Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Todd,

Looks fantastic. I imagine doing the LT swap components will be fairly easy and fast given the use of that mock-up cradle!

Andrew
Old 04-08-2017, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Todd,

Looks fantastic. I imagine doing the LT swap components will be fairly easy and fast given the use of that mock-up cradle!

Andrew
Hey Andrew. Oh yeah, the effort expended to design and build the validation fixture is going to be rewarded on a few future Fox Body projects...the LT swap you mentioned and a Coyote engine swap set-up will be the most immediate.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I got to see this car when I was at Holley for the Dealer EFI training class. Holley is a really cool place.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I got to see this car when I was at Holley for the Dealer EFI training class. Holley is a really cool place.
Thanks for sharing your impression of the environment at Holley...there are a lot of skilled, enthusiastic folks there working hard to bring quality products to the market. I'm glad you were able to visit.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Today I got the engine brackets I prototyped for the AJE K-member cut out on the water jet and welded up for test fitting...they fit great.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Looks like the engine can sit a lot lower. Is that desirable for cars that have lowered suspension?

Maybe these mounts can have two positions: high and low? Just thinking out loud...

Andrew
Old 04-12-2017, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Looks like the engine can sit a lot lower. Is that desirable for cars that have lowered suspension?

Maybe these mounts can have two positions: high and low? Just thinking out loud...

Andrew
Good thinking Andrew...I'm already ahead of you and getting ready to install the second set of brackets I cut out that drop the front of the engine 1/2". There is quite a bit of room between the pan and the steering rack on the AJE and Team Z K-members as they both drop the rack 1-1/4" from the stock position...users of these K-members are going to be spending extra cash beyond the K-member cost to get the bump-steer to an acceptable setting.

The first set depicted maintains the stock crankshaft height and inclination angle.

Last edited by Toddoky; 04-12-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's comparative shots of the engine height with the 1/2"-drop engine brackets Andrew. At this engine height, the stock truck intake manifold and alternator/bracket will clear the stock hood.

Incidentally, you can achieve the same underhood clearance with the standard Hooker Fox body brackets used on the stock OE and Maximum Motorsports K-members by using 1/2" K-member shims and you'll still end up with a steering rack height that's far cheaper/easier to achieve acceptable bump-steer with compared to the AJE and Team Z Motorsports K-members.

The Hooker system of parts will finally allow Fox body LS swaps to be carried out in stages as one's budget permits, instead of making the replacement of other parts (i.e. aftermarket K-members, bump-steer kits, steering shafts) a requirement just to get the engine in.

Last edited by Toddoky; 04-12-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lower the engine, will the exhaust and headers be too low?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Your fabrication work sir is absolutely amazing!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AFTER HOURS MOTORSP
If you lower the engine, will the exhaust and headers be too low?
It will certainly be lower than with the engine installed at stock crankshaft height, but not enough to present issues to someone setting up their Fox body as a drag car. I still have some evaluating to do with oil pans and other components, so it's possible the final drop in the brackets may end up at 3/8" instead of 1/2". I'll be back on it today.

Update: After completing the validation process, the measured results relative to changing from the stock height engine brackets to the 1/2"-drop engine brackets are as follows:

Engine inclination angle change- 2.2 to 1.4 degrees
Ground clearance decrease at header collectors- 1/4"
Ground clearance decrease of exhaust system rear of X-pipe inlets- 0"

The engine inclination angle change will be even less when the car is equipped with a transmission that has a mount positioned further rearward than the TH350/PG mount position used in the mock-up (i.e. T56, TH400 or 4L80).

The ground clearance decrease is as minimal as it is due to the header collectors being located closer to the transmission crossmember (fulcrum) than to the engine brackets.

Last edited by Toddoky; 04-13-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BeThatGuy
Your fabrication work sir is absolutely amazing!
Thanks for the complement, I appreciate it.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Today I got the engine brackets I prototyped for the AJE K-member cut out on the water jet and welded up for test fitting...they fit great.
What will the advantage be to use the Hooker motor mounts over the AJE motor mounts? Will your headers fit with either?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Just Chuck
What will the advantage be to use the Hooker motor mounts over the AJE motor mounts? Will your headers fit with either?
I can't say what the AJE brackets provide in terms of the engine fore/aft position or offset, or crankshaft height/inclination angle as I don't have them in my possession to evaluate.

What I can tell you is the Hooker brackets maintain the stock engine offset to provide compatibility with the Hooker transmission crossmembers. That characteristic means you will be able to install a Powerglide, TH350, TH400, 2004R, 4L60-4L70, 4L80-4L85, T56, T56 Magnum or TKO engine into a Fox Body behind an LS using the Hooker engine brackets and they will all be compatible with the Hooker headers.

If the AJE brackets center the engine in the K-member, then it is likely to cause interference between the headers and the steering shaft.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I have an important application update to report from the results of a design review I just wrapped-up with management...

We will be releasing two sets of engine brackets each for the AJE and Team Z Motorsports K-members to provide the user with the choice of installing the engine at the stock crankshaft height, or at a 1/2" dropped position.

This will provide a user the ability to achieve the different advantages inherent to each position.

The stock crankshaft height position will provide maximum header ground clearance and the most room available under the oil pan to use offset rack bushings to assist in adjusting the bump-steer of the front suspension. This is also the height you would want to use if you are only moderately lowering the car (1" drop) and don't want to have to invest in adjustable rear upper control arms for resetting your pinion angle.

The 1/2" drop crankshaft position will provide extra under-hood clearance (i.e. fitting the truck accessory drive alternator under the stock hood), the greater ability to dial in optimized U-joint working angles on cars lowered more than an inch, and extra transmission clearance for top-side challenged transmission installations such as the TKO transmissions. These advantages come at the cost of approximately 1/4" less ground clearance of the header collectors.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

OK guys, I've taken photos of the stock height and 1/2" drop engine brackets for the AJE K-member with the Holley 302-1 and 302-2 oil pans as well as the Weiand fabricated steel oil pan so that a clear visual representation of the clearance difference between them can be observed. The Holley 302-1 is shown in the first to photos followed by the Holley 302-2 and finally the Weiand pan. The 302-1 is just barely kissing the top of the PS rack with the 1/2" drop brackets, but would easily clear a manual rack...

Old 04-24-2017, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 04-25-2017, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I can't say what the AJE brackets provide in terms of the engine fore/aft position or offset, or crankshaft height/inclination angle as I don't have them in my possession to evaluate.

What I can tell you is the Hooker brackets maintain the stock engine offset to provide compatibility with the Hooker transmission crossmembers. That characteristic means you will be able to install a Powerglide, TH350, TH400, 2004R, 4L60-4L70, 4L80-4L85, T56, T56 Magnum or TKO engine into a Fox Body behind an LS using the Hooker engine brackets and they will all be compatible with the Hooker headers.

If the AJE brackets center the engine in the K-member, then it is likely to cause interference between the headers and the steering shaft.
I like the way you think. Hopefully this stuff hits the market before July when I'm starting the swap.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

any idea when this stuff will hit the market ??? picking up a fox sat.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Just Chuck
I like the way you think. Hopefully this stuff hits the market before July when I'm starting the swap.
Oh yeah, it'll be ready for you.

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread