Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac wiring / pcm question. Pin 43

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ac wiring / pcm question. Pin 43

Per the wiriing diagram, my pin 43 ground wasn't giving out a signal to cycle the compressor on. I wired up a switch really fast for testing purposes to give the a/c clutch plug 12v & boom the compressor kicked on worked instantly and blew nice & cold.

I know this isn't the proper way because then the compressor wouldn't cycle on/off when the high/low pressure isn't adequate but again, it was for testing purposes.

I get power at pin 17 & I was also getting power at the pressure sensor & a ground signal.

My question is, is there anything I can do to test to see if I have something wrong with my PCM @ pin 43? I obviously want my a/c to be 100% functional & correct.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you have someone tune your computer? I had someone tune mine and he accidentally turned my A/C off in my tune.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

I'm the only one that's touched my PCM. I'll through my HP Tuners on just to double check it isn't something as simple as that.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fbody calibration requires the AC pressure sensor to be present. The compressor will not turn on unless the sensor reads a minimum pressure.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Efi69cam
fbody calibration requires the AC pressure sensor to be present. The compressor will not turn on unless the sensor reads a minimum pressure.
I have one, I mentioned in the post that I am getting a power & ground signal at the sensor.

The wiring diagram I posted below doesn't show the pressure sensor wiring, its just to show how to wire up the relays to send a 12v signal instead of the Nissan's stock ground signals.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use the a/c on/off button in HPTuners scanner. It will ignore sensor and request inputs.

Your compressor relay looks good.

So long as your pin 14 is +12 and 13 is GND you should be good. PCM needs 12+ input for the AC request at pin 17.

If all that checks out then the pressure sensor would be your last possibility beside PCM programming.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You failed to mention the type of compressor you are using. If you are running a 411 with the factory variable compressor you need to wire it just like the Camaro with a pressure sensor not switches. Variable compressors are not ment to cycle on and off like a fixed compressor does. If you are using a fixed compressor you need to wire it and program it like a Van or truck with a fixed compressor which uses pressure switches to turn the compressor on or off. There are programming parameters that allow you to change the compressor type. Wiring is different for each type. Regardless of the compressor type as long as your car came with a 134 type system the rest stays the same.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:22 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugh just updated my HPT version last week and it won`t let me redo my config file without connecting to a vehicle so I can`t give you a screenshot.

Anyway, Exidous beat me to it. Try commanding the A/C on with the scanner. If it does not enable then there might be a pcm problem. If it does then use the HPT scanner to check the A/C pressure sensor voltage and IIRC you can also use it to see if the A/C request is active. That should help narrow down where the problem is.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Far as I can tell the update to the scanner doesn't allow old config files to be used. Still investigating. May have to redo all of my configs. bleh!

Lot of cool options now though.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
You failed to mention the type of compressor you are using. If you are running a 411 with the factory variable compressor you need to wire it just like the Camaro with a pressure sensor not switches. Variable compressors are not ment to cycle on and off like a fixed compressor does. If you are using a fixed compressor you need to wire it and program it like a Van or truck with a fixed compressor which uses pressure switches to turn the compressor on or off. There are programming parameters that allow you to change the compressor type. Wiring is different for each type. Regardless of the compressor type as long as your car came with a 134 type system the rest stays the same.
I have the ACDELCO 1520730 compressor on my car. Ordered from Rock Auto, bought it for an 02 LS1 (same year as my motor). I also have a pressure sensor, picture below for reference. Honestly I'm not sure if the compressor I have is a variable or fixed compressor. I followed the wiring diagram that another ls1 swapped 240sx owner did and his worked as it should have. He also has a 97' 240sx with an 02 LS1 just like my car so I figured nothing would be different.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this isn't the proper way because then the compressor wouldn't cycle on/off when the high/low pressure isn't adequate but again, it was for testing purposes.
Your compressor is a variable compressor. It is not designed to turn on and off like a fixed compressor. it uses a sensor to read the pressure hence it is called a sensor. It is not a switch to turn it on and off like a AC system with a fixed compressor. Your AC request should turn the compressor on. The only time it will ever turn off with the AC request is if the pressure is really out of wack. If that is the case you have other problems like to much 134 in your system. Wire it like the 02 Camaro. Your issue is you need to make your control panel give a 12 AC request. Once that is done the rest is all 02 Camaro wiring.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ACMan.pdf (313.9 KB, 236 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:12 PM

ok guys i have a question for ya im doing a swap lm7 into a 87 iroc im using the 5.3 4l60 harness and pcm from the same truck i plan on having it flashed or whatever but im also thinking about just getting the hp tuner kit for 500 and flash it myself if thats possible i know u can do alot of tuning on those things but i see there is a credit system? i dont know what for but curious if anyone has used these to disable the vats and get it going any suggestions i would appreciate thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Your compressor is a variable compressor. It is not designed to turn on and off like a fixed compressor. it uses a sensor to read the pressure hence it is called a sensor. It is not a switch to turn it on and off like a AC system with a fixed compressor. Your AC request should turn the compressor on. The only time it will ever turn off with the AC request is if the pressure is really out of wack. If that is the case you have other problems like to much 134 in your system. Wire it like the 02 Camaro. Your issue is you need to make your control panel give a 12 AC request. Once that is done the rest is all 02 Camaro wiring.
Hi Ghost,

thanks for the 02 wiring diagram.

I looked over the wiring diagrams I have & used & also looked at the one you provided & I believe that is exactly how I have my wiring done.

I've got 12v from the climate control to pin 17 (a/c request) on the PCM (via a relay).

I've got 12v (via a relay) for pin 18 (a/c status & clutch engage)
Pin 43 (clutch relay control) from PCM to above mentioned relay which supplies the clutch (pin 18) w/ the 12v

My issue is that I am not getting any kind of signal from Pin 43 to tell the compressor to kick on when I turn the climate control switch ON.

Even with the variable compressor pin 43 should be sending a signal out to atleast kick the compressor on, no? I understand that since I have a variable compressor it wont cycle on/off regularly like a fixed compressor.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Just to double check, what "AC TYPE FITTED" should be selected for an 02 LS1 F-Body PCM
Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you get your PCM? Who programmed it? If you paid somebody to do this then it is more than likely it was done incorrectly. PM me if you need this done. I can help set you up properly if needed.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

My entire motorset/pcm came from Cleveland pick a part

I flashed my PCM, deleted VATS, etc but I just was asking just to make sure. It shouldnt have changed but I wanted to just make sure everything was in order.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chevyrob
ok guys i have a question for ya im doing a swap lm7 into a 87 iroc im using the 5.3 4l60 harness and pcm from the same truck i plan on having it flashed or whatever but im also thinking about just getting the hp tuner kit for 500 and flash it myself if thats possible i know u can do alot of tuning on those things but i see there is a credit system? i dont know what for but curious if anyone has used these to disable the vats and get it going any suggestions i would appreciate thanks in advance
Yes, you can get hptuners and disable VATS, along with a mountain of other functions. Your inquiries are going to get buried in this thread, so you may consider reposting it in the "Tuning" area of the forum.
The credit system works as such: 1 credit = $50. To gain access to change anything on a pcm = 2 credits; even if you don't touch anything but the vats, it's still $100. But the hptuners usually comes with something like 8 credits, so it won't cost you anything extra until you get into the heavy changes of the pcm, which it doesn't sound like you are doing.
Again, I'd check into the tuning side of this forum for further help. Or hptuners has a forum of their own with a mountain of information also.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilV8
Just to double check, what "AC TYPE FITTED" should be selected for an 02 LS1 F-Body PCM
It should be analog.

I am fairly confident that if you set it to analog cycling it will not send the request even though you can see the pressure sensor reading in HPTuners
Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

So, have you tried manually grounding the clutch relay to make sure it is working?

Quick Reply: ac wiring / pcm question. Pin 43