Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering LY6/6L90 into CJ7 - have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Considering LY6/6L90 into CJ7 - have some questions

I have an 81 CJ7 with a modified 258 6 cylinder/NV4500/Dana 300. I have wanted to do an V8 swap of some sort for a while. I was typically planning on a 5.3. The opportunity has come up to purchase a LY6. I can also get the 2WD 6L90 that is in the truck as well. It's coming out of a 2500HD.

The CJ7 being short has driveline angle problems. With the NV4500 I am about at my limit of how long the drivetrain can be. I can mate the NV4500 to the LY6, but the 6L90 is an attractive option.

I have been searching and can find general info. The part I am having trouble finding is the length of an LY6 from the front accessory to the back of the block or even from the front of the fan to the back of the block. I have not been able to find much on the dimensions of the 6L90 either.

Also, is there an aftermarket shifter for the 6L90 that allows use of tap shift other than the Speartech unit?

Considering it is coming from a wrecked truck, I am trying to think through everything I will need to make sure I get from the donor.

Quick Reply: Considering LY6/6L90 into CJ7 - have some questions