Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! 72 monte/ LQ4 muncie info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 72 monte/ LQ4 muncie info needed

HelloLS fans. I am preparing to put a 2005 LQ4 in my 72 monte carlo and am getting alittle overwhelmed even though I have not turned a bolt or ordered anything. Ihave the engine, harness, computer, alternator, power steering pump and accompressor from the truck. My car started life as a 350/ th350 bench seat carwith ac. I have removed the th350 and replaced with a Muncie 4 speed with 621bell housing, bucket seats and console. My goal is to have the LQ4 installedwith AC and power steering. I have beendoing lots of research and have answered some of these questions and have leftthat info here. Here are some areas thatI believe will need some attention:
1.Flywheel. Sachs 1050 is flywheel number from a 2005 3500 chevy truck with6.0.The pilot bushing/ bearing is GM part number 12557583. Pressure plate bolts are GM part number 12561465. What would be the part number for theflywheel bolts? What would be the partnumber for bell housing to block bolts or do I just get some grade 5 metricbolts of the appropriate size? I havenever confirmed that a bell housing is centered with crank. Is there a part number for the offset dowels?
2.Will my stock radiator work? I hope so, I just bought a new one last summer. DoI need to go to electric fans?
3. Idon't see a place to mount my clutch linkage to the block. :SDPC sells abracket at 800-456-0211 part # sdcb for $60
4. Iwant to keep air conditioning. I currently am using R12 and just bought a newcondenser (I think that's the piece in front of radiator), dryer and POA valve.Can I use the AC from the LS and use all the other stuff that is already on mycar and just convert it to 134?
5. Iwill need new motor mounts. I see plenty of vendors for those. Any I shouldstay away from?
6.Fuel. Do I need a new tank? I can’t understand why I can’t mount an externalelectric pump to pull fuel from the stock tank. Of course, what do I know??
7. Iwould like to have power steering. Can I use the LS pump and my steering boxand buy some hoses that will work? Will I have to have new hoses made?
8.Will there be a vacuum port for my brake booster to tap into?
9.Harness and computer. Should I use the truck harness and have it modified orbuy another harness? Money is very important but electrical is not my strongsuit. Are there modifications that I need to have made to the computer? I think so. Is there a good source for this?
10.Although I don't have the gauge pack on my dash yet, I eventually hope to havea factory tach and all gauges instead of idiot lights. Do I need to make anyspecial arrangements for my tach, temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge to work?
11.What do I need to do for an alternator? Do I use the LS alternator? Do I needto make some wiring changes for that to work?
12.Are there any special considerations for an oil pan? I see folks speaking of aCTV-s pan but not sure if I would be better off to get a Holley part number302-2?
13.I would like to have cruise control. (my car did not come with it) Can Iinstall the factory cruise switch which is on the signal light lever and havethe computer do the rest? I do have the gas pedal from the truck.
14.Any special starter considerations?
15.What about an air filter/ air box?
16.exhaust manifolds or headers? For money considerations, I am considering goingwith the exhaust manifolds. Not sure if the stock 2500 truck ones will work orif I need to go to a 2010-2015 Camaro setup. Or something else?
17.flywheel inspection cover: GM part numbers 24261712 and 24261713.
18. speedometer. What Ihave now will work for speed but will need a pass through VSS to send a signalto the computer. Any part numbers orstyles I should consider?
19. Itlooks like I will have to cut hole, weld bung and tread in a sensor. Will there just be one of them? What about the location?
Myplans for this car are to drive it, a lot. I do not plan to install turbos orrace. To be honest, my old 350 has enough power to make me grin, especiallywith the 4 speed. I just really like the looks and dependability of the LS.After looking at all of these needed items, I am almost hesitant to jump intothis because the reward might not be worth the expense for me. Any info you guys can give would be greatlyappreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Help! 72 monte/ LQ4 muncie info needed-dscn3702.jpg  
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

1) Just to confirm, your Muncie is a 10 spline, right? The sachs flywheel is only needed with 10 spline. Flywheel/crank bolts, look up an 05 Silverado with manual trans. They will fit. I bought metric bell to block bolts from Sears hardware. JEGS, Summit, etc sell offset GM pins in 0.007, 0.014. and 0.021.
2) Your radiator will work. You can use electric or truck mechanical fan with all truck water pumps.
3) the SD bracket will work, but might require some clearncing of a boss on the block.
4) Holley sells an LS bracket for your old R4 compressor. No need to change anything.
5) Never had issues with rubber, poly, or solid motor mounts. Just look up short/wide and tall/narrow for the correct ones.
6) Wide, shallow tanks tend to get air in the pump. I would recommend a tank with internal pump and sump.
7) The truck pump will work. Search my past posts for hose options.
8) Truck intakes have at least a fitting for brake booster.
9) LT1swap.com for everything harness and ecu.
10)Ecu reprogram for tach, adapters (Speedway Motors) for your original temp and oil senders.
11) LS alternator is fine, wiring info at LT1swap.
12) Holley pan is shallower, a must if you lower the car.
13) Cruise control is built in the ecu/TAC if you have DBW. Your GM stalk will work with it.
14) Use the 05 truck starter
15) Plenty of examples here for intake from stock to custom cowl induction.
16) Stock exhaust will work fine with relatively stock motor. Your manifolds will have to clear your Z bar though. Check out 98-02 F body.
17) Inspection cover PN in my earlier thread.
18) The Muncie speedo output will make any mechanical speedo work. The Dakota Digital pass through will work for the ecu but not support your DBW cruise control function.
19) If you're referring to the VSS I added to the T10. I replaced the DD pass thru VSS with the T10 mounted one so that the reluctor (reverse gear) had enough pulse per mile for the cruise to work.
If expense is an issue, consider a 5.3. They're more plentiful and are less than half the cost of a 6.0.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning Gary. Many thanks for all of this info.
1. I have a 26 spline input shaft on my Muncie and already have the 11" clutch on it. It is my understanding that I will still need the 1050 flywheel and thought it was good for 10 or 26 spline.
5. To determine short/ wide, tall/ narrow, what needs to be considered?
7. I will check out your posts.
13. I will got with the Holley. This car sits really low.
18. Do you know what would be required to make cruise control work? My car was not equipped with cruise from the factory but I do know where I can get the factory controls.
19. I already have the 6.0 with harness, computer, power steering, alternator and ac.

Once again, many thanks.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Re-read the Mating an LS to Muncie thread.
You can go with an LS1/2/7 etc or Sachs flywheel with 26 spline.

Search here for mount types, pics are shown.

All you need for adding cruise to an 05 motor is a Normally Open GM column stalk or a Rosta Universal dash controller. It does get wired to the 4 post GM brake light switch and clutch pedal switch (optional).

Originally Posted by farmall
Good morning Gary. Many thanks for all of this info.
1. I have a 26 spline input shaft on my Muncie and already have the 11" clutch on it. It is my understanding that I will still need the 1050 flywheel and thought it was good for 10 or 26 spline.
5. To determine short/ wide, tall/ narrow, what needs to be considered?
7. I will check out your posts.
13. I will got with the Holley. This car sits really low.
18. Do you know what would be required to make cruise control work? My car was not equipped with cruise from the factory but I do know where I can get the factory controls.
19. I already have the 6.0 with harness, computer, power steering, alternator and ac.

Once again, many thanks.

Quick Reply: Help! 72 monte/ LQ4 muncie info needed