Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sbc to Ls1 84 Elco SS help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sbc to Ls1 84 Elco SS help.

Im planning on pulling the original 305 out of my 84 El Camino SS and going the EFI route but I dont know all that much about it. I heard the LS series is the way to go. I was hoping on keeping my 350 turbo tranny considering I just had it beefed up. But Im more concerned of what I should be looking for. Like what car or truck should i find to pull the motor out of. What kind of extra stuff do i need ignition and computer wise. I basically need the run down because everywhere I look i cant find much of anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:22 AM

Also what kind of kits would make this process easier. But affordable.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go with hooker swap kit. PsI conversions for harness/ pcm
Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to Swap GM LS-Series Engines into Almost Anything (S-A Design): Jefferson Bryant: 9781932494815: Amazon.com: Books How to Swap GM LS-Series Engines into Almost Anything (S-A Design): Jefferson Bryant: 9781932494815: Amazon.com: Books

Read the stickies here...ALL of them.

TH350 can work..you'll need mounts, pan (don't use LH8/muscle car one), fuel, accessories. Easy right? Read the stickies...make a list, organize, and price as you go.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Default 84 SS Elky swap

Brandon,

Congrats on a beautiful car. I love those myself. I had an 81 Elky that I swapped an LT1 / T56 into and it ran great. LT1 and LS1 are two different things but the same ideas will work.

Engine and transmission mounts, use the Holley G Body system, can't get any easier since they bolt the engine in right on your stock clamshells. The Holley accessory drive will allow you to run AC if you want with a Buick or Olds evaporator for the AC which switches the lines to the passenger side. You will need custom lines made but that can come later. There are a lot of ideas on here, some guys used stock Cutlass lines and they bolted right in.

Wiring and computer, pretty much any reputable company can handle that, PSI, Painless, Speartech, etc.

Electric fans, I used an LT1 / LS1 Fbody setup mounted in the stock position. PCM of NC offers a nice kit to wire the fans and plug in to a GMPP harness fuse box.

Fuel system is pretty easy as well. These cars came in 4.3 TBI EFI setups. Use a stock replacement tank and fuel sender with a good pump. For lines you can use stock Monte Carlo / El Camino 4.3 EFI lines with a filter inline in the stock position. This is a feed and return style. Worked fine for the LT1.

But even simpler, run a C5 Corvette filter/regulator mounted in front of the tank and run a feed line up to the engine. If you turn the fuel rails around on the engine the feed will be on the passenger side where the G Body cars run their fuel lines. Another option is to come up the drivers side like the Buicks did. I'm running a 4.3 EFI tank with a Racetronix pump/harness with the C5 filter/regulator in my 86 Monte Carlo SS swap.

The one biggest piece of advice to offer is to replace the rear end as soon as you possibly can. The 7.5 may live OK behind an automatic but with a stick you will destroy it. I went through 3 in my Elky and have rebuilt and since replaced the 7.5 in my 2000 Z28.

All of this is in the do-able category. Best of luck to you.

Tom
Old 01-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many G-body build threads that provide a lot of answers to your questions.
This is a great example of one of them..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...m-preview.html

Quick Reply: Sbc to Ls1 84 Elco SS help.