Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

OK guys, I received the fabricated parts this morning that allowed me to assemble the pre-production sample of the second transmission crossmember for the Fox body LS swap application. Here's a few photos of the crossmember being used in a Powerglide installation...I will be posting up photos of the crossmember being used in both TH350 and TKO transmission installations tomorrow after I finish the fitment validation of each.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Back at it this morning...crossmember validation with TH350 transmission.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

And the TKO just in time for lunch...

Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

This is excellent stuff.

Will the exhaust be available as turn-downs only? Or will there be a configuration like the earlier pic that shows larger mufflers out the back?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
This is excellent stuff.

Will the exhaust be available as turn-downs only? Or will there be a configuration like the earlier pic that shows larger mufflers out the back?
Yes, full-length and muffler/turn-down exhaust systems will both be available...check out post#110 on the previous page to see photos of the muffler/turn-down system.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default fox body x mission crossmember

Tod is it one x member for all of the transmissions or a separate x member for each transmission?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
Tod is it one x member for all of the transmissions or a separate x member for each transmission?
Two different crossmembers and three different adapters are required to accomodate all the transmissions covered in the application (9 transmissions total). The crossmember just depicted covers Powerglide, TH350 and TKO installations and the other crossmember I featured previously in the thread covers T56 and T56 Magnum transmissions directly and TH400, 2004R, 4L60-4L70 and 4L80/4L85 transmissions with the adapters mentioned. If you go back through the thread to the other crossmember you should be able to spot the adapters installed between each trans and the crossmember.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Sorry Chuck, I just noticed this post from you. I can't put out any release dates for any of the parts in this system yet, but I should have a good estimate in a couple of weeks from now.
I have time, not starting the swap till after HRPT. Maybe you guys will have it on display by then.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Just Chuck
I have time, not starting the swap till after HRPT. Maybe you guys will have it on display by then.
The parts will absolutely be available before then, but I don't know if they will be displaying these specific parts during HRPT. That would be a great opportunity to give guys a hands-on view of the parts to see the quality in their design and fabrication.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

OK, the first aftermarket K-member up for evaluation/validation with the Hooker components is the Maximum Motorsports standard Fox Body K-member. Don't confuse this with the MM Fox Body engine swap K-member they sell that is based around the use of 4.6L mod motor mounts; the geometry of that K-member is completely different and not compatible with the Hooker components.

This K-member is a very nice piece and mimics the geometry of the stock K-member very closely; it has been validated to be compatible for use with the Hooker Fox body engine brackets, long-tube headers, transmission crossmembers and exhaust systems as long as the user is willing to drill a 1/2" hole in both sides of the engine mount pads in a location that will be described in the Hooker engine bracket instructions. As with the stock K-member, installation is going to require the use of the upcoming Holley oil pan designed specifically for this application, which is a modified version of the Holley 302-2 pan.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey guys, here's a nice feature of this system that I thought would be worth posting about...the Hooker engine brackets and headers both allow the use of the stock steering shaft and rag joint coupler, so changing those parts out for aftermarket pieces becomes a choice for the user, not a requirement like it with most currently available parts(i.e. $$$$ saved). This has been validated to be the case with both the stock and MM K-members and I will be checking the others K-members for the same compatibility.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will the F-body AC compressor fit with the MM k-member? I presume yes but just need to ask.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Will the F-body AC compressor fit with the MM k-member? I presume yes but just need to ask.

Thanks.
I'll have to investigate that for you sometime this week.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I can confirm that the F-body bracket and compressor will clear the engine mounts and MM K-member with no problem, but I have no idea as to how much interference they will have with the anti-sway bar and/or frame brackets.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I was cleared by management today to bring in and evaluate the Team Z and AJE
K-members for compatibility with the Hooker system of components. That info may help some of you in the planning stages of their swaps. I've got them both on order and should receive them in a couple of days.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I can confirm that the F-body bracket and compressor will clear the engine mounts and MM K-member with no problem, but I have no idea as to how much interference they will have with the anti-sway bar and/or frame brackets.
Apparently at Holley "sometime this week" means "in the next 20 minutes".

I had to chuckle. Hope your boss gives you a good yearly review.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Apparently at Holley "sometime this week" means "in the next 20 minutes".

I had to chuckle. Hope your boss gives you a good yearly review.

Thanks
Yeah, as soon as I posted my response I realized the opportunity was present to be able to verify that fitment immediately. Like for most everyone these days, my yearly reviews usually do go well from the "atta boy" perspective.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I started working with the AJE K-member in the validation fixture today...the Hooker headers clear every part of it great and so it will be getting a specific set of engine brackets developed for it. This will allow you guys running this K-member to be able to bolt-in the same Hooker headers, transmission crossmembers and exhaust systems as someone running a stock or Maximum Motorsports K-member.

I've been in contact with the folks at Team Z and they are sending me K-member samples to work with as well, so we'll have some very good options for Fox body LS swaps when it's all wrapped up.

Here's a parting shot of the AJE K-member installed in my fixture that I'll leave you guys with on my way out the door.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, I'll be waiting for the AJE brackets.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I came into work this morning to knock-out the prototyping of the engine brackets for the AJE K-member so I can get a jump on next week's busy schedule. Once the brackets were tacked up, I test fit the three oil pans I have in my possession (Holley 302-1 and 302-2 cast aluminum pans and the Weiand fabricated steel LS pan) and can report to those that want to use any of those three that they all will fit with no issues and bottom of their sumps are all well above the bottom of the AJE K-member front bar.

In terms of engine positioning is concerned, the bellhousing mating plane is approximately 1/4" behind that of the stock 302 pushrod engine; the crankshaft height and inclination angle is the same as the stock 302 pulled from the 93 LX car being used for development.

Here's some images I took for my development file...

Holley 302-1 oil pan

Holley 302-2 oil pan

Weiand oil pan

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread