Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions

I bought a used 4L80E transmission with 120K miles (I was told). Didn't see it run. The guy swaped a 4WD transmission in his 2wd truck.
Anyways, I'd like to get an aftermarket torque converter for it.
Before I do this I'd like to know what can I inspect before I install it in the car to make sure nothing is wrong with it. I don't want to pay close to a 1000 dollars on a TC that would get damaged if the transmission blows not long after.

So I opened the pan, it looks clean inside, oils is dark red, brownish. The gasket had black and orange gasket maker on it so I guess it was opened a couple of times, hopefully just for maintenance (fluid and filter change). It did not have much fluid but it's missing the dipstick as well as the tube so I guess much of it was drained through the dipstick hole.

I'll install a drain plug and a new filter but since I am in there what else should I do? Change the plate and the ***** with torlon check *****?
Anything else?
I don't want to spend more money than necessary besides basic maintenance if nothing else needs attention. It will be behind a very mildly cammed LQ4.

Quick Reply: decisions