Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ls mounting in A body frame engine mounts vs perches

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ls mounting in A body frame engine mounts vs perches

I've got a 72 Buick skylark i'm planning on putting an ls1 into and somebody told me I need the stock frame stands from a chevelle to bolt onto my buick frame so that I can use the conversion motor mounts. I cannot find anything about this and was under the impression that the conversion mounts sold replace all the stock mounts on the frame. Can somebody clarify this for me. Every time I look all i've found are motor mounts. Seems nobody calls them the same thing
Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Typical swap plates work in conjunction with the stock Chevelle frame stands and old-school style Chevy motor mounts.

There are also proprietary design engine brackets available from select manufacturers that completely eliminate the frame stands from the mounting equation...an example of this would be the new Hooker 68-72 A-body swap brackets coming out that mount an LS engine in an A-body utilizing 4th-gen F-body motor mounts. Two advantages to using this type of mounting method is it allows a lower installed engine height to be achieved and permits a low-mount A/C compressor to be installed, which cannot be done using stock frame stands and swap plates.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Basically, Buick frame stands are different than Chevy in width. The only engine mounts I could find for my Buick frame stands were of oe design (cheap rubber) and made in Taiwan.

You'll want better for your swap I'm sure, so energy suspension mounts with adapter plates on the block mounted on Chevelle frame stands, or the kit listed above for its stated advantages.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Go with the new Holley system that should be available shortly. Your 72 frame will have holes drilled in the front crossmember for all the a-body variants. My GTO frame had Pontiac frame stands, but the holes for the Chevelle frame stands were already there.

The new Holley system uses custom frame stands and the LS engine will use the 4th gen f-body engine mounts (which are excellent).

Andrew
Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/97CH001/
Just purchase chevelle re-pops or head to the salvage yard.
Attached Thumbnails Question about ls mounting in A body frame engine mounts vs perches-mount.jpg  
Old 12-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Teching In

UMI performance makes a ls swap into 68 - 72 a body includes frame and adjustable engine mounts.

Quick Reply: Question about ls mounting in A body frame engine mounts vs perches