Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"

Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super clean build! I like how all your turbo stuff is tucked down low. I just may have to copy your intercooler setup when I decide to go turbo with mine in the distant future..
Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol MM, nap time is prime time as well as between the hours of 9:30p-3am ðŸ‘
Old 07-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Turbo Addict

Thanks Mungface! Copy away as that's I all I did, the hotside is based off of George's work at Turbotechnology Inc and I saw the intercooler idea during my many hours of google searching.
The car is a turd paint/trim wise but I still couldn't make myself hack the front bumper up...I just don't like the way it looks.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Turbo Addict

Well for all of my 1.5 followers, here's an update.
Tore the meniscus in my left knee...again...and had to have surgery...again in August.
I remember why I swapped to a TH400 in my camaro, so I did it again in my stang. Sold the Ls2 and T56, bought a high mileage 5.3 with Gen 4 rods.

I bought a used TH400 and rebuilt it myself. Seemed quite overwhelming at first but after I got into it, easy peasy and thank God it actually works! Upgraded to a 34 element sprag and installed a Coan RMVB.

Had to redo my downpipe to gain a mere .5" of clearance...would have been so easy the first time when I put the T56 in, but I wasn't thinking I would ever switch lol.

Shiny new 3.5" driveshaft I had made locally.

Managed to get my favorite shifter under the factory shift boot.

Mounted a B&M transcooler, seems to work great.

Ignore the messy engine bay and non-matching plug wires, I'm on a budget with respect to time and money lol.

Lastly, my other vice in life is long range shooting (600-1,000yd FTR - 308win) and I needed an adapter to put trans fluid down my Lokar dipstick...as it turns out, a scrap piece of 308 brass fits perfectly. The primer pocket was loose, but I still cringed when I cut the casehead off of it (Lapua) lol.

Replaced the window track trim as the old stuff was completely hardened and falling apart. This is supposed ot come out in one piece.
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_6427.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7297.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7401.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7675.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7417.jpg  

Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7446.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7678.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7421.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7422.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7665.jpg  

Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Turbo Addict

Some "finished" engine bay pics minus a turbo blanket I need to put back on.

Oh and I did put a set of 1218 springs in it and "while I was in there" threw in a $240 ebay 216/220 cam. FWIW, I could not get the dowel method to work with this engine, had to revert to pen magnets.
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7673.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7676.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7677.jpg  
Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

im glad the trans works, but you really should have at least hit it with a hose :/

also i would watch who you share the funnel mod to; the number of bullets it can hold will raise an eyebrow these days. at least it is safe space yellow vs. assault black
Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Turbo Addict

Haha, sorry I should have clarified, that was the trans when I picked it up from the junkyard, it was pretty clean when I put it in...I even power washed the case since it was all apart.
Let me see if I can find the work in progress pics.

Sad but true on the funnel, good thing is my garage is an assault funnel free zone so I'm completely safe ?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice build and fab work. I was wondering about the stick part at the beginning, glad you saw the light and switched to an auto. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Turbo Addict

Thanks for the kind words 408. Yea I’m not sure why I didn’t learn my lesson the first go round....I guess I’m just more hardheaded (or ignorant) than I previously thought.

so it looks like I definitely need another converter. This 3400 stall is flashing to 5500 now. Based off of my searching, it seems a 9.5” PTC, Yank or Circle D is who I should pick from. They all seem to be out 3-4wks. Problem is I need the converter tonight so it can sit on my work bench for 4wks until I get more free time to install...haha

Any March 2018 recommendations on brand?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

What application are the 90deg plug wires for (the red ones on the two forward cylinders in your last pic)? I'm used to the style that comes straight off the plug, but those 90deg ones could come in handy.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Turbo Addict

AAIIIC, I am not sure where those wires were originally spec'd for but I got them with the original Ls2, which came from a '05 SSR.

Oddly enough, they have twice the resistance (800ohm vs 400) of the other wires on the car but I don't have enough of them to make a complete set..hence the mix of wires.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
AAIIIC, I am not sure where those wires were originally spec'd for but I got them with the original Ls2, which came from a '05 SSR.

Oddly enough, they have twice the resistance (800ohm vs 400) of the other wires on the car but I don't have enough of them to make a complete set..hence the mix of wires.
Motor doesn't know any different
Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Turbo Addict

Lol...now don't you try to use logic & reason to discount my rare and spontaneous OCD-ness haha.

So I have had excellent customer service from Circle D...and my research shows they make an excellent converter....thinking of making the wallet leap. Speak now or forever hold your peace!?!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,212 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
What application are the 90deg plug wires for (the red ones on the two forward cylinders in your last pic)? I'm used to the style that comes straight off the plug, but those 90deg ones could come in handy.
Stock GM truck wires in 2007. Have one in the shop now. AC delco 9748rr...probably fits other models too.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for the info on the plug wires, guys.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Turbo Addict

Agreed, thank you for the info on the plug wires.

So I am putting 3.08's back in the car, and these are used gears, and I have only ever patterned new gears. Not sure if that's why I am getting weird patterns. It sort of looks like backlash is acceptable but I need a little more pinion shim due to them both running up the face a little? Any thoughts? This is a 8.8, factory gears so I assume they are face milled.
Pinion shim is .030", backlash is .010"

I might try to get a little more resistance and run a fresh pattern before I knock it back apart.
Attached Thumbnails Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7750.jpg   Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"-img_7752.jpg  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was taught on a used gear set to set it up with the pattern slightly deep like you have because the pinion wants to naturally separate from the ring gear, which is generally more evident in used gear sets.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 PM
Turbo Addict

Thanks for the response. Never thought about that being more prevalent on a used set.
I just put it back together with real parts, gonna run it like it is so we will see.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
So I've been a mustang guy for about 20yrs now and although I am pretty much the last one to show up at the Ls-Fox party, I can honestly say I've been wanting to put an Ls in a mustang since about '00. Fox body's aren't for everyone, but they just seem to fit me and my butt pretty well...plus I may be going through an almost-mid-life-crisis.

Things started to fall in place when I scored a test engine from my old job...it was ridden a little hard but the oil was changed ridiculously frequently (as to not alter test results) and it had an easy life all things considered. By the time I sold some of the unneeded parts off the engine, cost to me was a few hundred bucks all said and done. Low hours box stock Ls2.

Shortly after this, I bought a 2 owner '89 5.0 LX 5spd from a guy right down the street. After a little bit of elbow grease, it was a running/driving fox. Needed paint (still does) but otherwise a solid car and very straight with a clean interior.
A buddy of mine hooked me up with cobra knock-offs, lowering springs, 5-lug axles/rotors and cobra brakes up front. I also rebuilt the rear while putting in some "give-a-way" new FMS 3.73's.

The mustang guy in me had a tough time pulling a good running 5.0 car apart, but we all know stock 302 blocks like to split when the power just starts getting fun, so I sold everything and recouped a good chunk of my cash....anything for the sake of the mighty Lsx!!
Easy as 1...

The above has "only" taken me a year to complete, (kids, wife, changing jobs, lost interest, waiting for the planets to align, yada, yada, yada), and I owe many thanks to my BFF for housing this thing, a bunch of parts and letting me use his garage & tools for so long. I am moving into a new house the first of the year with a 2 car garage, so progress should improve once we get settled in. It will be much easier for me to slip into my mancave when it's right down the hall.

As for the actual build, my "plan" has been everything under the moon and back, at different times depending on the day...from stock Ls2, to huge cam'd all motor, to nitrous, to S/C, etc. You name it, I was definitely doing it for at least a day or two.

The overwhelming winner is sort of a blast from my past. The most fun street car I've ever owned was an '87 GT 5-spd with an Incon TT kit on a basically stock 302. It wasn't a serious street car by any means, but had gobs of torque with almost zero lag and was just a lot of fun to drive.

So I plan to tuck two smallish turbos next to this Ls2, aiming for 550-600rwhp max and a metric ton of TQ with a T56 behind it all. I plan to copy the intercooler set-up from Incon as well. I am not sure why their configuration isn't used much but it worked great and didn't block the radiator. The intercooler was horizontal between the bottom of the radiator and the front of the K-member. The air damn was then relocated to the intercooler (k-member side) to help direct air up through it.
FWIW, when my Camaro had the stock TTi single kit on it, I moved their intercooler from in front of the radiator to this horizontal location and reduced my IAT's substantially.

Anywho, here is a pic of the Incon kit on a 302 fox. Shoehorning turbos in there and then making tubular headers is going to be uber fun, I just know it! I am hoping between the taller Ls deck and being able to lower the turbo centerlines a touch, I won't have to be as aggressive with the primaries as Incon did. Changing plugs on my old fox was a complete SOB. It was also hell on plug wires unless you did things just right.

I have been searching for the specs of the Incon turbos for awhile now and although some of the sizing info is conflicting, I believe I have enough to get something in there that will work, preferably with internal wastegates.

A fellow member on here had recommended BW S256's w/.76 A/R exhaust housings as he has made very good power on an Ls2 with these. They are physically larger in size which won't help and will require an external WG...but in the end, a better turbo then the ones I have been looking at on Ebay and half the price of the Garrett units I really need.

There has been some other work on the car but nothing worth posting. I will say making a standalone harness wasn't anywhere near as frightening as I once thought...thank you Lt1swap.com.

Thanks for reading my novel, hope to have more action pics and less blah-blah-blah in a couple of months.

-Jrod

was is possible to swap the Ls into the 5.0 k member?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,212 Likes on 778 Posts

You can see right in the pictures that he used a tubular k member. So that answers your question.

I have swapped a 5.3 into a fox using a stock 96 4.6L K member and stock 4.6L motor mounts. Two of the bolts line up for the 4.6 mount, the 3rd bolt you can make an adapter plate for so you can just bolt it up to the motor easy peasey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project "Yay another Ls Fox...but with a sprinkle of Incon"