform as it was designed, by the way, the LS 4.8 and the Rover 4.6 share the same firing order and exterior dimensions are similar.
I know for a fact that the Discovery are a electronic nightmares, hence I would rather "fool" the computer and don't start hacking into the harness too much. Extensions for the injectors, MAF and such is not a big deal if done correctly and a harness for these application is not that difficult to fabricate.
I really want to get rid off the Land Rover 4.6 for obvious reason. These engine are a 1960's obsolete Buick designed and a truly hunk of ****, the truck itself is build nice but the engines are crap, since new.
Please not flaming, I am just asking if you guys think is a doable project. I have done LS conversions and I know more or less what is involve (LS1 into a Datsun 280Z and a LS1 into a 65 Chevy Nova) but those where full conversions with stand alone GM harness and ECU's. Transmission to LS adapters are available and the ZF4 in the Rover right now is capable to handle safely up to 300 HP which is about what the 4.8 LS will make. Take into consideration that these is not a race car, truck mostly will be used for light wheeling and as weekend warrior.
Your help, opinions, inputs, comments, experience, a friend of a friend could not do it and such are highly appreciated....
Old 11-30-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

If you think you can get an LS motor to run off a Land Rover's computer and not want to remap the ECU.... pass whatever you are smoking over here

You should also think about differences in camshaft profile, compression, intake manifold and exhaust design.... to name a few. You can pick up an LS truck computer for under $100.... and then the harness for probably $100. Save yourself a serious headache and waste of hours and get what came on the motor. Strip that truck clean it came from.

There's a great saying.. if you want to go 4x4ing take a LR/RR. If you want to come back take a Land Cruiser

A '93-97 crazy high mileage Toyota Land Cruiser will be 10x more reliable than the vehicle you are trying to build.... with much beefier axles/trans/engine (some have factory front/rear lockers).
Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gnx7
If you think you can get an LS motor to run off a Land Rover's computer and not want to remap the ECU.... pass whatever you are smoking over here
Basically this

You should also think about differences in camshaft profile, compression, intake manifold and exhaust design.... to name a few. You can pick up an LS truck computer for under $100.... and then the harness for probably $100. Save yourself a serious headache and waste of hours and get what came on the motor. Strip that truck clean it came from.
But also this
Old 12-01-2015, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Using the Rover ECU to control the LS would be a nightmare. I would run the LS on a standalone harness and GM ECU. Keep the rover ECU happy and feeding the gauges, by running a Rover oil pressure sensor, water temp sensor, charge system. The tach is a simple deal, run a Dakota Digital converter and your up and running.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:40 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Anything is possible, but you're not going to run an engine well using a completely different engine fuel and spark curve on the engine you're putting in. There is a lot more to engine management than exterior size & displacement.

If you don't want to tune, the 4.8 tune is the one to go with.

Further, there's such a huge amount of support for the LS parts, it is the more desirable PCM / engine to use. And in the end, it's less work, more documented, and the easier way to go, versus trying to adapt reluctor wheels from the LR engine to the LS engine.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Teching In

My mistake for failing to explain correctly, I don't want to run the 4.8 LS with the Rover computer, I was asking about connecting everything Rover to the LS and running a stand alone computer to manage the LS. Harness with 3 wires hook up to run the LS I have used in the past and it worked great. My idea was to piggy back into the necessary sensors to make the Land Rover computer "acceptable" and run the basics like the a/c, transmission, ABS and such. I know is not going to be perfect without some warning lights in the dashboard but at least it will operate better than the crappy original LR engine.
If I have to there's a transmission stand alone controller that I can use. Cost?...I understand is not cheap but considering that a remanufactured rotating assembly for LR is somewhere around $5,000 and you will be living in barrow time before it takes a dump again (time chain, oil pump, head gasket, water pump) all flawed components that WILL fail quick. After looking the availability and cost of replacement parts for a LS the cost of the original investment doesn't look that much.
Keep the ideas coming, all help is appreciated....
Old 01-11-2016, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Lighting,

Read Leftlanetruckin's thread about his LS swap into a Range Rover ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nge-rover.html ). Also read the HPbooks "Performance Fuel Injection Systems" for information on how to design a hybrid piggyback/standalone system to work with Land Rover engine management systems and and integrated body modules.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Teching In

If anyone is still interested in having a Discovery 2 re-powered with the 4.8 or 5.3, feel free to PM me about the swap. I have been driving my 4.8 swapped 2000 D2 for about a month now with very positive results.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Trailhead,

We're all interested, else we wouldn't be here. ;^) Why don't you post a thread on how you went about it? Easier than answering a bunch of different PM's and better for the community.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Inquiring about an ls swap into a range rover l322 2003

Originally Posted by Trailhead4x4
If anyone is still interested in having a Discovery 2 re-powered with the 4.8 or 5.3, feel free to PM me about the swap. I have been driving my 4.8 swapped 2000 D2 for about a month now with very positive results.
i really would love to get some help and info on swapping a 5.3 lm7 into my 4.4l v8 2003 range rover hse. I recently swapped a bmw x5 motor which is basically the same as my original engine because my original got burnt. I'm looking for more power and reliability also with the lm7 swap i feel like it would be feasible to keep my ac and lighting. Correct? Look forward to your reply! Many thanks.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:30 PM

Hey im new to the forum and have a 99 disco 2 along with other goodies but I really wanna do this swap my ss fbody with no tubing and 323 gears I get almost 28 mpg with my gears and the 6spd I guess let’s get past the talk but how hard is it to actually swap ?? I work at a huge junkyard and we have more ls motors than we know what todo with thanks in advanced
Originally Posted by Trailhead4x4