Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!

Starting to gather everything i need to do a smog legal swap of a 2001 ls1 into my 91 rx7 FC TT. Now everything i hear is all the original smog equipment from the camaro ls1 need to be there in the original spot unmodified...thats no problem now the problem is the fuel pump... i hear eveeything from its legal tobuse the rx7 fuel pump, you have to install the camaro fuel pump into the rx7 tank " if u ever seen them u know thats virtual impossible or a p.t.a" or using the camaro fuel tank and pump making it fit on to the RX7 chassis.. anyone know the right answer? Live in California ��
Old 01-15-2016, 07:39 AM
Teching In

I live in California and am also doing a newer motor to older car engine swap. I don't know what's "right" yet because I haven't been to the BAR referee. However, I think the safer choice is to swap the tank, pump and the filler pipe and cap. The reason I say this is that they are after more than just the OEM fuel pump - they want the evap OEM hardware too - and that usually involves the tank vent, the evap cannister, the return into the filler pipe and the sealing of the OEM fill cap.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Teching In

SparkyDog,
So went to the bar website now it wasnt concrete clear but basically says the whatever engine you swap into the rx7 has to have all of the engines orignal emissions control, and since the evap, and canister etc is built into the top of the camaros fuel pump that solves one problem, it also states that the chassis must retain the stock location of the filler tube. So that means the rx7 gas cap can stay as well..now the new question is do you modify / build a new fuel tank to fit the camaro fuel pump while retaining the stock filler tube? Will the camaro fuel tank fit in place of the Rx7 fc tank? Or do you juat figure of an adapter plate to have the camaro fuel pump fit into the rx7 fc tank? The camaro fuel pump in a perfect 4inch circle while the rx7 fc pump is an awsome 4 long and 3inch wide oval ... i hate california sometimes
Old 01-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Seems like you'll have to at least cut on the Rx7's tank just to get the camaro fuel pump inside. But that's probably less work than trying to get the camaro tank to fit into the body of the Rx7. However if the camaro tank held more fuel and it could be made to fit... then maybe it would be worth trying to do?

Or what about finding a better donor tank from a 3rd car? One that already has a large enough access plate, holds lots of fuel, has the correct side filler pipe and the correct shape to fit into the Rx7?

When I get to that part of my build on the Porsche I'm going to try and put the GM tank in because the Porsche tank and vent system was poorly setup back in the 80's and I'm hoping the GM tank holds more fuel. But the Porsche is a right hand fill pipe and I think most/all GM's are left hand. So I may need to find a 3rd car for the tank.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Sparkydog,

I was thinking of just cutting and welding the rx7 fc tank to fit and accept the camaro fuel pump but the charcoal canister and evap is another issue if u look up images of the camaro tank it all fits right on top of the tank next to the pump. Making the gm tank fit could also be a problem cause like your porche the rx7 is right hand fill gm is left i think. IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF A TANK THAT FITS SAY SOMETHING!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The type of fuel cap must match the donor (Camaro) vehicle in function; it doesn't have to be the Camaro cap. If the test tool they use determines the Rx7 fuel cap holds pressure / vaccuum in the same way the Camaro cap does (but with a different threaded adapter,) that's passable. But, you might have to explain you found both to be the same seal/vent type and possibly back it up with a PN.

Don't cut and weld a fuel tank based on what you "hear." You should only resort to that
on a vintage tank that's no longer available that has no way in hell of accepting a larger diameter sender / pump / evap. line assembly through the stock opening.

They are accommodating as far as donor parts that will not fit the recipient, such as exhaust for example, but in this case the fuel pump. If you have the same fuel system functional components (fuel hi-side, fuel return if applicable, evap. breather line, evap. vent valve, evap canister.) and the system functions like a Camaro, it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, have you tried fitting the Camaro pump to the Rx-7 sending unit assembly?

Talk to them. In person. On the phone. They have seen enough examples that you'll get ideas of what's passable.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

If you haven't already, cross post to norotors. There's at least a couple of FD3 guys who have gotten their cars smuggled with LSx swaps over there who can help and who have done the drill. Intake box was a biggie as I recall and I think at least one had to drive to the ref with the hood off to fit the damn thing - and it was allowed.... (sigh)
Old 01-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Default Blkmgk

JDM, maybe some example photos will help my explain my situation. Have no intention of cutti g or welding the fuel tank any time soon untill i know its the only option. So heres what the stock rx7 fc fuel tank and fuel pump set up looks like along with the 2001 z28 tank and pump set up. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!-p8220069.jpg   Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!-photo25.jpg   Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!-ls1tank.jpg   Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!-hqdefault.jpg   Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!-fuel20system.gif  

Last edited by bigrigwrecker; 01-16-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 01-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
If you haven't already, cross post to norotors. There's at least a couple of FD3 guys who have gotten their cars smuggled with LSx swaps over there who can help and who have done the drill. Intake box was a biggie as I recall and I think at least one had to drive to the ref with the hood off to fit the damn thing - and it was allowed.... (sigh)
Yeah been to norotors.com but the FD setup way different from the FC gens. And most of the FD they just swaped an EO ls6 and call it a day. I have the intake and engine bay smog components down its just this damn fuel system thats pissing me off.. cause more just have the evap ,fuel pressure regulator etc outside the tank and bolted under the hood or chassis but to pass in Cali they have to stay in the same place as the donor.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Anybody know if the fuel pressure sensor on the z28 fuel pump is removable cause that might solve my probelm. I could just use the rx7 fuel pump, add the fuel pressure sensor from the z28 pump to it and thats that.. just need to add the evap charcoal canister and fuel pressure regulator.thoughts?

Last edited by bigrigwrecker; 01-29-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Smog legal rx7 FC ls1 swap "oldy but a goody" fuel pump!