Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Need Help) LS7/LT1 in Cayman

Hi guys

Background

i used to drive a c6 while studied in U.S few years ago
when i came back to my country i bought a used 987.1 Cayman S and blown the engine on the 3rd trackday
my option was originally bought a used engine
but that could be a potential time bomb wait for boom again

my bolt on, Cammed C6 LS3 i miss her so much

My Cayman S 987.1 (current car)

after cayman engine blow
so i want to do a LS swap, i miss the easy reliability on my C6 so much
did some research, many people using the Renegade kit, but they suggest me swap the 987.1 cayman transmission for a 986 boxter S transmission because it has thicker "driveshaft?" for tolerance higher input for LS

Engine choice

even though the crate LS3 480 is only $200 expensive than crate 430HP LS3
i still decide using the standard 430hp LS3 engine for low torque protection
for stock Cayman S 987.1, the transmission is only design to match 260lb*ft engine, i know three LS3 480 swap cayman owner haven`t blow their transmission yet, but everything has a limit, when the time came, it will be a huge bill for me

LT1? LS7?
beside that i`m too afraid the LS3 lack of the dry sump system
I would blow my motor and track when pulling high G

after talked a local shop who done a few LS swap on the forum
they said they could able tune down the torque, because they have to do custom tune anywhere because the intake and exhaust airflow change so much , no way to use stock tune

i also decide to choose LS7 or LT1 instead LS3 because these two has dry sump ( car will be 40% DD, 40%track 20% drag ,
also used LS7 LS3 is about $8000 the same as the new LS3 crate ,

but they strongly decide me that i should go for LT1 instead of LS7 because is easier to tune, he also said LS7 / LS3 Gen4 is hard to use one tune during a whole year, also the Direct Injection LT1 is alot easier to work with
this company has tune out of the box for LT1, so i`m wonder if they just want to use my car to market the Gen V market..

question

so here come my question
1. how many torque am i able to tune down ? i really worry the low end torque of the LS7 and LT1 will kill my transmission on track day

2.should i go LS7 or LT1? which one is more easier to work with
Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 34bos
because they have to do custom tune anywhere because the intake and exhaust airflow change so much , no way to use stock tune
I use a stock 08 Corvette ECU with a crate LS3 -- different intake/exhaust set up --- drives like a stock Corvette. Drivability perfect, 20 mpg taking it easy around town, 25-26 on the highway. I disagree with their assessment that the intake and exhaust airflow is going to drastically change so they have to tune anyway. Sounds like they WANT to tune anyway.

You indicate you're worried about torque affecting transaxle life -- both the LS7 and the LT1 produce MORE torque than the LS3 - so they're going to be potentially more of a problem. LOTS of oil pan options with performance baffling to solve high-g cornering issues with the LS3 wet sump. For easy reliability and performance I'd keep it simple and stock.

Quick Reply: (Need Help) LS7/LT1 in Cayman