Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Default New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread

Hey Guys, I jumped into the development of this swap system a couple of days ago and will have preliminary fitment data available to start sharing by the middle of next week. One thing I can share at this early stage is that there is definately less fitment room to work with in a Fox body than there is in an SN95...more to come.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subbing. Excited to see what Holley comes up with for the fox platform. Are these going to be based around the stock k member?
Old 10-14-2016, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I thought this has been going on for a while? 6 months or so.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I thought this has been going on for a while? 6 months or so.
No Jimbo, I just completed development of the SN95 swap system and haven't touched a Fox body until this week.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z28-4-Chris
Subbing. Excited to see what Holley comes up with for the fox platform. Are these going to be based around the stock k member?
Welcome aboard Chris. Yes, the stock K-member will be used for development, so those that wish to use an aftermarket K-member will need to stay tuned to how we address the compatibility of these new parts with those assemblies.

Last edited by Toddoky; 10-26-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

This should be great
Old 10-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Will the turbo manifold set up work with this
Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by AFTER HOURS MOTORSP
Will the turbo manifold set up work with this
If you're talking about the upcoming Holley/Hooker turbo log, then I suspect it will.

Andrew
Old 10-15-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, as Andrew stated above, I expect that it will and validation of its fitment will be part of the development of this system of parts.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Development update- 5/27/17. I have updated this post to reflect the final outcome of the development phase of this swap application to ensure the provided information is relevant to the production parts that will be offered by Hooker/Holley.

Components have been developed that will allow an LS swap into a Fox Body using the stock Fox Body, or specific Maximum Motorsports, AJE or Team Z Motorsports K-members. Use of the AJE or Team Z Motorsports K-members will provide those most flexibility in oil pan choice; the stock and Maximum Motorsports K-members will require the use of the new Holley 302-3 oil pan that is coming soon. Optional 1/2"-drop engine brackets (AJE and Team Z K-members), or 1/2" K-member spacers (stock and Maximum Motorsports K-members) can be used to obtain increased under-hood component and transmission clearance, while still maintaining compatibility with the Hooker transmission crossmembers, headers and exhaust systems for this application

The installed engine geometry that will be provided from the engine brackets and transmission crossmember/adapters in the system will replicate the stock 302/5.0 engine crankshaft centerline height and inclination angle, or drop it 1/2" with the use of the available optional engine brackets previously mentioned. The engine/transmission mounting plane will lie 1/2" further back towards the rear of the car than the stock 302 mating plane, which puts the passenger side cylinder head 3/4" from the firewall.

Some of you who have carried out this swap previously may have gotten to this point before and found it impossible to get the engine low enough to achieve these same geometric results, which I can understand since the power steering rack height and available oil pan geometries conspire against obtaining these installed characteristics.

The new Holley 302-3 pan must be used to provide the installation clearance needed when using the stock or Maximum Motorsports
K-members; the AJE and Team Z K-members can use any Holley or Weiand brand LS oil pan. The frame side engine mounting brackets for the stock and Maximum Motorsports K-members will be configured to use 4th-gen F-body engine mounts, which are readily available in the aftermarket in polyurethane and solid forms. The engine brackets for the AJE and Team Z K-members will each be designed to provide to connect to the triangulated engine stand mounts on these K-members and provided the same engine position (height and offset)as the stock K-member brackets do.

Two distinct crossmembers and a couple of adapters have been developed to provide installation of a Powerglide, TH350, TH400, 2004R, 4L60-4L70, 4L80/4L85, TKO or T56/T56 Magnum transmission.

Last edited by Toddoky; 05-27-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

I may be jumping the gun, but what price point are we looking at?
Old 10-26-2016, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z28-4-Chris
I may be jumping the gun, but what price point are we looking at?
Yeah, you're a bit ahead of me at the moment. I won't be able to give you an idea on prices until I optimize the components in CAD for manufacturability so I know what our costs will be. When I do get to that point, I'll be glad to post price related info.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Development update- 11/2/16- During discussions in a design review meeting this past week, we determined the required use of K-member shims with the stock K-member was not the way we wanted to go with the development of this system, which caused me to re-configure of the engine mounting brackets to provide the required installed engine mounting geometry without having to disturb the factory K-member at all.

This was a good decision to make as it will produce better end results for the user and greatly reduce the effort and cost to complete this swap using the stock K-member.

In order to get the geometry to work out, we had to commit to revising the geometry of one of the Holley oil pans in order to clear the power steering rack, so we are really putting in the work to create a comprehensive system for the Fox Body guys. The crankshaft centerline position/height is still aligned with the stock 302/5.0L crankshaft geometry as it was before when using the K-member spacers in the mock-up.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lurking...
Old 11-02-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by holley505
Lurking...
Welcome, lurk-away.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
If you're talking about the upcoming Holley/Hooker turbo log, then I suspect it will.

Andrew
Was there a thread that I missed regarding a prototype log manifold? Link?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Was there a thread that I missed regarding a prototype log manifold? Link?
You've probably come across a couple photos of a 3D printed model of the upcoming Hooker turbo manifold set-up that was on display at LS Fest. That working prototype is currently on display at the SEMA show and I will be test fitting it in the Fox Body development car when it makes its way back here following the show. I will share fitment photos/information about it following the results of that evaluation.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

I am very curious about that manifold. Can you start another thread dedicated to that? I don't want to continue cluttering this one up.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
I am very curious about that manifold. Can you start another thread dedicated to that? I don't want to continue cluttering this one up.
I won't be starting or managing a thread dedicated solely to the turbo manifold set-up as it's not one of my design projects here at Holley. I will however answer any specific questions you may have regarding its specific fitment to this swap application once I get the ability to validate it in the car, which should happen next week. The turbo manifolds are still receiving last minute design tweaks, so it's too early to expect to find released specifications on them just yet.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky
In order to get the geometry to work out, we had to commit to revising the geometry of one of the Holley oil pans in order to clear the power steering rack, so we are really putting in the work to create a comprehensive system for the Fox Body guys. The crankshaft centerline position/height is still aligned with the stock 302/5.0L crankshaft geometry as it was before when using the K-member spacers in the mock-up.
Been there.

So how different will the new "302-3" pan be? I'm guessing at the name...

Will it put the transition from the front of the pan to the sump back further than the 302-2? I got the 302-2 to work, but my engine is about 3" behind where the 5.0 would have been, and I cannot weld the motor mount bolts to the mounts, otherwise I can't drop the engine onto the k-member, because the T56 jams into the tunnel or the heads hit the firewall. Not really a big deal putting a wrench on a bolt head.

If a "302-3" can let me keep the engine where it is, or move it down, while simultaneously moving the steering rack upwards for better bump steer / ackerman, then I would probably buy it (eventually).

Quick Reply: New Hooker Fox Body Mustang LS Swap System Preview Thread