Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX-7 LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to get a few things done this weekend. Got ptv clearance verified one final time, reinstalled valve springs, installed pushrods/torqued down rocker arms, replaced gasket/torqued down valley cover, new knock sensor harness, replaced intake gaskets...the long block is finally ready. I'm shooting for having the hinson swap kit installed by next weekend, maybe get the clutch and fly wheel installed. More pics to come soon
Attached Thumbnails RX-7 LSX Swap-img_2310.jpg  
Old 07-18-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It most definitely is going to be fun, friend has an ls2 rx7 making around 450rwhp, raced my ls1 240 making 490 rwhp and it was the best racing since we're both clawing for traction, 4.08 for the 240 not sure what the rx7 has but I know its close to a 4.08 gears and both running a t56 works great on the drag strip but a smoke show on the street, I usually launch in 2nd on the street, unless I have my slicks on.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
It most definitely is going to be fun, friend has an ls2 rx7 making around 450rwhp, raced my ls1 240 making 490 rwhp and it was the best racing since we're both clawing for traction, 4.08 for the 240 not sure what the rx7 has but I know its close to a 4.08 gears and both running a t56 works great on the drag strip but a smoke show on the street, I usually launch in 2nd on the street, unless I have my slicks on.
Yeah, traction is definitely a concern. Hopefully I can fit some fatter tires under this thing. Right now Im just putting one foot in front of the other, trying to get it on the road by fall.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Got the kit installed today, this weekend Im going to install the clutch/flywheel. Long block is ready to drop. More to come this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails RX-7 LSX Swap-image1.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

What exhaust manifolds are you using on it? Personally, I would suggest JTR headers (JagsThatRun). You will have to clearance the lower firewall, but I think you run into that with any of the aftermarket longtubes. Also are you using manual or power steering?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sube
What exhaust manifolds are you using on it? Personally, I would suggest JTR headers (JagsThatRun). You will have to clearance the lower firewall, but I think you run into that with any of the aftermarket longtubes. Also are you using manual or power steering?

I just recently got my hands on a set of JTR headers used at a good price. I'm retaining the factory steering rack; I was going to depower it, but chose not to when finishing up the swap kit. My friend has a manual rack, but he wants too much for it.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

You might already know this but then again you might not. If you are using F-body accessories, you can piece together the the lower part of the f-body power steering hose on the high pressure side to the hose from the RX7 right where it attaches to power steering rack. The hard line needs to be cut and reflared. This thread talks about it more http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=493.0.html

The low pressure side is super easy.

Also get yourself a pressure restrictor from TurnOne Steering.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Should be fun!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:19 AM
Launching!

So Im bringing this back from the dead for a much needed update:

Everything is in the car, motor/accessories and trans. Cam has been installed, clutch installed, shifter, etc. After some grinding and cutting I managed to get the radiator mounted and the harness/computer ran into the cabin (passenger side kick panel).

We have been trying to make sense of wiring this damned thing into the chassis, and i think we are running into ground issues. I am installing a switch panel and redoing everything (we had tried to utilize the factory mazda harnesses running to the factory mazda ecu for 12v switched/constant/fuel pump sources). Prior to redoing the wiring, it would crank but never fire. It did not have spark, and we were losing power to the PCM when i cranked the motor. I will try and post some pictures this week.

This is now officially 13 months in the making, and im ready to hear this thing fire up.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Quick Reply: RX-7 LSX Swap