Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaving the awd world... LS1 swap in the works

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving the awd world... LS1 swap in the works

Tearing out the awd in order to do something more unique so I thought I'd start a thread with the progress.

Goals: maintain all factory functionality while and passing the state ref examination

Yesterday after weeks of research, I bought my LS1 on ebay from an 02 Camaro and recently purchased a T56 (built) by another forum member here.

I want to use a ford explorer 8.8" rear differential but also have my eyes set on the ZL1 camaro rear diff. The options for the 8.8" ford are more diverse but we will see what I finally decide to go with. Going with the oem evo rear diff was an option but read a lot about rear diffs for these things going out because of high torque and horsepower numbers. Much easier to have custom axles made than to try to make the oem rear diff indestructible.

General questions I will need to address in the coming days are:

1. Are there any aftermarket clusters that have CEL display. At this point I want to run an S2K cluster for a more modern look but if there is something aftermarket with similar style, I'd be open to it. I know the complications of running an S2k cluster because of the differences in the speedometer signal but hopefully the dakota electronics module is enough to fix that.

2. With the ZL1 rear differential (if I was to go with that), is the detroit locker my best option?

3. I read alot about R230 300zx diff being "durable," does anyone have any experience with these things in a setup exceeding 600whp?

4. Enough with the questions, here is what the LS swap is going to replace... 4g63t.... Ready for the flaming comments like "what a waste" hahah
Attached Thumbnails Leaving the awd world... LS1 swap in the works-image.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

I'm GUESSING this is a Talon or EVO? R230 - don't do it. The ZXTT housing won't accept the larger gears you're likely to want to run for daily usage. The ZXTT came with some fairly 4.xish gears as I recall and the Armada more normal gears won't fit the case. So, you'd need an Armada housing AND a ZXTT diff to get both the LSD and gears. You will then find that the stub axles shear and cannot handle good power and traction and last I looked nothing aftermarket existed. Your gear selection will be crappy no matter what. The HybridZ guys learned all of this and plans to do it after a shop in Florida took forever putting my diff together and stopped giving me updates (sigh). Costly experience.

Do an 8.8 be it IRS or otherwise, HybridZ guys have worked that out so if an R230 was a bolt in they could be helpful. If you stick to the stock diff research gear ratios, it might not be suitable for that reason alone.

Clusters - what ECU. If you go aftermarket there's a TON offered that look better than the S2K which I frankly find hideous and gaudy. Racepack, Motec, SpeedHut hardware can be setup nice, so can DakotaDigital, and a myriad of other companies. Some of the new CAN based gauges are incredibly flexible if you run AEM or proEFI.

Hope that helps some!

P.S. Which state's emissions exactly? Is the motor newer or older than platform, if older you may have a problem.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I'm GUESSING this is a Talon or EVO? R230 - don't do it. The ZXTT housing won't accept the larger gears you're likely to want to run for daily usage. The ZXTT came with some fairly 4.xish gears as I recall and the Armada more normal gears won't fit the case. So, you'd need an Armada housing AND a ZXTT diff to get both the LSD and gears. You will then find that the stub axles shear and cannot handle good power and traction and last I looked nothing aftermarket existed. Your gear selection will be crappy no matter what. The HybridZ guys learned all of this and plans to do it after a shop in Florida took forever putting my diff together and stopped giving me updates (sigh). Costly experience.

Do an 8.8 be it IRS or otherwise, HybridZ guys have worked that out so if an R230 was a bolt in they could be helpful. If you stick to the stock diff research gear ratios, it might not be suitable for that reason alone.

Clusters - what ECU. If you go aftermarket there's a TON offered that look better than the S2K which I frankly find hideous and gaudy. Racepack, Motec, SpeedHut hardware can be setup nice, so can DakotaDigital, and a myriad of other companies. Some of the new CAN based gauges are incredibly flexible if you run AEM or proEFI.

Hope that helps some!

P.S. Which state's emissions exactly? Is the motor newer or older than platform, if older you may have a problem.
My motor is from an 02, chassis is an 01 so I'm good there. I'll look heavily into the explorer 8.8" because gearing options seem to be very diverse. I think that the detroit locker for that is also reasonable in price. However, the ZL1 I already found for about $900 so that seems like a good deal also. Do any of those guages that you mentioned offer something equivalent to the CEL? Or do they just display the code immediately
Old 01-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Teching In

After deciding and researching, I will go with the ZL1 rear diff. The LS3 pushes a lot of torque without that diff giving out so I feel safe with that. I will be adding this unless there is a better suggestion for getting traction

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...trac/index.htm

Additional items:
1. Z28 Catalytic converter and muffler
2. Trunk latch or use aerocatch with key
3. Z28 fuel tank, an upgrade since it has the evap and its smaller than the evo gas tank I had originally. Trying to avoid running a fuel cell
4. Control arms and other reinforcement for chassis

Last edited by LJ7two4; 01-31-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 879 Posts

I have no hate for this project, but in order to offer some suggestions it would be helpful to know how you plan to use this car. Is it a drag car, road race, street, drift, etc...?

Andrew
Old 01-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I have no hate for this project, but in order to offer some suggestions it would be helpful to know how you plan to use this car. Is it a drag car, road race, street, drift, etc...?

Andrew
Building the car for occasional street use and possibly setup for some light track duty.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Picked up a transmission from a member here... T56 basically brand new
Old 02-03-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I know the Dakota digital uses the small check engine symbol for their CEL.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964SS
I know the Dakota digital uses the small check engine symbol for their CEL.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd488.htm

Thanks! Was looking into options and this one came up!

Also, this LS1 evo 8 making my goal a little more realistic...nore research to do

Looking into this clutch and bellhousing as well:
http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-ls...-applications/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qti-rm-8020/overview/

LS1 Timing Chain upgrade? Anyone have any experience with this? I have an Ls1 out of an 02 camaro
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...chain-ls1.html

How are people attacking adding an AC compressor? This any good for my application?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...nNEaAvkA8P8HAQ
Attached Thumbnails Leaving the awd world... LS1 swap in the works-14073002232_2f4a0a9a87_b.jpg  

Last edited by LJ7two4; 02-07-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Teching In

The fun is about to begin!!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

The 8.8" IRS diff can be had for cheap.... and has a zillion gear ratio offerings new from Ford Motorsports (FMS). The Explorer style can be had for under $250.... most likely it would need an LSD installed. Luckily there are also a zillion options for this diff depending upon use. The factory Track-Loc is probably all that you need. The Explorer diff mounts the pinion snout up top and provides lots of exhaust clearance... the Cobra/Thunderbird/Lincoln MKVIII diff mounts the pinion snout down low.... allowing less exhaust clearance.
Then you need to figure out how to mount the rear of the case.

New FMS gears from Summit: $160 (these are the quietest gears.... others aren't)
2.73, 3.08, 3.27, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56

The LS7 clutch and factory steel flywheel is a tank coming in at around 65lbs total. If that is your clutch choice... at least run an aluminum LS2 flywheel or it will rev like a drunk lazy dog.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gnx7
The 8.8" IRS diff can be had for cheap.... and has a zillion gear ratio offerings new from Ford Motorsports (FMS). The Explorer style can be had for under $250.... most likely it would need an LSD installed. Luckily there are also a zillion options for this diff depending upon use. The factory Track-Loc is probably all that you need. The Explorer diff mounts the pinion snout up top and provides lots of exhaust clearance... the Cobra/Thunderbird/Lincoln MKVIII diff mounts the pinion snout down low.... allowing less exhaust clearance.
Then you need to figure out how to mount the rear of the case.

New FMS gears from Summit: $160 (these are the quietest gears.... others aren't)
2.73, 3.08, 3.27, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56

The LS7 clutch and factory steel flywheel is a tank coming in at around 65lbs total. If that is your clutch choice... at least run an aluminum LS2 flywheel or it will rev like a drunk lazy dog.

Theres a ton of LS7 clutch and flywheel for sale locally but they are for corvette?

Will this work for me or does it have to be specifically for camaro?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Teching In

So I know it's been a while. Any updates? Thinking about doing this as well 😁
Old 03-29-2017, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have got an extra VLSD R230 sitting in my garage. Its for sale!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Q45 rear diff in my LS/T56 S14 with a ratio of 3.54 and find it near perfect with a 275/40/17 on the back. 1st gear is very usable and I'm at about 1800rpm in 6th at 75mph. I wouldn't run anything shorter than a 3.73 with the T-56 if you want 1st gear to be usable. Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Teching In

The car still under the knife. Need to figure out what pedal setup to use. Lookin into the wilwood brake and clutch combo for simplicity and ease of selecting master cylinders. Have a ford 8.8" with 3.73 gearing going in for the rear diff. Custom CV's and drive shaft will be needed but thats another issue for later on. I'm thinking of just doing this build completely NA but not sure yet

Here is the car currently...engine fits nicely
Attached Thumbnails Leaving the awd world... LS1 swap in the works-img_6812.jpg  
Old 05-29-2017, 03:54 AM
Teching In

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-...r-102-intakes/

Still a long way to go.
Attached Thumbnails Leaving the awd world... LS1 swap in the works-img_2039.jpg  

Quick Reply: Leaving the awd world... LS1 swap in the works