Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standalone harness + body electronics - maybe Volvo specific?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Standalone harness + body electronics - maybe Volvo specific?

This may be Volvo specific or may be generic in older vehicles that don't have as much fancy wiring and options.

I have a 1989 Volvo 760 Turbo that will be receiving a LQ9. I have most everything planned out... mounts, fuel system, cooling, etc. The easy stuff.

Wiring has always been my downfall. To make it somewhat easier, I will be purchasing a custom standalone harness that comes with a fuse box and everything. So this takes cares of the motor/transmission side of things and as a standalone harness, the motor would start on it's own.

So, the stock Volvo engine harness and computer can be completely removed right?

What to do about the body side of things? How do I get power to that fuse box to run everything in the car? I did purchase a couple Haynes manuals, but one is American 1982-1988 and the other is UK 1982-1991. I don't really know what to look or search for on that.

The swap is a couple months away because I'm still collecting parts and want to have as much as I can get before I dig in. But I'd like to get a headstart on this info.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2015, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the 740/940, the engine harness is looped into the main body harness for the most part, but the body/interior stuff should continue to "just work" with it all pulled out. You'll probably need to cut most of the covering off, and it'll help to do most of it off the car.

At least on the 240, wiring's pretty straightforward - big wire goes to the ignition switch (later 240s use the same switch, even), that feeds the supply side of the main fusebox, stuff goes from there to relays and switches that work like you'd expect. It's in the center stack on the 740, and integrates a bunch of relays that are tucked and clipped in random places on the 240, but most of the wiring paths are the same.

http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/?...ing%20Diagrams and http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/?...ing%20Diagrams will get you greenbook wiring diagrams (much easier to work from, and very complete) for either an '89 740 or a '90 760 - don't know which is going to be closer to your exact car, but Volvo tends to keep pretty similar base wiring with add-on harnesses where things are different, within a generation.

Nice to see I'm not the only Volvo-frankensteining lunatic in town!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link. That helps make a lot better sense than the chicken scratches in the Haynes books.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the link, very usefull for my 960 wagon swap!

Quick Reply: Standalone harness + body electronics - maybe Volvo specific?