Sponsored by:

95 2-door body on Gmt900 frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 95 2-door body on Gmt900 frame

So i have searched, measured, and even googled about this conversion. I know the widths of the chassis are different where the new one is slimmer than the older chassis, i also know the new chassis is 3.5" longer wheelbase compared the the older one. So my plan is to match up the front section of the chassis then slightly alter the rear mounts to center the rear wheel in the wheel well.

This will be labor intensive with lots of fabrication and man hrs but when intry and merge the interior it will get more interestin. The inside dimensions are larger in the obs vs the nnbs. So I will have room for everything.

Problems, or there are many...

Do i start with a pickup chassis or tahoe. I like the tahoe rear end for its a lot more comfortable on the road, but needs help when loaded, the pickup chassis is great loaded but crap empty.

I thought about just updating the drivetrain and leaving the chassis alone, but its the same amount of labor and alterations, so why not start fresh and use the latest tech available vs tryin to frankenstein it.

I hope to have a 6.6ltr, 6 speed auto trans, with manual 4x4, and either 3.42 or 3.73 final drives with 20" wheels and all the bells and whistles to help this old girl live another 20yrs before her next upgrade...
Old 02-14-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
So i have searched, measured, and even googled about this conversion. I know the widths of the chassis are different where the new one is slimmer than the older chassis, i also know the new chassis is 3.5" longer wheelbase compared the the older one. So my plan is to match up the front section of the chassis then slightly alter the rear mounts to center the rear wheel in the wheel well.

This will be labor intensive with lots of fabrication and man hrs but when intry and merge the interior it will get more interestin. The inside dimensions are larger in the obs vs the nnbs. So I will have room for everything.

Problems, or there are many...

Do i start with a pickup chassis or tahoe. I like the tahoe rear end for its a lot more comfortable on the road, but needs help when loaded, the pickup chassis is great loaded but crap empty

I thought about just updating the drivetrain and leaving the chassis alone, but its the same amount of labor and alterations, so why not start fresh and use the latest tech available vs tryin to frankenstein it.

I hope to have a 6.6ltr, 6 speed auto trans, with manual 4x4, and either 3.42 or 3.73 final drives with 20" wheels and all the bells and whistles to help this old girl live another 20yrs before her next upgrade...
95 2 door what? And what is a Gmt 900 chassis?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, 95 Yukon goin onto a 2007-2013 chassis from either tahoe/yukon/sierra/silverado
Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Tahoe frame for sure, multi link rear, you could put airbags in place of springs and easily exceed load capacity of leafs.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slocaddy
Tahoe frame for sure, multi link rear, you could put airbags in place of springs and easily exceed load capacity of leafs.
I do that on all my tahoes.

It looks like thats the way i shall go then.

Quick Reply: 95 2-door body on Gmt900 frame