Sponsored by:

Project: Money Well Wasted

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: Money Well Wasted

Hello everyone, First time project.

I have a 1986 GMC S-15 Base, Standard Cab, Short bed, 2wd. Was a Manual trans, 2.5l TBI. Manual brakes, Manual steering. No rust, Engine, Trans, Radiator or grill. I bought it because it was a cheap start at only $200 for it.

I have been reading and reading for the past year on LS engines. but till got some questions that seemed to not be answered because I can not find them in my stack of notes.

I am working on a budget... I know everyone says that. and no one really gets the cost until you start it. But I am trying to gather information due to lack of some things that seem required.

I want to share something about the drivetrain in question for the swap.
2000 Chevrolet 3500, 2wd, std. cab, long bed, 6.0L with 4l60-e trans, IT has been wrecked. hit a tree on the drivers side cab. can not be put back on the road. it runs, drives, stops. dash is busted up, no gauge cluster.. For $1600 seems like a steal with only 96K miles.

Problems I have discovered from reading.

I cannot notch the frame. Lack of welder, knowledge.. I do not know anyone who could do it. or for what cost. I have talked to a few welding shops in my area and they said that they refused the work due to structural integrity. if I wrecked the truck I could say the crossmember broke. yadeeyada. so issues.

I wont be running a/c so if I read/understand I shouldn't need to notch the frame. Correct?

I do not plan on running power brakes unless I can use the brake booster/master/abs from the 3500 witch I doubt it. but just in case. will I have problems with not using the brake booster? Vac leak?

No power steering, I understand it will be a pain to steering with the weight. but for the moment it will work. unless I can use parts from the 3500.. witch again I doubt.

If I understand I can use a 4.3l radiator with e-fans. The donor has the rad/fans complete cooling system in it.. will they interchange? modifications?

I am also wondering if anyone has used the ebay LS mounts? when I bought the truck I got a brand new set of 2.8l mounts so all I need is the engine side. just curious.

Wiring is always a pain. but I can figure it out thanks to research n a few forums. but might run into some problems. there is always problems.

The donor truck has the complete fuel system/emissions everything. what can I re-use? will the intank pump work in mine? any ideas?

So in the end. what can I re-use?

Thank you everyone fr reading. hope to buy this truck depending on the answers.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well you have lots of questions. I have not done s-10 yet. just my c-10 & skylark. mounts on ebay probably work well. Just get the slotted adjustable kind so you can have some movement if needed. Wiring from donor truck can be used. Go to Lt1Swap.com he has great info. The tranny should be a 4L80E on a 6.0, no big deal. Price seems little high but I don't know your area. Fuel system I would mount Silverado pump onto a efi S-10 same body style. I know 86-93 was efi already so should be easy to do. Just redo fuel lines up to engine, run inline filter like truck has already. If needed you can find somebody with welder skills. Just run ad on craigs list find someone. Oil pan im not sure which is easiest to use. You probably need to build a tranny crossmember. Driveshaft as well. Good luck
Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Too bad you weren't closer. BOL.B
Old 01-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Find somebody who is a car guy and who is a fabricator - which is a dude who can weld AND design stuff. You will need a resource like this at some point in your project. As already mentioned - try craigslist. Or go to a car meet of some type and ask guys with cars who they use.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Imo, Def gonna need to notch the frame for oil pan clearance. Some guys get away without but most notch it. Depending on the pan & engine mounts u use will determine how much to notch. Also take a "bfh" to the pinch weld that meets the trans tunnel & firewall and bash it up flat. This way u give yourself some more wiggle room. I'm doing a '92 Sonoma extended cab and I used the Autocraft oil pan, def had to notch and had plenty of ground clearance. It hangs about 1 1/2" above the k-member. Check out "current performance" and "brp" for all your s10 swap needs. I'm using the adjustable poly engine mounts from current performance.

Quick Reply: Project: Money Well Wasted