Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not quite a conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not quite a conversion...

Hey guys this is my first post other than introduction and I assumed this would be the proper place for my question.

I'm building a car from scratch and got a 4.8 lr4 from a guy for $250 running. He said it was a junkyard motor that he had put in his Silverado when his motor went out but has now upgraded to a 6.0. He couldn't remember what it came out of other than a truck and didn't know the mileage but says he's put about 30k on it. Do you think a complete tear down and rebuild is nessesary or are there just a few things I could look over?

If it runs fine stock I'm ok with that because I will be shooting for around 1500 lbs for my car so stock performance "should" be enough for a while
Old 05-26-2016, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I would do a leak down and compression test. You can also check bearings for wear. These will give you a good idea of the condition the motor is in.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do. I know they're pretty durable motors and last a while as long as maintenance is kept up on them. Got a bunch of friends with 5.3s in trucks and SUVs running fine well over 200k miles. Now I just gotta keep an eye out for a decent priced t56 and work on hacking up the harness for this motor. I found some diagrams and instructions on this forum and it doesn't seem bad just tedious and time consuming

Quick Reply: Not quite a conversion...