Sponsored by:

New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I was telling Shane this back in 2004. Only took 12 years...lol

I also had talks with the folks from Laminova at the 2004 PRI show, because I wanted to develop an intake using the Laminova cores. I hope something like this will happen as well.

Andrew
Yeah, I've made some product suggestions I would have liked to have seen materialize into actual products over the 6 years I've been here that never have, but that's the way it goes. I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of making those decisions as the list of possible new products is a mile long.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yeah, I've made some product suggestions I would have liked to have seen materialize into actual products over the 6 years I've been here that never have, but that's the way it goes. I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of making those decisions as the list of possible new products is a mile long.
Most companies use the "shoot from the hip" method to choose future projects. Holley is not much different....

Andrew
Old 12-04-2016, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Really liking the turbo setup.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm making good progress with the prototyping of the long-tube headers on the Fox-body swap project and expect to have the basic design done by next Tuesday.

A nice benefit to basing the swap on the Ford 302 SB K-member and the engine brackets I designed to work with the 4th-gen F-body mounts is the extra room that is created for header tube routing...you can see in this photo that I was able to get all four tubes on the driver side header in-between the steering shaft and the engine; none had to be routed around the shaft.

This means you will not have the remove the steering shaft to install the header. That's a feature I'm sure many users will like. You can also install the headers with the stock steering shaft and rag joint coupler, which adds to the overall cost savings of the swap.

Last edited by Toddoky; 12-07-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I had a productive week and was able to finish the long-tube header prototyping and will be starting on transmission crossmember prototyping next week. I'll leave you with these photos while I go grab a six-pack of beer and go home and celebrate...

Old 12-19-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's the ugly duckling physical prototypes off the car...they have been digitized and brought into our CAD program to fine-tune the geometry and design the welding fixtures as well. Tomorrow begins the mock-up of transmission crossmembers.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I finished the crude 4L80 installation mock-up this afternoon and the fitment wasn't as bad as I expected it was going to be. Anyone doing this transmission install will merely have to provide clearance for the electrical connector on the left side of the case (hammer), and for the cooler lines on the right side of the case (heat, hammer and/or cutting/welding).
Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been plugging away on various things related to this application and thought I'd dump some info in here that may be useful to some of you following that are wanting to use the OE truck intake and accessory drive with the stock hood. I use of the Hooker engine brackets allow the truck intake to clear the hood with some shaving/trimming and I was able to get the small truck alternator to clear by chamfering the top case retention screw boss. Due to production tolerances between cars, you may or may not be able to get your alternator to clear the hood to the same degree.

Last edited by Toddoky; 01-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to now add some alternative accessory drive options, the first of which is the existing Holley top-mount alternator/PS pump bracket spaced out to the truck alignment. This would work fine with the stock hood and allow you to run the small or large truck alternator, as long as you relocate your battery to the trunk.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finished the crude 4L80 installation mock-up this afternoon and the fitment wasn't as bad as I expected it was going to be. Anyone doing this transmission install will merely have to provide clearance for the electrical connector on the left side of the case (hammer), and for the cooler lines on the right side of the case (heat, hammer and/or cutting/welding).
Did you by any chance check the headers using one of your QuickTime Tremec belhousings part# RM-6037? I'm currently running one on my car and ran into problems with the Hedman mid-length headers. The drivers side runs right next to the clutch cable causing melting problems.

You can see here where the hole where the clutch cable passes through touches the header

Name:  4C69BB64-495C-4ABE-996C-E33F3569C1CA_zpsrdqhsqey.jpg
Views: 5363
Size:  1.59 MB

Name:  EDFF161D-DC12-4A98-BE44-61E0095C306F_zpsy4j9bjyd.jpg
Views: 5360
Size:  1.48 MB
Old 01-18-2017, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey TxFireman1972, I have the T56 in the car with the Quicktime bell now to prototype the trans crossmember and Hooker turbo manifold crossover tube for that set-up and will be loading the long-tubes on the engine for pictures by the end of the week. I'll be sure to post up the clearance in that area for you.

I just realized based on the RM-6037 part number that you are probably using a TKO transmission...I will be fitting that trans as well during this project, but I won't be able to get to it this week...probably next week however.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Todd,

Are there any dimensional drawing for the turbo log that can be posted to the product website, just like there are for the Hooker manifolds? I know they aren't your baby, but you can whisper in the right ear...

Andrew
Old 01-18-2017, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey TxFireman1972, I have the T56 in the car with the Quicktime bell now to prototype the trans crossmember and Hooker turbo manifold crossover tube for that set-up and will be loading the long-tubes on the engine for pictures by the end of the week. I'll be sure to post up the clearance in that area for you.

I just realized based on the RM-6037 part number that you are probably using a TKO transmission...I will be fitting that trans as well during this project, but I won't be able to get to it this week...probably next week however.
Correct, I'm running a TKO with a clutch cable.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd,

Are there any dimensional drawing for the turbo log that can be posted to the product website, just like there are for the Hooker manifolds? I know they aren't your baby, but you can whisper in the right ear...

Andrew
I will forward the request.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I've finished test fitting a few more components this morning and here's the results...

MSD Air Force intake manifold- no fitment issues

Holley Hi-Ram and mid-rise intake manifolds- do not fit with the stock hood but both the rear of both of them clear the firewall

New Holley low-mount (F-body-style) alternator/PS pump accessory drive bracket- no clearance issues anywhere and can be installed at the F-body or truck offsets. This set-up is available and on the shelf now.

New Holley low-mount Sanden SD7B10 A/C compressor bracket- installs on the engine at the Corvette, F-body or truck offsets when using the Hooker Fox-body engine swap brackets. The anti-sway bar frame brackets will need to be shimmed away from the frame by a minimum of 3/4" to be compatible with the A/C compressor/bracket.

a couple of images for you depicting the new Holley low-mount A/C compressor bracket and low-mount alternator accessory drive brackets installed...

Old 01-19-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I had access to one of the new Holley Sniper EFI Race Series "street" fabricated manifolds as so I threw it on the engine to check stock hood clearance...no problems with room to spare.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Update- 2/1/17

I've been working on some additional products that will be released as part of the entire LS swap system for the Fox-body Mustang and thought I'd give you a peek at what I've been working on.

Many of you are aware of the Hooker turbo exhaust manifold that are coming out and I've spent the last week prototyping crossover tubes for them that are specifically designed to fit these cars with a 4L60-4L70, 4L80, TH350, TH400, Powerglide, T56 or TKO transmission.

After finishing those up, I moved to the front side of the engine to prototype a turbine inlet tube and a support bracket that will engine-mount a turbo (S475 in this case) in these cars and also other cars that will be confirmed throughout this year.

This will be helpful to those that want to build a turbo set-up that don't want to deal with designing/building a mount that attaches the turbo to the car body/frame.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Didn't see that coming. What's the configuration of the driver's side manifold?

Will there be multiple options for turbo placement? I sort of figured you would focus on putting the turbo on the passenger side.

Andrew
Old 02-01-2017, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Didn't see that coming. What's the configuration of the driver's side manifold?

Will there be multiple options for turbo placement? I sort of figured you would focus on putting the turbo on the passenger side.

Andrew
Hey Andrew. The availability of turbo-related products will grow over time as vehicles get cycled through for mock-up work and test fitting.

As far as the Fox-body application is concerned, this turbo location will be the only one available off-the-shelf from us as it's the only location that provides the ability to engine-mount the turbo and also run an A/C compressor on top of the passenger side cylinder head.

Since these parts will all be available as separate components, those that want to mount their turbo on the passenger side can buy the manifolds and rear crossover tube only from Hooker and fabricate their own turbine inlet tube and mounting bracket(s).

The driver side exhaust manifold looks just like the existing Hooker cast iron LS manifold with a V-band flange machined into its outlet, which is connected to the passenger side manifold via the crossover tubes that will be available.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I forgot to add earlier that all these turbo components will fit under the stock hood.

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread