Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L83 6L90 swap into 2004 suburban

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L83 6L90 swap into 2004 suburban

hey people. Hoping for some input on this swap. I found a guy here in Atlanta selling two l83 6l90? Combos with low miles for $5k. Going by eBay prices, that is a deal. So I'm wondering about the specifics of swapping the engine and trans into my burban.

1. Tell me about the "low pressure" in-tank pump. Can I use the stock suburban pump and pressure setting to feed the new L83 high pressure pump? Or will I have to swap in a new one controlled by the fuel pump driver module? Does the fuel pressure need to vary?
2. Can I use the original suburban fly by wire pedal or will I have to use the new one? If anyone can provide a link to a pinout of that circuit for both old and new systems, that would be great.
3. I know it's a stretch but I'm wondering if I can somehow use the original instrument cluster with the new engine? Pinouts and diagrams would be great for this too.
4. Also wondering if I get the driveshaft from the L83/6l90 what is the best way to make that work on the suburban.

Please don't tell me to save my energy/$ and just go by a new suburban. I hate that crap. If I wanted to do that I wouldn't be asking these questions. oh and please don't reply with some BS barrage of condescending questions just so you can hit 20k posts. I hate that crap too. If you need me to clarify something before you give me legit answer to MY questions, ask away.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a ZL1 pump controlled by the fuel pump driver module for my L83 swap for my el camino.
This is what it says on my Chevy Performance Engine Controller instructions
A pump with excessive capacity may result in cavitation at low flow due to the pump repeatedly stopping and starting instead of
controlling to a speed/pressure. Alternatively, a fuel system operating at a fixed 72 psi (500 kPa) could be used and a fuel pump
relay may be triggered by the Green/Gray wire in cavity 2 of the Fuel Pump Power Module (FPPM). Note that excessive fuel
heating and potential startability/drivability issues may result from a constant high pressure.

Not sure about the pedal. Can you get the pedal from a donor Silverado that came with that engine?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Default Engine ID?

Thanks for that info. I will see if he can just sell me the whole tank with the Fuel pump driver module. Although I'm not even sure where that is or if it's integrated into ECM or what.

So, now I'm going to pick up one of the engines tonight and i'm wondering if there is a way to find out the history of the engine. I'm suspicious that these engines are warranty cores or something like this.

I don't think they stamp the VIN directly on the engines, is there any other way to get the history?

Anyone familiar with these engines? Is there some failure that I can check for before i buy it?
Old 06-20-2016, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tt_tony
Thanks for that info. I will see if he can just sell me the whole tank with the Fuel pump driver module. Although I'm not even sure where that is or if it's integrated into ECM or what.

So, now I'm going to pick up one of the engines tonight and i'm wondering if there is a way to find out the history of the engine. I'm suspicious that these engines are warranty cores or something like this.

I don't think they stamp the VIN directly on the engines, is there any other way to get the history?

Anyone familiar with these engines? Is there some failure that I can check for before i buy it?
The Fuel Pump Driver Module is separate and is not part of the ECM. My L83 is sitting in the shop waiting to get installed so I can't tell you off hand if the VIN is stamped on it.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Teching In

The VIN is stamped on the deck, LHS. it's only the last 8 i think.

I called the Local GM dealer and he was able to give me all of the info on the truck (model, year, delivery date, delivery address, service history)

Quick Reply: L83 6L90 swap into 2004 suburban