Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1961 Impala 2 door hard top mild custom

Old 03-13-2019, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
It's funny how dead weight is harder to lift, isn't it? But you're strong enough you could still make it happen. Haha!
What are you trying to say? Is there a story behind this I need to know about? Then again maybe I don't want to know the story... Haha!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
What are you trying to say? Is there a story behind this I need to know about? Then again maybe I don't want to know the story... Haha!
Uhhhh no, not at all.... as far as you know... and yeah... you REALLY don't wanna know... LOL
Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
Well, you said if she passed out, it would be hard to get her to go to the shows, so I was just saying you could just chuck her in the car and go. But you're asking how I know dead weight is heavier? How's the old saying go? A friend will help you move.....A good friend will help you move the bodies! Haha!!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Well, you said if she passed out, it would be hard to get her to go to the shows, so I was just saying you could just chuck her in the car and go. But you're asking how I know dead weight is heavier? How's the old saying go? A friend will help you move.....A good friend will help you move the bodies! Haha!!
You do seem to own and have owned a lot of trucks... Hmmm... Hahaha!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Iíve been using my cheap, modified bead roller for a while but always found the crank handle awkward for solo use. As the handle rotates your body needs to change position which skews your perspective and sometimes shifts the part.

I would like to have a motorized unit but I donít use this tool often enough to justify the cost Ė maybe one day. I created a four spoke wheel to replace the crank handle on the bead roller. Now I only have to reach 90į from any point which keeps my position stable in relation to the part.

What you see is less than $4 in steel from my local cut metal supplier.

Cutting the hub.

Tapped and bolt installed.

Spokes

Finished four spoke unit compared to the original handle.

Installed.

Start to finish is probably around an hour and made my bead roller much more usable for single person operation.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Test fit of the trunk floor brace notches I made earlier. I’ve had the trunk floor pan in and out of the car enough that I can install it and the rear bumper with minimal drama.

Thanks to a lot of careful planning, both sides fit perfectly first time out. Trunk floor needs to come out again to finish some welding and add the valance mount.

Difficult to tell even in the last image but the 1962 Impala trunk floor brace (new metal) would hit the 1961 Impala bumper bracket (rusty metal) if I didn’t make the pocket above. This forced the back bumper to stick out farther rearward than factory and hang down at a goofy angle. If that isn’t enough, the 1962 replacement panel I used also didn’t have a mount for my rear valance panels. This is another example of where the 1962 replacement panel is only about 60% of what it needs to be for a 1961 car. Since no one makes a 1961 replacement panel I had to make my own from what I had or could get.

One more hurdle has been crossed…
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Class indeed.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Fantastic work!

Andrew
Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys!

As shown above I reinstalled the trunk floor so I could measure, make and fit some more parts you canít buy for this car. Started messing with more stuff over the weekend and ran into a snag. With the bead roller secured in my bench vice (how Iíve used it for years) it can only make a 28Ē linear run until it hits the wall or tool box. Rotating the vice the opposite direction wonít help because the crank handle moves over the bench. Well frack. If I had one of those fancy motorized bead rollers or a stand this wouldnít be an issue. This run needs to be 48Ē so I guess I need to build a temporary stand from junk I have lying about.

This project exemplifies why I really need a powered bead roller on a stand. Iím able to get things done with what have and make what I need (case in point) so that is the important part for now. Iíll work on something nicer later, right now function is key.

What I came up with as a temporary stand.

Anyway, I need to make this. Itís pretty beat up but makes a great template.

Today's goal.

Start here.

Go here.

After several laps through the bead roller and a couple die changes we now have this which is only rough trimmed.

A bit more trimming and a quick test fit on the car.

Overall shot to show where it goes.

Fits pretty well for a guy working at home with fairly basic tools. I still need to trim the part properly. Once that is complete I'll make and add the final portion that holds the trunk seal.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

More class...
Old 03-29-2019, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looking good. Sometimes you just got to do functional over form. Sometimes the form never gets done when it works and there are better things to do...
Old 03-29-2019, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Karl I already decided this will be an interim piece. I'll build a better one later now that I know where I can improve. The good thing is making that panel upped my bead rolling game and moves the project forward immensely and allows me to work on other important and directly related parts.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Know what you mean - there were a number of times on mine over the decades when I fabbed a little part or engineered a fix, and once I saw how to get from A to B, I went back and remade it with improvements.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Improving is what it's all about. This is good enough for now, but there are lots of things I want to address before I actually paint the car. Most are things I simply can't access well with the car assembled and body on the frame. As much as I dislike redoing things, I've created a situation where I'm forced to because I want to keep driving the car which is fine.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

6 weeks -- what's up?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
6 weeks -- what's up?
Car show season has begun. Its hard to get anything done when you're sitting under an EZ-Up in downtown Parkville..... LOL!!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Zing!
Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Crickets...He ok?
Old 07-03-2019, 01:15 AM
Teching In

looks like Alot of hard work
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

6 weeks -- what's up?
Geez, it feels like forever.

Car show season has begun. Its hard to get anything done when you're sitting under an EZ-Up in downtown Parkville..... LOL!!
Hey, someone's gotta do it!

Zing!
He doesn't need your help. I swear he's stalking me or we know the same people and hang out in the same places. Haha

Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd1 View Post
Crickets...He ok?
Yep, alive and well. Just busier than a one armed kite flyer in a hurricane. Hoping to get some car updates going soon.

Originally Posted by Daniel R View Post
looks like Alot of hard work
Thanks man! It has been a lot of work but it's also fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1961 Impala 2 door hard top mild custom

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: