Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple IS300 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use the driveshaft from Dedicated Motorsports with the T-56 Magnum or are you having to get a custom one made?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bluebird71
Did you use the driveshaft from Dedicated Motorsports with the T-56 Magnum or are you having to get a custom one made?
I had my stock one modified. Kinda wish I just went with the aluminum aftermarket though. His wouldn't work because they tailhousing on the magnum is different than the 4th gen f-body t56.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by satoman44
I had my stock one modified. Kinda wish I just went with the aluminum aftermarket though. His wouldn't work because they tailhousing on the magnum is different than the 4th gen f-body t56.
why did you choose the magnum tail housing over the f body tail housing? It seems from the pictures that the f body tail puts the shifter location further back so you don't have to chop up the stock shifter hole a lot. Not really sure if the shifter hole location is different from auto to 5 spd is300's though.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by is3LsX
why did you choose the magnum tail housing over the f body tail housing? It seems from the pictures that the f body tail puts the shifter location further back so you don't have to chop up the stock shifter hole a lot. Not really sure if the shifter hole location is different from auto to 5 spd is300's though.
I didn't choose one over the other, I bought a T56 Magnum so that's what I have.

As an update to this thread, I've been building my exhaust for the past 2 weeks (only work on the car one day a week). I expect to finish it up this weekend and can attempt to start it up again.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Cool build! I agree with the other comment, very well thought out and high quality parts used. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Any updates for us? Coming along very nicely!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rouseyss
Any updates for us? Coming along very nicely!
I was planning on getting the exhaust finished up but unfortunately my local airgas ran out of tri-mix gas (my exhaust is stainless) so I can't really do much.

I started up the car a couple months ago, I'll have to upload the video when I have time. It fired up no problem, but it slowly started to die over the course of 30 seconds. This is with no O2's currently hooked up (exhaust isn't finished). I'm going to try and fire it again today to see what the fuel pressure is like. The way it slowly died made it seem like a fuel pressure issue. I'm open to hear what others think I should be testing along with the fuel pressure. When I pulled codes, if I remember correctly, I had the P1336 code which seems to happen for some swaps.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:30 AM
Teching In

Short update!

Unfortunately my local Airgas was out of gas so I couldn't finish welding up my exhaust. Decided to troubleshoot my engine dying issue. Engine would start up strong then suddenly start losing fuel pressure and die. Tested the fuel pump and it was getting 12V. Noticed upon priming that it sounded like the pump was sucking air. I just filled up gas so I thought that was weird. Ended up pulling the pump and it was empty on the driver side. Passenger side was full of fuel. Found out I plumbed the siphon jet incorrectly. Fixed that so now it should be pulling fuel from the passenger side. Ran the engine for a few minutes and no issues except I need to tighten up vac lines and steam vents. Once I finish my exhaust, I can hook up my O2's and run in closed loop.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Awesome man, glad to see you continuing your build and got it started! Hope to see you driving it soon!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Pretty impressive work for someone who had never pulled an engine before! Nicely done!

What size wheels/tires are you running, and what can those cars fit in the rear? (Just thinking you might be wanting more tread out back with the V8.)

I was stationed at PH in the early 2000s back when HRP was still open. I used to auto-x out there, hit the drag strip occasionally, and did a couple track days. The track closed basically right as I was leaving the island; I really felt bad for all the automotive enthusiasts.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Pretty impressive work for someone who had never pulled an engine before! Nicely done!

What size wheels/tires are you running, and what can those cars fit in the rear? (Just thinking you might be wanting more tread out back with the V8.)

I was stationed at PH in the early 2000s back when HRP was still open. I used to auto-x out there, hit the drag strip occasionally, and did a couple track days. The track closed basically right as I was leaving the island; I really felt bad for all the automotive enthusiasts.
Thanks man! I actually started getting heavily into driving when HRP was shutting down so I never got to experience drag racing and autox out there. We are now at Aloha Stadium and I've been regularly doing it for about 10 years now.

My current wheels are 17x7.5 with a 225/45 tire (stock is 215/45). I have a set of 17x9's on the side and will stick with the 225's on those. If I feel I need to go wider, I can go up to 245's pretty safely. Anything larger and I will need to start pulling fenders which I don't want to do. Since you've been on island, I'm sure you've heard about recon? My permit currently lists the 225/45's so I will try stick with those if I can. I can also change the tire compound if needed. All the extreme performance tires are amazing these days.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Swapper
i didnt put a/c on it. only issue im having so far is trying to make the factory coolant temp gauge work. i dont have the factory ecu in anymore. besides that its pretty straight forward.

mine is an auto though.
did you run like a 4l60 or what?
Old 08-07-2020, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ Hudson
did you run like a 4l60 or what?
He's running a T-56. Pics of the clutch work and trans install in the thread.

Old thread, but worth an update on a pretty cool project. Hopefully the OP will chime in.

Quick Reply: Simple IS300 LS1 Swap