Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on setting up a previously TH350 car for running a T56?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on setting up a previously TH350 car for running a T56?

So I am swapping a 350/350 out of a 1973 Monte Carlo and have acquired a 5.3 that I am changing over to LS6 intake (purely for aesthetic reasons). I am going to run long tube headers and plan for a 228R cam from Texas Speed. I had originally planned to just put a stock 4L80E with a higher stall torque converter in the car because I hoped that I wouldn't have to battle issues of strength associated with a 4L60E or foot the bill to have one built stronger.

So the more I look at swaps and old cars the more curious I become about the possibilities of a manual transmission while I do the engine conversion, everything I've ever owned has been automatic. I am fully aware of how a standard transmission works and all of that but I am just curious as to how everyone is setting up their pedals for a similar swap. I've got the dash out of the car now and just want to evaluate all of my options before I buy a transmission. Any input from those well versed in the pros and cons of each direction would be very welcomed!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The pedals are very easy to convert to manual. I'm sure they sell conversion kits for your setup, but they would probably include the mechanical linkage as well. All you will need for a T-56 is to add the clutch pedal to your car and then modify it for use with a hydraulic clutch master cylinder.

The hardest part about going to a T-56 would be the fitment under your car. The Tunnel will more then likely need to be opened up just to get it to fit. I opened mine up about 3 inches down the middle and welded it back up.

Would I do it again? Hell Yes! Manual transmission cars are so much more fun to me.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Teching In

I'm not scared at all of doing tunnel mods, I had planned on it being needed with the 4L80 as well.

These second gen A-bodies are a bit difficult to find some parts for, if it was first gen I am sure the clutch pedal swap would be readily available. I've been looking at various Wilwood setups as an off the shelf aftermarket option.

The more I see and read the more I want a manual trans - even just from a parasitic loss standpoint with the automatics and putting more power on the road. Only downside (and also an upside) is that the wife wouldn't be able to drive the car.... aw shucks.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome! My wife drives mine sometimes. But then again she learned to drive a stick in my car some 25 years ago when it was a 4 speed. lol

Here's a kit for your setup. Seeing this I know you can just buy the plate like I did and modify a pedal for your car.

http://www.sickspeedmonte.com/Pedal.htm
Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Teching In

That looks to be for the later 4th gen G-body Monte's. Mine is the forgotten 2nd gen like this one (not my car, just similar). Under the body it is basically the same as Chevelle's, Riviera's, Grand Prix etc. Just not a lot available for these things specifically so I know I am going to have to find something to make it work, just curious who has the best options.

Name:  M003.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  90.1 KB
Old 12-11-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it is. Yours shouldn't be much different. I used a plate similar to this on mine. You just need to find the right mounting bracket.

Quick Reply: School me on setting up a previously TH350 car for running a T56?