Well, getting back to the project at hand, it was time to start modifying the fuel tank. I feel like I have to apologize in advance for some of the pictures. Some of them are so bad they're hard to look at, but you will get the idea anyway.
I started off by figuring out where I wanted the pump to be mounted, then drilled a few small holes to be able to get an accurate measurement of the depth of the tank. It was right at 10 1/2" deep.
This is one of those bad pics...... But, it shows the fuel bucket/pump I wanted to use, along with the one I ended up using. The one on the left is from a 2005 truck, and has the pressure regulator built into it requiring only a feed line to be run to the engine. I was going to use the shorter Tahoe one, but it was just going to be way too big on top to fit my tank, so I ended up using the 2002 Tahoe pump on the right, and will run the corvette filter/regulator.
I needed the pump to be flush with the top of the tank to avoid having to cut the floor of the car out, so I bent this up on the sheet metal brake. It will be trimmed to be an inch and a half tall. The pump is 9 1/4" tall, so when it's put in, it will compress a quarter of an inch and be at the bottom of the tank.
Then I started cutting out the fuel pump mounting brackets. The first pic is actually one I made for the '05 pump that turned out to be too big....
Then I drilled the holes and tapped them for the bolts. I cut the heads off the bolts and plug welded them from the bottom, then put a small tack on the outside of each one.
In this pic you can see both rings and that the box I bent up has had the corners cut off and welded up so it fits the location better.
It needed to be angled, so I marked where it needed to be cut.
And trimmed the tank for it.
After all the cutting was done and before any welding, I needed to clean the inside of the tank. Dawn cleans things up really well.
I wiped the whole inside out with an old rag to make sure the inside was spotless....
Then rinsed it out several times and blew it dry with the air hose. Looking pretty clean!
Then I trimmed up the tray and started tack welding it in.
By turning the tray at an angle, it was slightly too short, so I made a filler piece for it.
Then welded it all in solid.
Then cleaned it all up, and checked for any pinholes I may have missed by the hi-tech method of turning out all the lights in the shop and shining a flashlight on the inside of the weld. Found two and rewelded them real quick.
This is a pic of the Airtex piece of junk pump I got at the Pick-n-Pull to use for mock up next to the new Delphi pump. the Delphi pump has the jet pump built into it to keep the bucket full at all times unlike the cheap Airtex one. Ironically, the Delphi pump was cheaper on Amazon than the cheap chinese crap ones the auto parts stores sell........
New pump and Vette filter.
New pump installed to make sure everything is going to work.
A shot through the fuel filler showing the pump module sitting flat on the bottom of the tank.