Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Crank sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Crank sensor question

We are building a LS Crate twin turbo engine and having issues with crank trigger setup, the engine has a 60-2 wheel inside, but we are using the black crank sensor, ive been searching around and usually this will not work. But were using aftermarket Link G4 Thunder system so shouldnt it work anyway? Or is the black sensor simple to "slow" to pick up a good signal with the 60-2 wheel?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I can tell you is, the black (24x) sensor runs on 12v and the gray (58x) runs on 5v. The Holley EFI units can be setup for either sensor, never heard of your system...
Old 04-18-2016, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

The simple solution is to use the 58x style grey sensor. I'm fairly certain part of the issue besides the voltage requirements being different is the sensors are physically different lengths from what I remember. This length is critical for the sensor to read properly. I have one of each in my garage, pulling the 58x sensor would be a huge pain but I could do so if absolutely necessary to verify.

For reference to anyone confused by the terminology, the term 60-2 (60 minus 2 or 60 less 2) is in reference to a gear that has 58 teeth on a 60 tooth pattern with a void where two consecutive teeth would be for a rotational location reference to the ECM. In common LS speak, it's 58x.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by S10xGN
All I can tell you is, the black (24x) sensor runs on 12v and the gray (58x) runs on 5v. The Holley EFI units can be setup for either sensor, never heard of your system...

Okay, so on Holley its possible to use the black sensor with the 58x wheel?

No need to pull it out, gonna try find someone close that has a grey sensor so i can try with it
Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylinekrille
Okay, so on Holley its possible to use the black sensor with the 58x wheel?

No need to pull it out, gonna try find someone close that has a grey sensor so i can try with it
That I don't know for sure. The Holley EFI can be set up to use either wheel, not sure if the sensor needs to be matched to the wheel or not. From watching threads on the Holley forum, it appears that the voltage requirements are not overly specific. Seems some guys over there are running 12v sensors on 5v and 5v sensors on 12v w/o issues...

Quick Reply: LS Crank sensor question