Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Chevelle L76/6L80E swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Chevelle L76/6L80E swap

Thanks for the help so far on this swap! I getting so close to finishing up here, I have a few issues that I still need an assist with:

67 Chevelle. L76 6.0 engine with 6L80E trans. Wilwood brakes, CPP protouring stage IV, Strange S60 rear @ 3.73, Hooker headers, pro comp Stage III cam with DOD delete/upgraded trunions/pushrods/titanium valve springs...

-I am using a B&M megashifter with the 6L80E trans. I have 4L60E shifter bracket but it doesn't exactly work. I can't find a 6L80E brackets for the shifter cable so I think I need to modify the brackter I have. I assume as long as the bracket allows the cable to align parallel to the shifter gate bracket and allow the extended cable to stay close to center line that it should shifter correctly. ANY input would be appreciated.

-PCV and vacuum tubes. Can someone give me a diagram for the L76. I really need to know the ID sizes and routing for the PCV and vacuum lines.

I should be done with this build next week, then I will start the build thread.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 6l80 hooked up using a stock center shifter setup for an o. d. trans for a year before I changed over to the shifter from speartech . from what I remenber it was a bit tricky getting it all to shift correctly from p all the way to the manual or sport position of the trans.you may have to drill a different hole on the arm or bracket that attatches to the trans to get the correct spacing in between each shift location . Are you using anything to shift into the lower gears ? the shifter from speartech works well and gives you easy manual shifting via thumb, although it wont look period correct in a 67 and you would need to build a console for it . Can you post some pics ? JOHN
Old 12-21-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are talking about the bracket that bolts to the transmission pan screws then yes you will have to modify one. I think we used one designed for a 4L65E. We welded on some extra length and redrilled one hole to line up. Working just fine. This was around two years ago and I don't know if anyone has come up with a bracket for the 6L80 since then.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I adapted a Lokar shifter for 4L80. The detents come from the transmission selector not from the shifter, so that makes things easier.

Yes, make sure the cable clamp bracket is square to the end of the selector arm.

I used, but modified the stock cable clamp bracket for the 6L80. And also modified either the stock selector arm or the one which came with the Lokar kit. I think I modified the stock one.

If the shifter has its own detents, that may complicate things. I might try to disable them in some way.

I used the stock PCV, which draws clean air in from the intake manifold downstream of the MAF. Post a picture of the intake setup and perhaps we can help more.

I'm running a hydroboost vs. vacuum booster. The booster line on my L92 is at the back of the intake manifold. It was about 12mm (1/2")

Doug

Quick Reply: 67 Chevelle L76/6L80E swap