Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS in Nova, building my own PS tank, vented or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LS in Nova, building my own PS tank, vented or not?

So I am building my own aluminum power steering tank for the Ls swap in my Nova. I have the Holley accessory brackets and corvette style PS pump with remote reservoir. The Holley/Corvette reservoir won't fit with my intake setup so I have to go custom. I am running the 87 camaro quick ratio steering box.

I'm assuming the OEM reservoir has a "puke type" cap on it when pressure builds up?

My question is, do I need a vent?

If so my thoughts so far were:

1. Dirt Bike style gas tank vent

or

2. Drill a small hole in the center of the cap (~1/16" or so)

Pics for reference.

Any/all feedback is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Here's a pic of a dirt bike style roll over valve.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice sheet metal work. To my knowledge most all OEM systems are vented at the cap. No real tech to offer though.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:44 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will want to add some kind of vent. Try to make sure it has a baffle to prevent it from spraying the entire engine compartment down. What about making the threads so you could use a factory cap?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LLave
Nice sheet metal work. To my knowledge most all OEM systems are vented at the cap. No real tech to offer though.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by G-Body
You will want to add some kind of vent. Try to make sure it has a baffle to prevent it from spraying the entire engine compartment down. What about making the threads so you could use a factory cap?
I tried looking for a factory cap style aluminum boss to weld on, but couldn't find one.

After searching the net more, I have seen more cases where people who just put a small hole in the cap.

I have also see where people use a pneumatic exhaust vent like this one.

I don't want to ruin my cap with a hole in case it doesn't work, so I think I'll weld a 1/4" npt boss on the tank, and either screw in a pipe plug with a small hole in it, or screw in one of those exhaust fittings.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Though not required, I would consider adding a rollover vent valve.

Do you have any details/photos of the cold air box you fabricated in the fender area? That looks very nice. You seem to have a knack for fabricating these types of shapes!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Though not required, I would consider adding a rollover vent valve.

Do you have any details/photos of the cold air box you fabricated in the fender area? That looks very nice. You seem to have a knack for fabricating these types of shapes!
Thanks.

Yes I have a complete build thread here, first post has the table of contents.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=281657
Old 01-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default threaded aluminum bung

You might consider a weld in threaded bung with vented cap. They come in a multitude of size as come weldable steel or aluminum. As I am having reservoir clearance issues with my LS1, which is going in a 36' Chevy coupe, I am cutting off the neck and welding this one in. They make for a very clean install.
Attached Thumbnails LS in Nova, building my own PS tank, vented or not?-20160113_165615.jpg   LS in Nova, building my own PS tank, vented or not?-20160113_165630.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fields36
You might consider a weld in threaded bung with vented cap. They come in a multitude of size as come weldable steel or aluminum. As I am having reservoir clearance issues with my LS1, which is going in a 36' Chevy coupe, I am cutting off the neck and welding this one in. They make for a very clean install.
That's a cool cap, I hadn't seen that before, great Idea. Essentially I bought the little pneumatic exhaust filter that is on the bottom of the cap and will be fitting that to the reservoir.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

From my build thread on another forum. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

So I had some time this evening to TIG up the power steering reservoir. I also machined a bulkhead/bung to mount my little vent. I made it with an integrated baffle to help keep leakage down. I still need to make mounts for it, but need to buy some aluminum flat bar.

First up I cut a chunk of aluminum rod off and machined the faces flat.

Then I drilled it 90% of the way through with a 7/16" bit. Next up was to machine a slot and pierce through to the middle. Followed by tapping it 1/4" NPT for the vent.

Next up was to drill a hole for the bung to go through. The idea is to point the slot at the cap since the walls of a tank always get more splash than the middle.

I dimpled the center of the slot so I knew how to orient it.

Welded. Its amazing how much further your Argon goes when your hose isn't leaking .

Next up build some mounts!
Old 01-16-2016, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Finished the reservoir.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

So I did some research today to try and wrap up the plan for the power steering system. I stumbled on an article I read before regarding steering box upgrades when looking for fitting sizes. Interestingly, it also has this nugget of info:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis...g-box-upgrade/

He recommends an external reservoir for the power steering pump. Lee's reservoirs use a sealed cap that maintains 10 psi of residual pressure to improve steering pump efficiency. A large reservoir is not necessary. All the GM sheetmetal reservoirs that are integral to the pump also work very well. All plastic GM power steering reservoir caps over the last 30 years have incorporated check valves to create some residual pressure.
Well good thing I didn't drill a hole in my cap, looks like if I have issues, I may be swapping out my vent for a 5-10psi relief valve instead.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work and thank you for sharing the tip on the Lee's box article. I got a real laugh when I saw the Amazon box for a mock-up battery! Great pics.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Proven Guilty
Nice work and thank you for sharing the tip on the Lee's box article. I got a real laugh when I saw the Amazon box for a mock-up battery! Great pics.
Thanks! I had to put the Amazon box there because I kept trying to route lines and mount things in the battery area. The engine compartment started filling up, and my brain kept wanting to "tetris" things there.

Quick Reply: LS in Nova, building my own PS tank, vented or not?