Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default General swap questions

For you guys doing motor swaps and having true "projects", how do you go about doing it? I'm asking because my wife and I are THINKING about finding a project car to do a swap and "turn into our own". Something to wrench on/learn together.

I am very mechanically inclined (with exception to building a motor/trans since I have not tackled that yet) and she knows enough about cars to be involved.

She/we come from Corvette family/friends from C2's to C5's. We thought it would be cool to find a C3 and work on it.

Goals of the car would be:
1)Build a weekend toy/autocross car
2)Decent body and OK with it remaining in primer black for all I care.
3)Interior will be minimal. Keep original dash/cluster if it works, race steering wheel, dual race seats, no AC (may retain heat option)
4)"full suspension"...coilover route
5)Adequate brakes

I see A LARGE range of cars going through conversions. I'd like some insight on do's/don'ts on approaching this. There would be no completion date set and will be 100% money driven. Build/work on it when funds become available.

We are currently autocrossing/DDing my 95 Camaro Z28 and it has been fun, but to build a C3 and have a true project has always been something I wanted to do. I'm just wondering if we are asking for a world of financial headache going with a C3 lol.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a LSx in a Range Rover, took a couple of years with wrenching on it as and when I had time.
Thinking your question is a little open ended though. Will obviously depend on what you start with etc.

Martin
Old 12-18-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't think a C3 would be any more expensive to swap than other cars from that era. They don't seem to be all that expensive. One of these days I'm going to run across the right deal and pick one up myself

C3 interior parts don't weather very well so going without would save some money.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

C3s are pretty straightforward. I used a Fbody LS1/T56 dropout and the only thing modified on the entire powertrain was the waterpump

Specific LS C3 parts are expensive, but they dont have to be. Use common 1" setback SBC adapter plates. If you can weld thin walled steel, then modify a set of SBC headers. DIY trans crossmember for sure, the aftermarket one I used had to be modified extensively. Shorten the DS, standard stuff. Simple stand alone harness of your choice. Inline fuel pump and AN6 lines tank to fuel rails. High mount AC is your only option. 98-02 Fbody radiators/fans fit nicely in the stock support
Old 12-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't a C4 be a better option due to easier engine access?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
I have a LSx in a Range Rover, took a couple of years with wrenching on it as and when I had time.
Thinking your question is a little open ended though. Will obviously depend on what you start with etc.

Martin
I agree this was open ended, and would take years to complete.

Originally Posted by squarles67
I wouldn't think a C3 would be any more expensive to swap than other cars from that era. They don't seem to be all that expensive. One of these days I'm going to run across the right deal and pick one up myself

C3 interior parts don't weather very well so going without would save some money.
I'm more concerned with structural integrity of the body/frame than I am interior parts, so yes not needing an interior will save money.

Originally Posted by Pocket
C3s are pretty straightforward. I used a Fbody LS1/T56 dropout and the only thing modified on the entire powertrain was the waterpump

Specific LS C3 parts are expensive, but they dont have to be. Use common 1" setback SBC adapter plates. If you can weld thin walled steel, then modify a set of SBC headers. DIY trans crossmember for sure, the aftermarket one I used had to be modified extensively. Shorten the DS, standard stuff. Simple stand alone harness of your choice. Inline fuel pump and AN6 lines tank to fuel rails. High mount AC is your only option. 98-02 Fbody radiators/fans fit nicely in the stock support
That's good news. To keep cost even lower, I was contemplating a LT1/T56 setup. I can find LT1's for $300 where everyone wants $1000+ for LS engines. Setting it up as a stand alone and rewire the bare minimum for the car to operate.

Your description makes it seem very promising and easy to do. Nothing outside my mechanical capability or home garage space/tool availability.

Originally Posted by upflying
Wouldn't a C4 be a better option due to easier engine access?
If I'm looking at easy, I would buy a LS camaro LOL. But honestly I can't stand C4 interior and lets be honest, a C3 with a road race/autocross setup is A LOT more badass than a C4... You don't see many C3's running around and even less that have been "built to race".
Old 12-18-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Basically any swap you do will be an improvement. LT1's will be even easier because the SBC mounts and exhaust will already be set

FWIW, C4s are more race-worthy than C3's. Sure, they're boring to look at but there wasnt anything of the era that could out corner them short of a purpose built race car. C3's are excessively heavy and have floppy frames, a very dated (at the time) suspension and poor build quality

Also, the C3 was easier to drop the engine into than a C4. Both have a ton of access, just the C3 has a mostly empty engine bay. That goes for any older vehicle
Old 12-18-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Head on over to corvetteforum.com,your head will spin with all the info over there.I like your idea,find a neglected but not rusty C3 and turn it into a bare bones LS/T56 (don't waste your time with the LT1) street/autocross car.Since you are not concerned with paint/body and correct interior that would cost a ton of cash,you should be able to scrounge up a pile of used race car parts and put something together for a reasonable price.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

This would be a fun project. I actually picked up a 1974 L-82 C3 to flip last year for $2500 so they can be found cheap. I ended up restoring it and selling it, but I was very tempted to do the LS swap in it. Also, you can find the 5.3 truck motors dirt cheap, but it's not always the route to go. In the long run they can dollar you to death after swapping intake, pan and accessories to fit.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pocket
Basically any swap you do will be an improvement. LT1's will be even easier because the SBC mounts and exhaust will already be set

FWIW, C4s are more race-worthy than C3's. Sure, they're boring to look at but there wasnt anything of the era that could out corner them short of a purpose built race car. C3's are excessively heavy and have floppy frames, a very dated (at the time) suspension and poor build quality

Also, the C3 was easier to drop the engine into than a C4. Both have a ton of access, just the C3 has a mostly empty engine bay. That goes for any older vehicle
That's good to know about the LT1 and motor mount alignment.

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Head on over to corvetteforum.com,your head will spin with all the info over there.I like your idea,find a neglected but not rusty C3 and turn it into a bare bones LS/T56 (don't waste your time with the LT1) street/autocross car.Since you are not concerned with paint/body and correct interior that would cost a ton of cash,you should be able to scrounge up a pile of used race car parts and put something together for a reasonable price.
This won't be a max effort build so the money I save NOT going to LS motor can be spent where it counts...suspension/brakes.

Originally Posted by 1964SS
This would be a fun project. I actually picked up a 1974 L-82 C3 to flip last year for $2500 so they can be found cheap. I ended up restoring it and selling it, but I was very tempted to do the LS swap in it. Also, you can find the 5.3 truck motors dirt cheap, but it's not always the route to go. In the long run they can dollar you to death after swapping intake, pan and accessories to fit.
I agree, with the price of LS parts and people thinking they are gold it can add up fast. LT motors are more than capable making power for what I would use it for. Freshen it up and add a LE2 Head/cam package and make more power than I would really need in a stripped down C3.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Well went to see my father in law who owns a body shop specializing in corvette's. Was a great source of knowledge comparing different year C2's and C3's.

Left there with prices for a bushing rebuild kit, caliper rebuild kit and front sway bar. The rest would be up to us for shock/sprng selection and motor.

Hardest part I see is the integration of a modern engine in a old platform...all new gauges since factory gauges are mechanical and also wiring/mounting the PCM/fuse panel. Also be interesting to use a hydraulic clutch setup. My plan is to use a Fbody setup since it is easy to find and hopefully mount in the space a C3 has.

Overall the plans have changed to retain factory suspension setup (although replacing all bushings) as well as factory fixed 4 piston calipers. This will only save me money which I'm happy about.

Still a LONG way from doing this but just wanted to update and thank people that chimed in. Going to have to "plan out" cost-wise a LT1 and LS1 build. Spend less on LT1 but mod it (LE1 or 2 H/C package) to equal LS1 territory, or spend more up front and just drop in a LS1 untouched. I'd be happy with 330hp/350tq which is what my 04 M6 GTO made when I owned it.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing a LS2 swap into a 1965 chevy C10 right now. Actually depending on what your wanting goal wise I'm reusing my factory gauges Auto meter makes an adapter kit to use mechanical gauges with ls swaps. Just an FYI. But in my opinion aftermarket gauges will probably be more accurate and better reading than old style gauges anyways. I also wouldn't waste time on LT1 swap, make the LS engine be in budget. Even a 4.8 or 5.3 turbo build would be fun.

Quick Reply: General swap questions