Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet anoither sloppy Volvo 940 wagon 6.0L 4L80 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
You've made incredibly fast progress on this swap. I have to laugh at all the guys that say the Volvo swaps have been done to death. How many have you seen in person? This Volvo will be no-less fun because someone one state over might have also put an LS in a beater 850, nor will the guy next to you at a stop light be any less surprised. Awesome work -- keep it up.
To be fair, the 850's FWD, so if somebody has an LSx in one, that's some crazy impressive fab work (or an LS4).
Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
This can be said for just about any swap. We are constantly being exposed to these swaps because of this forum, but in the real world swaps are pretty rare.

When I attend any sort of local show, I see maybe one swap besides mine...and that's being generous...

Andrew
Exactly!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SO I haven't posted here in a while. I took some time off of the Volvo to build a hot side for a 5.3 Monte SS turbo swap. But I did manage to get it back into the shop and wire the fuel pumps up. I also wired in an LS3 MAF connector but I'm not certain I got it right as the IAT creep up slowly with the key on. I'm also getting a cam sensor circuit low code which probably explains the extended crank. And a misfire which I think is a couple of stuck injectors. The clanging in the start of the video is my bent $10 swap meet shop fan. But it did start and run! Idles like crap as it's a stock tune with the stage 3 cam, square port heads and 102mm throttle body...

Old 03-08-2017, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

This can be said for just about any swap. We are constantly being exposed to these swaps because of this forum, but in the real world swaps are pretty rare.

When I attend any sort of local show, I see maybe one swap besides mine...and that's being generous...

Andrew
Guess the answer varies geographically and with the size of the show/town -- many (more than a dozen) LS swaps into all sorts of things at Cars&Coffee here Saturday....hell, there were two LS-242 Volvo's! And the 2-doors are few and far between anyhow....

Nonetheless, the 940 has come along nicely.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 03-08-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Guess the answer varies geographically and with the size of the show/town -- many (more than a dozen) LS swaps into all sorts of things at Cars&Coffee here Saturday....hell, there were two LS-242 Volvo's! And the 2-doors are few and far between anyhow....

Nonetheless, the 940 has come along nicely.
There is also an element of self-selection bias at play here. People that tend to do LS swaps are individuals that are more inclined to drive their cars, thus, would be better represented at an event such as Cars and Coffee.

At the C&C in Memphis, my GTO was the only LS swap I ever saw. At a recent W of Wheels show in Birmingham, I counted 10 LS swaps. Not sure what the total car count was, but had to be over 100..so 10%, give or take.

Andrew
Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

There is also an element of self-selection bias at play here. People that tend to do LS swaps are individuals that are more inclined to drive their cars, thus, would be better represented at an event such as Cars and Coffee.

At the C&C in Memphis, my GTO was the only LS swap I ever saw. At a recent W of Wheels show in Birmingham, I counted 10 LS swaps. Not sure what the total car count was, but had to be over 100..so 10%, give or take.

Andrew
You made me chuckle Andrew -- your personal examples (C&C Memphis and WofW in B'ham) seem to be in conflict with your "self selection bias" comment. BTW, there were 3 Pontiacs here Sat. - 67 GTO with LS2 out of a late model GTO, and a 69 GTO with LQ4, 65 LeMans/GTO clone with a 5.3.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

The comment about W of W is not related to self-selection bias. It was merely another datum point.

Andrew
Old 03-08-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

That's why the chuckle -- applying my own 'bias' to the samples. Agree on C&C - it's nature is drive what you have/built. I've been to a few World of Wheels shows over the years (and others like that) -- no shortage of trailer queens. Nothing wrong with trailer queens, just not my bag. And plenty of LS motors, from my bias, at both. I suppose it's no different than 50 years ago with the original sbc -- they're relatively compact, reliable and supply exceeds demand so the prices for used units are reasonable. So they show up regularly.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A good friend of mine stopped by tonight and put a basic tune in it so that it will actually idle. It was off quite a bit. A couple of issues popped up like there was a split in the Volvo overflow bottle so it pissed all over the place. The headers are touching in 2 spots causing a heack of a racket. Still no cam sensor signal so I will have to chase that down. I also crossed 2 wires on the maf (used an 08 Silverado schematic instead of the LS3 one) I also need to swap to a Silverado throttle cable as my contraption is only getting 77% throttle opening.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work! Keep it up.

I agree that more people talk about swaps than actually get them on the road. Or someone pays big money for a show car swap that doesn't really see the pavement.

Last edited by APillow; 03-22-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My clanging noise turned out to be torque converter bolts that were a C hair too long. Fixed with a washer under each. Still need to wire the cooling fan, waiting on a new overflow bottle then I need to chase the cam sensor which is still not reading. It will have to wait until I am back from AZ taking care of stuff for my ailing mother.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So long story short I've been swamped at work so I've had little time for the wagon. I did have an issue with the 12v ref for the cam signal which I traced back to a bad PCM (no signal out) I cured that by just running a keyed 12v to the 631 ref circuit and the cam sensor is working. Fixed a leaking fuel connector, roughed in a start and idle tune and started replacing the hokey throttle linkage with a proper silverado cable. Having to modify the cable and pedal to work correctly but it's almost done. I'm ditching the B&M ratchet shifter because they are miserable...Free doesn't even cut it! So as soon as I can bleed the rear brakes I can start finishing the drive tune. Way lean at the moment but I did take it up the road and back...
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a little lumpy cam...

Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got the tune 80% sorted out. Drove it around for a week or so. Actually drove pretty good considering the crappy suspension. Wound up selling it to fund the next project.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jfg455
Wound up selling it to fund the next project.

Quick Reply: Yet anoither sloppy Volvo 940 wagon 6.0L 4L80 swap