Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Alternator Help Quick !

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need Alternator Help Quick !

Alternator took a crap... replaced it, but still not charging. Need to get it fixed quick as I am leaving on Tuesday for a trip with it !?

It is a 99' LS1 Camaro harness and PCM/ECM.. converted harness and has been no problems since it was swapped..

So it has one wire to the plug on the alternator. I get No voltage there.? It should be controlled by the PCM and giving voltage to activated the Alternator.. !?!

Going to see if I can check voltage at the PCM Red #15 (Alternator Turn on pin).

Any suggestion on what the issue might be. I have checked all of the easy and quick areas to check.. but still looking and hopefully someone might hit on a good suggestion.

Just need some good solid replies. Be back on here soon to check replies..

thanks
BC
Old 08-01-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Another question

What condition causes the PCM to send a voltage signal to pin 15 on C2 to activate the Alternator ?

Or what would cause it not to send voltage to pin 15 C2. ?

Goong to head back and tear into the console to get to the PCM snd harness connector soon.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well after Shaking and tugging, I got around to checking the PCM C2/15 pin, I had voltage there!. I then when back to check the Alternator connector.. On disconnecting it from the Alternator, the wire broke just above the connector.

Not sure if it was the cause, but the wire where it was broken had voltage.. so.. I will have to will to pick up a new pig tail tomorrow and wire it up to see if it fixes the problem..

Might also take the New Alternator back off and take it over to the local Autozone to see if it checks out ok or not. But it is no fund as the Sway bar, PS Pump and Steering box all get in the way.

Time is limited as I have to work tomorrow, which will leave me little time to fix it or chase it down some more.

I guess if it doesn't get fixed, Plan "B" is to take the Nova to Reno for Hot August Nights.. but it will not be as nice of a trip.. no AC, lowered and stiff suspension... flat bench seats.. Oh well..

BC
Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok.. replaced the connector and wire.. I am good !.. 13.8+ volts.. this all started when my Alternator took a crap and I got worried I was not going to make my trip with the Chevelle to Reno for Hot August Nights.. Oh well.. glad it happened here and not on the road.

If anyone is in Reno.. cya there..

BC
Old 08-03-2016, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

I am guessing that you had a bad crimp on the pigtail or the wire that was used on the pigtail was junk. Those pigtails are nothing magical and use MetriPack 150 terminals. Get yourself a handful and a proper crimping tool. All this is available from Waytek and Mouser, and other sources...

Andrew
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, it was a break in the wire about 1" above the connector. May have broken it from removing the connector a few times over the year.. felt a soft spot and I tugged on the connector a bit and the wire broke off completely at the soft spot in the wire.

I have a crimper and MetriPack 150 connectors. I get them from work. It is fixed now.. thanks for the reply.

BC

Quick Reply: Need Alternator Help Quick !