Sponsored by:

1969 Firebird LS1, which kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Firebird LS1, which kit?

Hello all.

I haven't posted on here in many years. I had a 2001 SS vert for a few years and sold it. My wife has a 69 Firebird (body is rock solid) but the original Pontiac 350 was long gone and replaced with a slug '75 350 2 bbl. Then my friend totaled a 2002 Z28 with 105k miles and a sweet, non-modded LS1 and 4L60E. The insurance company offered to sell it back for 1800 so I jumped on that thing with both feet and here I am back on LS1TECH.

After much research and tear down, I'm at the point where I'm ready to start putting the LS1 and 4L60 into the Bird. I'm looking for parts/kits recommends from all the knowledgeable minds here.

For the motor mount & frame brackets, trans mount & cross member, oil pan & pick up, and a set of 1 3/4 long tubes I'm looking at matched parts from either BRP or Holley. Those parts from BRP are about $70 more than Holley but the Holleys require buying a '72+ clamshell and a trans mount, which aren't much.

So... the prices are almost the same between the two. Any preferences??? I've also thought of hybriding parts between companies to form my own "kit" and save some cash but I REALLY prefer getting parts that are made to perform together.

For wiring, I'm leaning towards a Painless integrated kit (EFI harness + new front, dash & rear harnesses). It's pretty pricey. But, looking at a separate EFI stand alone plus separate harnesses to replace the front, dash & rear units (they are toast), the integrated unit is marginally more expensive and I REALLY prefer parts made to perform together.

Also, I could redo the old EFI harness and attempt to repair the old body harnesses but the chances of me making a mistake or missing a crappy wire/connection are kinda high. Troubleshooting bad wiring is a PITA.

Any thoughts on the Painless unit or other recommendations?

I also need a new radiator (2 pass) and fuel system but that's for another thread.

Thanks so much in advance! Scott
Old 03-09-2016, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome back to the forum. My advice to you is to pick one set-up or the other as the results of creating a bastardized collection of parts from both will provide you with no advantages and plenty of headaches and wasted money. The thought process and methodology used to design both of these systems is completely different and non-compatible.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Launching!

I'm doing an ls/t56 swap in my 68 Camaro now and am using the Holley/hooker stuff. Can't comment on the others but this stuff just works and goes together easy for an idiot like me. The others may work too, but for the price not having to guess or mess with anything was worth it to me.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

I'm also working on a 69 firebird, doing a lq4/4l80. I'm using all parts from holley/hooker, from motor mounts to front accessories to transmission x-member, headers etc... Toddoky's customer service is top notch, has answered many of my questions. No issues so far with all the parts I've installed.

Quick Reply: 1969 Firebird LS1, which kit?