Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to ls1 tech and also 5.3 swaps lol

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ls1 tech and also 5.3 swaps lol

I'm working on a 98 sierra 4.3 that has been swamped with a 5.3 I am just about complete the only thing that I'm losing sleep over is wiring everything up I have never done wiring and to be honest I am new under the hood if someone can help me in any way I would really appreciate it
Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

welcome to here. You didn't say what you have for wiring already but Lt1Swap is a great guide to get you going. Some of your circuits already there to tie into.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 PM

I have the custom harness already I'm just not sure how to go about putting it all together... am I supposed to use the 98 truck harness and tie in the custom harness to the firewall
Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not ask the guy who built your custom harness?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That would be the first step I'd think. I'm sure plenty of people here would be willing to help but without more info it's kind of hard to answer a question like "I have a car, what do I do now" if you know what I mean.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:34 AM

Alright well the harness is labeled for everything so I'm trying to find out how I go about wiring it..do I wire it to the firewall cluster ?? And also does anyone know where I can get the firewall cluster pinouts for a 98 sierra. Idk maybe I shouldn't be doing this lol if I could get the right help maybe I could...if there's any info I can give you to help me just tell me thanks
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as the others stated, ask the folks that supplied your wiring harness or look in the diagrams they hopefully have supplied with it. I have not seen any of the aftermarket harnesses that require you to re-pin the firewall connector, but that might be how they designed that one. All of the ones I have seen go into the fusebox or some other known good source of constant and switched 12v.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:22 AM

Sorry if I seem like idk what I'm doing because I don't lol but let me try to explain... the harness is for a 5.3 with 4l60e it has a fuse block that I'm assuming is for fuel pump coils fan and I'm not sure what else but it has 3 relays one for fuel pump and the others are for fan 1 and 2 I am using the 98 sierra harness to run everything else in the truck that doesn't deal with the engine and transmission is there anyone who has done this truck or something similar
Old 12-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Even if someone could explain how they wired there truck up maybe that could help
Old 12-15-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Your harness "stands alone" meaning it should not require too many other connections to the rest of the vehicle. You will need a big gauge +12v lead to feed the fuse panel that is part of the harness.

Now tell us the labels of the other loose wires in the harness. The engine part of the harness is easy, as all the plugs are unique, meaning they can only be plugged in where they are supposed to go. Lay the harness over the engine, with the ECU on the passenger side and you will see that the plugs go naturally to where they are supposed to go.

Post pictures, that will help us help you.

Andrew
Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't understand not asking the people who made it what to do, or to at least give you a diagram. Perhaps I'm dense, but most plugs only fit in one place and if the harness is labeled I'm not sure which part exactly is the part you are stuck on. More info about the harness wouldn't hurt

Quick Reply: New to ls1 tech and also 5.3 swaps lol