Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99-04 Mustang swap w/longtubes, stock kmember

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-04 Mustang swap w/longtubes, stock kmember

Hi guys, I have been searching and searching to find answers and cant really find a definite one.

I have a 99 mustang v6 with a blown engine I want to ls swap. Just looking to do a n/a build. I really want to keep the stock kmember and use longtubes. Of course Im looking for a pretty much bolt in affair with minimal modification to the headers. I know everyone with say to us a swap kmember for better clearance but I prefer not too.

Basically I have been searching to see if anyone has swapped a stock 5.0 kmember into a new edge, and used the BRP mounts and used BRP/ Hedman foxbody ls swap headers. Essentially the new edge is fox platform with a facelift. I already have the stock 5.0 kmember from my other car just sitting around. Any help or info would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The steering shaft is in a different spot on the SN variants of the Fox chassis. The headers may fit or may not fit, it depends on the header and where you put the engine. You will have to try it. People typically aren't willing to try and that is why they buy the whole k member kit.

The Hedman swap headers are the only ones I know of which are supposed to fit a stock k member. Frankly though, so few people have used them there is not much info out there, which you already determined.

Several people seem to have used the Hedman 1.75" mid length swap headers on stock k members. Maybe search around for those.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

it would just be bad planning to go out of your way to find things that would work with the stock K member. IMO you'll regret it some. just get an aftermarket K member, then you can use all the headers out there including 1-7/8" variety that have advantages, use your stock steering rack, some even use stock control arms but you get so many less headaches attempting to get everything to fit when you have one, oil pans and all. I bought mine (QA1) off CL from someone that never got around to installing it, they're out there.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Teching In

One of main reason I was trying to stay with the stock kmember is some the changes the tubular kmembers have, then the snowball of parts to make it work. Did the teamz kmember on my 95 w/sbf. They dropped the rack down an inch, the steering shaft wouldn't work, had to buy a bumpsteer kit, had to use coilovers and caster camber plates. I'd like to just try to keep the front end the way it was from the factory, stupid I know.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

AJE K memeber is cheap and works will all the stock parts.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

IMO, the UPR set up is good quality for a very good price, fits wel, allows all the use of all the headers, and uses Mustang 4.6 motor mounts.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

as said above, just use an aftermarket k member. At the shop tried to fit a few sets that we have and just couldn't do it. Steering shaft being the biggest obstacle. shorty's and mid length might work but why? if you do decide there are a couple of things that can be done but depends on what mounts and headers.

Quick Reply: 99-04 Mustang swap w/longtubes, stock kmember