Petro's ERL Superdeck 427 w/ Whipple 2.9L - Page 17 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petro's ERL Superdeck 427 w/ Whipple 2.9L

Old 12-16-2018, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly!!!! I walk slower every morning that I take my kids to school....
Old 12-19-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Got a plate to try out with water/meth injection and using the other spacer as a shear plate. Anywho though it was cool...

Also been working on some more airflow mods...I call it the Dynamic InterCooler Knapsack (TM) cause we all like DICK......but it does rearrange the vectors within the quadrants of the port, most specifically within the upper quadrant along the shear plane of the injection phase.

Upgraded the blower too

Old 12-19-2018, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO View Post
I seriously doubt that those are actually 10.9 grade. The ARP stainless hardware is only a little stronger than 8 grade. That said, I'm sure they are perfectly adequate for what you want to use them.

Andrew
I would actually believe that they are some China kinda-equivalent to metric 10.9 strength... metric 10.9 is pretty easy to come by. However, having that China-made metric 10.9 actually be qualified and within established specifications is an entirely different matter.... but it's probably close enough for our hobby uses, especially for an intake manifold application.

Remember, metric Grade X.X is different than imperial Grade Y. From my recollection:

- Metric 8.8 is about equal to imperial Grade 5
- Metric 10.9 is just about equal to imperial Grade 8
- Metric 12.9 is somewhere at or above imperial Grade 9, with both being used infrequently but Metric 12.9 is usually more easily found
- Metric 5.8 is around imperial Grade 2 or 3, and is usually lacking any identifier/mark and is prettymuch too soft/weak for any useful application where a still-cheap Grade 5 or metric 8.8 could be used instead
Old 12-20-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, I love the detail in this thread! I'm curious where you even buy that (sorry I'll butcher the name) Crekote coating? I remember reading a thread a while back where a guy took a MINT Grand National and did an LSA twin turbo system and used that coating on the custom made charge piping and said that he could touch the pipes minutes after shutting it off. That says something right there!
Old 12-22-2018, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

I’ve had some people ask about what products I’ve used to do this stuff so I made this list

I personally learned about polishing and buffing metal from reading, watching YouTube, and doing it. Patience!!!!

Chicago electric 6” bench top buffer (eye protection and respirator are a MUST!!!)

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...SABEgJor_D_BwE

6” spiral sewn wheel (for buffing) https://www.pjtool.com/extra-thick-s...iABEgI8s_D_BwE

6” cotton fluff (polishing) https://www.google.com/search?q=6”+cotton++buffing+wheel&tbm=isch&ved=2ah UKEwigkYWZr7TfAhUUT1MKHZ6KCXoQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=6”+cotton++buffing+wheel&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3...14280.14882..15529...0.0..0.56.258.5...... 0....1.........30i10.si0s235o4O8&ei=5KoeXKCPL5SezQ KelabQBw&prmd=sivn&biw=375&bih=553#imgrc=Gix8j7e6r oJ-mM

Misc Dialux brand Jewelers rouges (use the chart for rogue type for metal type but experience and practice is best..

Dremel 4000

Flex shaft

Dremel Right angle

Lots of misc dremel bits (they’re cheap)

400 grit 1” /25mm diameter flap sanding wheel for Dremel this one is awesome for tight spaces and very smooth finish (eBay)

Other various size flap wheels and grits (ebay etc)

Misc Dremel felt polishing tips

1200grit EZ Bore Clover brand lapping compound $10 ebay/Amazon

Tungsten disulfide $10 eBay/Amazon

Boron nitride powders $10 ebay/Amazon

Boron paint aerosol $50 ebay/Amazon

boron brushable $30 ebay/Amazon

Molybdenum disulfide $10 what/Amazon

Cerakote products (a little goes a very very long way) (cerakotehightemp.com) they have great promos

Harbor freight blaster 37025 https://m.harborfreight.com/portable...not%20provided

Ebay blast media (120 grit aluminum oxide type?) $50ish 30ish lbs?

Ebay airbrush kit model: Masters ABD Kit-3ab-20 $99ish or less

Central pneumatic 61454 air compressor $159?

3M 07193 paint respirator $20

I would suggest another full face respirator for use with the blasting and wearing coveralls...I did

Nitrile gloves

Paper towels

Acetone

Squirt bottles

Tape

Ingenuity

0000 steel wool

Jewelers loupe 40-60x

old blue jeans

tiny little file set

chamfer bits

Misc flex hones

Manley 40174 valvespring chamfer bit (pac racing makes a cool one as well)

Ummm probably forgetting something

Old 12-27-2018, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Another ls3 timing chain damper failure

Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Finally got to play around with a Christmas gift I’m very excited about

Old 12-28-2018, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

IR camera. Cool. They carried FLIR?
Old 12-28-2018, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

FLIR PRO for IOS

little better than the PRO LT

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 12-30-2018 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Random name Ted inserted thanks to Apple
Old 12-30-2018, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

The pics are blurry because I used my wife’s phone and then texted them and then screenshot them.

LSX B8 piston (note uneven temperature distribution)

My coated piston (more even distribution)

Old 12-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Launching!

So what actually was this panty thing??
Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its a panty liner for something scary. LOL.

Petro,
when you gonna start assem. this beast?
Old 01-01-2019, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

The panty liner is secret squirrel at least until someone figures it out .....

I broke my shoulder earlier this year (setting off a acute gall bladder attack) and finally went to the doc to get it checked out after 2.5 months of pretty good pain...anyways found out it was broke had surgery on it.... then I knocked my self out when I passed out and slammed my head on the edge of the tub for no reason while my wife was removing the bandage from my shoulder. This time was wicked, I was out for a full minute my wife said and I was having a seizure from it. When I came to I didn’t know who I was who she was or where I was.(surgery and head injury set off another acute gall bladder attack) (I’ve lost 35lbs in like 2 weeks of solid mass and I thought I was legit dying) So here I sit with 4 holes in my gut and arm in a sling....nothing to do but tinker and be thankful to be alive...but yeah I still can’t do much and I’m in no rush so unsure of when I’ll be done. I don’t have a set date to complete it.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ouch. Get well soon bud !!!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

YOU get well FIRST Petro! The car can wait....
Old 01-07-2019, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys I appreciate it

Oil Pump DICK...Direct Injecting Capillary Kicker ...uses what would otherwise be wasted energy and turns it into a extra pump and/or siphon.....thanks Schumann

Old 01-08-2019, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky View Post
Thanks for the read. I'm going to risk it and see what happens though. People have their valvesprings coated all the time and you have etch them to coat them. Springs do see tons of heat and friction with double springs. I'm hoping to decrease friction and keep them cooler. They stay a lot cooler with a spring oiler like Granatelli has for LS engines.

Here's a good read on the study of oil aeration that I found the other day

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/027...0cfe32e5c4.pdf

Didnt read all the way through this huge thread, but saw the comments about reducing spring friction.

Although thats true, you also reduce damping that dual springs provide for the mechanical system (valvetrain). This improves valvetrain stability and results in less valve bounce (better control).
Old 01-08-2019, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Them touching each other is what cancels the oscillating/bouncing/frequencies not the friction between them but thanks. That’s one of the reasons I chamfered the tips and coated the retainers/seats so that the spring can operate as designed and not bind. And since compression springs rotate during cycling I developed some spring rotators to help keep the valves cooler and seal better as well vs stopping them from doing so. Im also using the same principle for a spring rotator inside the oil pump to prevent binding.

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 01-08-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Been trying to figure out how to allow the oil pump spring to rotate freely as it cycles and came up with .010” thick ptfe homemade shims. If you’ve ever changed springs in one of these pumps then you know how much they bind and chatter.....damaging the spring, causing it to have different rates, and creating metal shavings.

I have been busy designing a better chain dampener and have a couple of different hydraulic versions I’ve been tinkering with. I was looking up some other stuff and ran across this image..sb4 Dohc ls7 with a really nice chain dampener. It caught my eye instantly. I know I know dohc etc etc but still a nicer dampener

Last edited by Petraszewsky; 01-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Petro's ERL Superdeck 427 w/ Whipple 2.9L

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: