Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Z-Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro Z-Bar

I'm hoping to keep my mechanical linkage, though of course it will require some fabrication because the LS is not the same width as a small block or bigblock. I have the SDPC bell-housing mounted bracket with the ball stud.

However, I'm not sure whether I should start with my existing big block Z-bar or if it will be too narrow, and I need to start with a small block bar.

Anyone done it and happen to know?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

I did this with my LS swap into a 69 firebird. It will take some trial and error, and a lot of patience, but you can get it to work nicely.

I think that you will have to shorten the BBC z-bar by about 2" (almost exactly IIRC). This is the easy part. Use some other tube or material to mock up where the z-bar will go and then model the real one after it. I cut mine in the middle and took some steel tubing and made a 1" sheath to go over the cut and then welded it all together. More area for welding this way.

The hard part is the adapter plate. This depends on where your engine sits. Since you have the bracket already, this is pretty much done for you I guess. I made 1" setback plates so that the transmission was in the stock location. The 621 bellhousing I used came with a threaded location for the pivot ball. I had to make a plate (use 1/4" at least) that moved it about 1.75" forward and 3/8" up (don't quote me here). It still isn't perfect but it works pretty good. At some point I'll be re-making that plate for a perfect fit.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Teching In

When it came time to mount the frame side portion did you have to pull the fenders or were you able to work with them in place?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you see if either og the SDparts LS Z bar brackets lined up with your frame mount?
BTW, I used the bellhousing Z bar boss on my Olds and just relocated the frame mount. It was just bolted down.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Teching In

The SDPC bracket looks like it wraps around to about the same part on the block where the boss was drilled (by SDPC 12 years ago!) in the 502. On the frame side it lands where it lands, but fore-aft alignment should be the same if the bracket lines up as I think it does.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See attached pic of the mechanical linkage I did for my 73. Worked great. 3/8"rod ends.
Attached Thumbnails Camaro Z-Bar-painted-73-camaro-ground-one.jpg  
Old 04-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks! Why'd you need the rod ends rather than the stock linkage pieces? Is it because it's now skewed at an angle but originally was a straight shot, or what necessitated changing stuff that high up?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have any of the original linkage. Rod ends allow for more misalignment. No plastic bushings to wear out and get sloppy. Left and right hand threads make for easy adjustment.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dave Plummer
When it came time to mount the frame side portion did you have to pull the fenders or were you able to work with them in place?
Mine was already in place, so I didn't need to work with that side. I can image it would be pretty tough, but I don't think you would need to pull a fender.

Quick Reply: Camaro Z-Bar